Author Topic: Cavendish goes off again:  (Read 10323 times)

Re: Cavendish goes off again:
« Reply #25 on: 15 April, 2010, 01:48:49 pm »
I see no reason why Sky would want him in the next 12 months.

Sky have obviously stumped up a large amount for their big Tour GC hope Brad, and I don't think many (any?) team would go to the Tour with Cav + 4 lead out train and also Brad + whoever's left to drag him up the climbs? They'd want to weight the team more towards guys that can help Brad, so Cav wouldn't get the support.

Seems an easy descision to stay in a team that's built around you and your green jersey plans.

Jakob

« Reply #26 on: 29 April, 2010, 08:54:01 pm »

Stylish, as always.

« Reply #27 on: 29 April, 2010, 09:55:13 pm »
 :D :D Nice one Mr C.  Stick it up the German.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #28 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:10:33 pm »
He was so far ahead that that  was before he reached the line and did the 'for the sponsors' salute.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #29 on: 29 April, 2010, 10:12:21 pm »
Caption It #383

Fill your boots folks!  (I saw it in the Telegraph and put it in Caption It! before I found this thread...)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #30 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:03:55 am »
@bradwiggins: Good to see Cav winning again. Congrats!

@bradwiggins: As for the salut, well it'll give the cycling forum users something to do for the evening!

;D

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #31 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:08:59 am »
I see no reason why Sky would want him in the next 12 months.

Having read what his views of Brailsford and the BC set-up in his book, I see no reason why he would want to join Sky. Not that he's particularly anti them, he just doesn't see what they can offer him.

He's in a top team with world-class team-mates who are totally dedicated to getting him into winning positions in races. And I dare say the team are remunerating him quite handsomely too. What possible incentive could he have for moving?

d.

« Reply #32 on: 30 April, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »

Plus he has a new girlfriend.

« Reply #33 on: 30 April, 2010, 07:53:25 pm »
The salute was to the doubters who said he'd lost his form.

In the post race interview he said it was a message to the media, that they should think before saying things!! ;D

Hilarious. A great, straightforward person, who always has praise for his team mates.

Regarding Sky, I don't think a team can fully support a top sprinter and aim for the top of the GC at the same time......

HTC are in the business of winning sprint stages, I think team sky are looking for a different emphasis.

« Reply #34 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »
Found this on Sky's site :

However, the HTC-Columbia rider issued a statement the following day which read: "I want to publicly apologise for the gesture I made on the finish line of the Tour de Romandie yesterday.

"I did want to make a statement to my critics but I realise that making a rude gesture on the finish line is not the best way to do that.

"I apologise to everybody watching the race and especially the kids. I am not proud of releasing the feelings in that way.

"I hope I can redeem myself and show my feelings and passion for cycling with some exciting results in the next couple of months rather than with gestures such as the one yesterday."

« Reply #35 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:28:46 pm »
I can't see anything to fault in his (quoted) statements linked in OP. Unless however he is very naive (which I doubt) then he surely knows that he is sending a clear signal that he wants out.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

Jakob

« Reply #36 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:36:46 pm »
The salute was to the doubters who said he'd lost his form.

In the post race interview he said it was a message to the media, that they should think before saying things!! ;D

Hilarious.

So, if Rooney did this after scoring a goal it would be hilarious? Collingwood after scoring a ton? Or Paula Radcliffe after winning a marathon?.

« Reply #37 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:42:31 pm »
No it was hilarious that Cavendish said that other people should think before speaking. He's one to talk!

« Reply #38 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:48:16 pm »
With Cavendish it's a good rule of thumb to disregard anything he says or gestures while he has a helmet on.

By the time of his interview seemed to me that he'd already realised his gesture was neither big nor clever, but found himself having to explain it anyway.

I seem to remember Nasser Hussain making an equivalent gesture to his critics in the press room after scoring a ton, and yes I did think that was moderately amusing.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Jakob

« Reply #39 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:53:00 pm »
No it was hilarious that Cavendish said that other people should think before speaking. He's one to talk!

Oops! Sorry!

« Reply #40 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:58:34 pm »
He's now been pulled from the race by his team, fined by the commissaires and his own team and is acting very contrite.

Seems pretty fair.

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

« Reply #41 on: 01 May, 2010, 12:11:15 am »
I like Cav  :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 01 May, 2010, 07:58:16 am »
With Cavendish it's a good rule of thumb to disregard anything he says or gestures while he has a helmet on.

By the time of his interview seemed to me that he'd already realised his gesture was neither big nor clever, but found himself having to explain it anyway.

Good rule! Sprinters can only do what they do if they are totally fired up - and almost all great sprinters are prone to saying or doing things they may regret in more measured moments. Throwing bottles/punches comes to mind, as well as unguarded comments.

citoyen

« Reply #43 on: 01 May, 2010, 10:55:18 am »
So, if Rooney did this after scoring a goal it would be hilarious? Collingwood after scoring a ton? Or Paula Radcliffe after winning a marathon?

A couple of years ago, Gary Neville scored a winning goal for Man United against Liverpool, then charged the length of the pitch to celebrate in front of Liverpool fans.

As a Liverpool fan, I was hopping mad at the time. But on reflection, I found it hilarious. And I kind of respected him for it - it's an act of pure passion that shows how much he loves his club and how much he hates Liverpool. Which is exactly what you'd want from your players if you're a Man United fan. And if it had been the other way round, Jamie Carragher scoring and making a similar gesture to Man U fans, I would have loved every second of it.

I love Cav. I think he's brilliant for the sport. Any rider that can show as much passion for winning as him is only going to motivate young up-and-coming cyclists. Brad Wiggins has had his moments of madness too. It's the fire in their bellies that makes them winners. They can't all be St Christopher of Hoy and you've got to have some perspective about these things. By all means fine him because yes, his gesture was "inappropriate", but chucking him out of the race is an over-reaction.

It's also a hollow gesture by HTC given his overall standing in the race, and the fact that it's a relatively minor event. Would they do the same if it were the TdF and he was in green?

d.

« Reply #44 on: 01 May, 2010, 12:46:22 pm »
Well reasoned input  :thumbsup: 

« Reply #45 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:30:05 pm »
What's all the fuss about? He only flicked the vees. Not the most mature thing in the world to do, but punching the air is just as much as a "Fuck you!" and he wouldn't be fined for that.

As for the football thing, if a player has been called a cnut all afternoon by away fans, I think he has every right to go and celebrate a goal right in their faces. I'd probably draw the line at Cantona style reactions to crowd abuse though  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

David Martin

« Reply #46 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:40:36 pm »
What's all the fuss about? He only flicked the vees.

Nope, he made it pan-european by slapping his bicep as well...Multicultural he is, can hurl an insult in many languages.

..d

« Reply #47 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:55:03 pm »

Nope, he made it pan-european by slapping his bicep as well...Multicultural he is, can hurl an insult in many languages.

..d

Yeah, but you know what those European types are like. They get offended by the slightest thing. They should just fuck off  ;)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

David Martin

« Reply #48 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:59:25 pm »
As indicated quite unequivocally by Mr Cavendish.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #49 on: 01 May, 2010, 04:12:42 pm »

..d

Yeah, but you know what those European types are like. They get offended by the slightest thing. They should just fuck off  ;)

Especially if they are Eastern.
It is simpler than it looks.