Poll

Roughly how many incident-free miles had you cycled before you were last "in collision" with a motor vehicle?

Less than 1000 miles
1001-5000 miles
5001-10000 miles
10001-20000 miles
20001-30000 miles
30001-40000 miles
40001-50000 miles
More than that
It hasn't happened yet

Author Topic: The "have you been knocked off" poll  (Read 178433 times)

Re: The "have you been knocked off" poll
« Reply #50 on: 25 April, 2010, 05:15:55 pm »
I'm in the under 1000 miles category because I haven't done many miles over the last few years - I was last knocked off in 2004.

« Reply #51 on: 25 April, 2010, 06:07:07 pm »
 One rather humorous event which Jurek may recall as another occasion when his copious supply of zip ties proved indispensable.  
:-X  :)

Last Friday was my first in 20,000+ miles in three and a bit years.

I am now concerned that I have tempted fate by reviewing my off statistics and will ride out tomorrow straight into some vehicle or pedestrian somewhere.

I've never been 100% comfy with discussing prang stats either.... :-\

« Reply #52 on: 25 April, 2010, 06:08:20 pm »
I've never been 100% comfy with discussing prang stats either.... :-\
It's too vague really. Narrowing it down to cheese related prangs would keep the number smaller and make cycling seem less dangerous.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #53 on: 25 April, 2010, 06:13:50 pm »
It's too vague really. Narrowing it down to cheese related prangs would keep the number smaller and make cycling seem less dangerous.  :thumbsup:

For cheese related think less prang, more pringle :thumbsup:

ed_o_brain

« Reply #54 on: 25 April, 2010, 10:08:38 pm »
I plumped for the collision late last year, but I recall a couple years prior to that a moton overtook me when I was riding along a wet and otherwise empty road. Then, with out signalling slammed on and came to a halt - somehow I brought the bike to a stop and having slide sideways, I wound up holding the rear spoiler of the car to stop myself and the bike toppling over. Driver was oblivious!

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #55 on: 26 April, 2010, 09:46:40 am »
Three times in three months in 2000. Took me ages to trust cars approaching junctions after that. Then again a couple of years ago. Damage to bikes but not much to to me.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #56 on: 26 April, 2010, 10:10:13 am »
T-bones by a lady motorist coming out of a junction on a minor road as I was passing ("my foot slipped') about 30 years ago. I've been carrying a minor knee 'niggle' ever since.

OTOH, I've been into the back of a couple of cars. Once when I was about 12 whilst mulling over a 'domestic'. I hit the rear window with a satisfying thud and completely wrote off my bike which was a financial disaster. I went home with blood pouring down my face and wailing, 'my bike, my bike', and a couple of years back I was hauling my way up a hill absent mindedly, rounded a bend and bounced off a landrover stopped at a temporary traffic light, completely writing of the frame (my bike, thatis, not the landranger's. Oops.

Best guess to the rather complicated question is >50k miles, i.e., most of my adult life was incident free.

Spikey

« Reply #57 on: 26 April, 2010, 10:50:05 am »
Last collision was <1000 (about 4 weeks ago), by a car which was overtaking , cutting in and stopping for rbt. Leaning on the car helped me keep my ballance as I was physically pushed over a slippy wet dropped kerb onto the pavement.

Last off (due to collision) probably about 15000 miles, car pulled out and side road, wrote off front forks and dammaged rear pannier in collision.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #58 on: 27 April, 2010, 06:34:49 am »
Looking more Boolean now.  The peak is 10-20,000 miles, or about every five years for me  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #59 on: 27 April, 2010, 09:20:44 am »
I've been cycling seriously (well as serious as I get anyway) for 5 years. I have not had a collision with a motor vehicle directly. (in approx 20-25k miles)

I have had two offs, one caused by a car pulling out on me which meant I had to brake on a slippery surface and ended up hitting the deck. And once on ice. The first one was probably lack of experience really. I probably could have slowed on that surface without going down - I just over braked.

Owner of a languishing Langster

fuzzy

« Reply #60 on: 27 April, 2010, 01:30:37 pm »
My last motor vehicular interface was when knuckles was deaded. About 3000 miles ago when the Tesco delivery van reversed into me.

« Reply #61 on: 28 April, 2010, 12:36:38 am »
About 5 years since my only vehicular interface (therefore of the order 10-12k miles)

low speed interaction in a cross roads, me going right minor to major him straight minor to minor, 5 mph contact no damage to anything. the only points of contact being my left sole on his bonnet and my left pedal on his bumper.

Edit: read the bloody question, I'm guessing 30k miles in 15 years riding prior to that incident

« Reply #62 on: 28 April, 2010, 10:18:07 pm »
43 years of incident free cycling then on November 26th 2009,
a little old lady driving a Nissen Micra done a hit and run on me
and I'm stiill suffering from the injuries I recieved.
Recumbent Riders will rule the world........(maybe)

have a look here
Flickr: bottlemasher's Photostream

spindrift

« Reply #63 on: 28 April, 2010, 10:22:42 pm »
I've only been hit by a car twice, once the chap drove into me from a side street, then an unregistered (the number plate couldn't be traced) car hit me I think on purpose.

All the others have been non-vehicular.

Cycled as fast as I could uphill, and smacked into a parked Morris Minor. Bruised chin.

Doored in exactly the same place in Norwich, going the other way, downhill, did a perfect somersault, landed on my arse. After a fag sat against the wall I realised my only injury was a scratched thumb. The driver couldn't shut his car door afterwards so we called it quits.

Smacked into a nurse on an overgrown cycle path near Limehouse. My LCC insurance paid for her new bike. She was quite foxy.

Bust a rib on London Bridge because of a pedestrian on a mobile. I was gasping for breath in a heap and she mouthed "Oooh" as she walked in front of me, still on a mobile.

Then my diesel spill, warning arse content:

Picasa Web Albums - solomonsky - richard and s...

« Reply #64 on: 28 April, 2010, 10:35:01 pm »
1989 clipped by car on roundabout, wrecked back wheel but no injuries. Then nothing until 2005 when I got hit by a car turning right through stationary traffic, cuts and bruises but no damage to the bike. Then in 2007 I got rear ended, spent an afternoon in A&E and three weeks of work with deep tissue bruising, I couldn't lie down for three weeks, brand new bike scuffs and scratches. 

« Reply #65 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:50:26 pm »
I answered not yet, but there was a rear wheel pringling incident <1000 miles ago while I was waiting to turn right at a T junction and a moron in a car behind me "thought I'd gone". But didn't think to actually look before pulling away himself. Oh yes, the anger is coming back now!

Other than that I've come off the bike through collision with one pothole and one pedestrian, and had a handful of near misses, only one of which was my fault.

Is there a way to change your submitted vote?

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #66 on: 30 April, 2010, 12:22:58 pm »
I havn't actually hit a car ,I did have a bad break of my collar bone when I swerved to avoid hitting a car who pulled straight across me .severity of swerve meant I lost control and  ended up in a very painful heap in the road .Not sure if this counts .Prefered wisdom after was I should have run into the car as the bike would have absorbed much of the impact  ::-)but I'm not sure that sort of logic entered my head in the split seconds of time I had to consider it.

Gaz

« Reply #67 on: 02 May, 2010, 05:16:01 pm »
i had a car pull out of a T junction and side swipe me, it pushed me into on coming traffic but luckily everyone stopped in time!!
Front of the bike destroyed and only minor damage to my shoulder and leg, back into work 2 days later and back on the bike a week later.
Follow me on Twitter
My Youtube Channel - Urban Cycling - Dangerous driving and cycling.

« Reply #68 on: 07 May, 2010, 03:06:49 pm »
I've gone for nearly 30000 miles as a rough guestimate.

About 1971 hit by a car turning out of a side road on Seven Sisters Road, Tottenham - the driver turned out not to have a licence or insurance, and those where the days when that was treated with some degree of gravity. Scrapes and scratches - bike OK.
Possibly the next year - driven of the road in France by a BIG lorry - before we had BIG lorries like that in blighty. Scraped leg, bike thankfully OK.
And still maybe in 1972, I mistook a green left turn filter light for a straight on proper green light, somewhere in Finchley - made a mess of my front wheel and my ego. No injuries.

Since then it's just be me and the laws of nature (hmmmm.... are dropped curbs that aren't dropped natural?) and multiple near misses.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

RainOrShine

« Reply #69 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:09:50 pm »
Had to guess at up to 20k miles.  Knocked off at traffic lights in 2005, still no recollection of what actually happened due to concussion.

Lycra Man

• SR 2011, 2012 & RRTY
« Reply #70 on: 18 May, 2010, 01:05:09 pm »
I've not been knocked off by a car. My only car interface was 46 years ago when I was at school in Wells. I failed to stop and ran into the car in front, bending the front forks in a terminal way. I was unhurt, although petrified as the rear wheel came off the ground. I cam to earht sideways on, landing on my feet. Driver  was sympathetic. (Rider was pathetic.)

Bloomin' rod brakes. Useless.

Lycra Man

« Reply #71 on: 18 May, 2010, 10:50:26 pm »
I can't work out how many miles I've ridden since I had my only (so far) SMIDSY.
But it was in 1977! 
I came onto a roundabout at dusk, from the west, down an incline, very fast (for a sit-up-and-beg Rudge with Sturmey-Archer gears) with no lights (wasn't lighting up time - quite - that's why I was in a hurry).  I was going straight across.  The car was coming from my left.

I actually had a lot of sympathy with the driver at the time and, since I've been driving myself, even more so.
I was in the 'right' but I wouldn't have been very visible under the circumstances.

S
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #72 on: 27 May, 2010, 05:55:43 am »
I put myself in the "not yet" category - but I'd forgotten about the time when I was around 12, and cycled hard into the back of a parked car (newish bike, head down cycling hard). It was a comedy style "land on the roof, and slide down the back of the car" event.

Cost me £20 for a new frame.

I also put myself in that category, and also realized later that I actually once rode into the back of a parked car in my teens. More slowly than you though, maybe the car had some scratches, but I didn't notice. And once a car very slowly rode into me. I was in my teens in a huge group of schoolkids. The car had right of way but didn't clean his condensated windows, so didn't see anything. That was a bent rear wheel, and the driver bought me a new wheel on the same day. I didn't suffer anything.

After that... I don't recall any collisions.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #73 on: 02 June, 2010, 08:28:34 pm »
Back in the icy winter I dismounted to void some sheet ice and nice lady duly skidded and rammed me into a ditch.  Bike totalled but the poor woman was convinced she'd done for me as I disappeared under her car into the only bit of ditch for 200 metres ether way.

I was completely but I've been strangely nervy ever since!

« Reply #74 on: 22 June, 2010, 08:14:13 pm »
I've been knocked off in the last 200 miles but it was by my dog and not a car, dus this count?  :facepalm: