Author Topic: Flapjacks  (Read 1600 times)

Flapjacks
« on: 10 October, 2008, 08:55:18 pm »
I'm going on a long MTB ride tomorrow with a few friends, so baked some flapjacks - I think I've discovered the secret for making really really good ones... Ready Brek :P. I added in 50g with 350g of porridge oats, and what's come out of the oven (if I may say so myself :P) are the yummiest flapjacks I've made in a long time...

Along with the Ready Brek and oats went a 250g pack of butter, 8 tablespoons of demerara sugar, 2 tablespoons of caster sugar, 6 tablespoons of golden syrup and 2 tablespoons of molasses. I'd normally stick some apricots in too but we'd run out. Bake at 170 (fan oven, I'd guess 190 normal) for about 30min.

Yum. ;D 

Re: Flapjacks
« Reply #1 on: 10 October, 2008, 08:58:11 pm »
Sounds tops.   Might not put quite so much butter in myself ...     

Craig

« Reply #2 on: 10 October, 2008, 11:06:37 pm »
Honey is still mostly just sugar, so I don't see why it would be much healthier than golden syrup or sugar.
You can use mashed (fairly ripe) banana instead of some of the sugar and fat, I find that works well. And I don't use caster sugar or molasses - I usually just use margarine / demerara sugar / golden syrup, with the oats. Sometimes adding raisins or other dried fruit, and maybe some seeds, eg pumpkin or sunflower.

« Reply #3 on: 12 October, 2008, 01:01:04 pm »
Try (crushed) cornflakes instead of ready brek - it works surprisingly well.

Or, for that real sugar kick, Frosties :P

*searches for toothless smilie*

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:18:47 pm »
*searches for toothless smilie*

Seek and ye shall find. 
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #5 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:20:10 pm »
If our oven wasn't borked at the moment I'd be making some flapjacks right now.     :(

GillP

« Reply #6 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:24:11 pm »
Mrs Wow supplied some very tasty flapjacks on the Pendle witches ride yesterday, Peli even gave some away to a pair of passing cyclists (father and son)  :D