Author Topic: Cambrian Series Permanents  (Read 105235 times)

Re: Cambrian Series Permanents
« Reply #600 on: 22 June, 2018, 04:55:59 am »

Have you got a gpx or ridewithgps of your route that you wouldn't mind sharing please?

Certainly, Day 1 https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27394789
Day 2. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27394916
Day 3. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27398980

« Reply #601 on: 22 June, 2018, 09:03:28 am »
39-32 used for this one.

Enjoyed very much your ride report on the Irish Audax website - looks like you didn’t get much sleep combined with the heat must have made it very challenging, your mental toughness is very impressive.

I look very lightweight in comparison

Could not find day 1 report though :(

I had a different strategy to you.

I did a longer day 1 - 270k to finish in Bala 6am - 9pm so I could have a shorter relaxed day  2 -210k 5.30am to 7.30pm  - allowed me to get plenty of sleep on both nights and do a 4.30am to 1.30pm relaxed final day.

I was lucky as the winds really helped me out (most of the time), although going westward was very tough indeed - the rain was a mixed blessing- kept me cool but made riding the gravelly lanes tricky.

Had to use all my mental tricks plus a few new ones to get up that brutal climb before you drop down into Bala.
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

« Reply #602 on: 22 June, 2018, 09:51:54 am »
You used my original plan. I wanted to do  Knighton to Bala on Day 1, Bala to Llangollen Day 2 and Llangollen to Knighton Day 3.

I'm a tough old bird anyway!

http://www.audaxireland.org/2018/05/cambrian-6c-day-1-and-day-1/

I sent my ride report in to Arrivée so it'll be in the next magazine.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #603 on: 22 June, 2018, 10:42:52 am »
Well done Oliver and Longrider, sounds super tough and the road conditions sound very Wessex.  I might have a go at some point in the next couple of years but: not with 10kg of panniers and; definitely not on 39-32  :hand: As others have said, well done CET for setting this up.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #604 on: 27 June, 2018, 04:18:23 pm »
That brutal climb is only 2.6km long.  It's just the 14.6% average gradient that catches you out.  If you do the Cambrian 2E clockwise starting from Bala it's the last climb.  I validated one card where the rider finished with 4 minutes to spare, so would have been tackling Bwlch-y-Groes against the clock.  It's amazing how much of someone's experiences you can feel from a small piece of ink covered cardboard...  ;D
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #605 on: 08 July, 2018, 09:51:38 pm »
Am just in the process of validating two more completed Super Randonnee riders - by oliveriles and Smeth - both of this parish.  It's rather fun validating by photos, gives the organiser a sense of having ridden with the participants, and brings back memories of the wonderful 4C on which 2/3 of the route is based.

Just a tip from the permsec, electronic photos are much easier to process, for those of you thinking about the event.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #606 on: 21 July, 2018, 08:16:25 pm »
Have been working with Excel formulae and have worked out that 90 different riders have completed Cambrian Series Permanents over the last 11 years, with 276 completed events between them.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #607 on: 09 August, 2018, 11:34:02 am »
I've mapped the 3A for what I think it's the shortest and only marginally suicidal (A 40, A 470 etc..) route and it comes significantly overdistance at 316 km... where am I going wrong?

https://www.strava.com/routes/14836614

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #608 on: 09 August, 2018, 11:52:14 am »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #609 on: 09 August, 2018, 01:05:59 pm »
Here's my route when I thought about this ride

http://bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=https://sites.google.com/site/youngadamski/gpx/perms/C3A.gpx

I actually started off route so what I actually rode was a bit different, see below

http://bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=https://sites.google.com/site/youngadamski/gpx/perms/C3Ariddenroute.gpx

Same route as mine until Hay... since we have a similar pace, how long did it take you  to go around?

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

whosatthewheel

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #612 on: 13 September, 2018, 09:19:18 pm »
The 4F had its first completion this week.  That leaves just the 4E and 6B that have never been ridden.  If you are looking for objectives next year  :facepalm:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #613 on: 14 September, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »
Great article on Arrivee re. the Super Randonnee... so I understand you accept photos as proof of passage?  :thumbsup:

« Reply #614 on: 15 September, 2018, 12:10:25 am »
It's mandatory (I think) by the ACP rules to accept photos as PoP for a Super Randonnee, so I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate from that to the other Cambrian perms.

Organiser's discretion prevails on those, as long as he's satisfied that what he accepts is acceptable to AUK1.

1:
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #615 on: 04 January, 2019, 02:28:40 pm »
I've entered the Super Randonnee, for a date in August. With 60 hours to complete the ride, it'll be like the Mille Cymru Grand Tour, where tough days are interspersed with a reasonable night's sleep.

I'm planning a leisurely 8am departure from Knighton (giving me some extra daylight on the final day), finishing day one at 200km in a pub in Llanidloes. Day two will be a further 200km, which would take me to Llanrwst (on the way back from Llanberis). I can't find any accommodation there, or anywhere on the route for the next 50km. There is a campsite just outside Llanrwst though, so I'm thinking I'll need to take some minimal camping equipment with me. That'll add to the challenge! Then back to Knighton by 8pm on day three.

Food options appear to be good for most of the route. The only stretch where I need to investigate further is the leg from Llanrwst (where I will aim to leave the campsite at 4am), through Denbigh and Mould to Llangollen. Arriving at Llangollen around 9am so should be able to find some breakfast then, but I'm hoping there will be a petrol station or shop open before then on the road, preferably around Denbigh. There appears to be a Co-op in Denbigh open at 6am on a Sunday, so that might be my best option.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #616 on: 30 January, 2019, 04:14:41 pm »
I've entered the Super Randonnee, for a date in August.

Day two will be a further 200km, which would take me to Llanrwst (on the way back from Llanberis). I can't find any accommodation there, or anywhere on the route for the next 50km. There is a campsite just outside Llanrwst though, so I'm thinking I'll need to take some minimal camping equipment with me. That'll add to the challenge!
YHA hostel at Swallow Falls close to the turn left and up up to Llanwrst (Km 393)?

« Reply #617 on: 30 January, 2019, 04:26:42 pm »
I've entered the Super Randonnee, for a date in August.

Day two will be a further 200km, which would take me to Llanrwst (on the way back from Llanberis). I can't find any accommodation there, or anywhere on the route for the next 50km. There is a campsite just outside Llanrwst though, so I'm thinking I'll need to take some minimal camping equipment with me. That'll add to the challenge!
YHA hostel at Swallow Falls close to the turn left and up up to Llanwrst (Km 393)?

Thank you, I hadn’t thought of that option.

Rather than camping, my other option is to divert down to Betws y Coed after Llanberis, and back to the route the next morning. It’ll add less than 10km there and back, and it’s a relatively flat road. I think that’s what I’ll do, as it’ll give me a chance for a decent evening meal. It’ll mean an early start for the final day, but that’s manageable if I start a little later on day 1 to provide a bigger buffer at the end of the final day.

« Reply #618 on: 30 January, 2019, 06:51:06 pm »
Two miles earlier:
https://www.therockshostel.com/the-rocks/
and the pub close by:
https://www.bryntyrchinn.co.uk/
Capel Curig LL24 0EL

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #619 on: 31 January, 2019, 04:39:23 pm »
It's mandatory (I think) by the ACP rules to accept photos as PoP for a Super Randonnee, so I wouldn't necessarily extrapolate from that to the other Cambrian perms.

Organiser's discretion prevails on those, as long as he's satisfied that what he accepts is acceptable to AUK1.

1:
(click to show/hide)

Assuming you ride the 100s and 200s in conventional hours then the controls should be open.  There are occasions when pubs close for refurbishment, which can cause a problem.  It is harder with the longer rides, although the 300s and upwards were set up with a view that ATMs were available in the control towns.  But there are occasions when participants have had to be creative with PoP and will do my best to check evidence.  Beware, some of the till machines in shops, particularly in Hay for some reason, have clocks that were last checked in the days of Owain Glyndwr.  The Super Randonnee rules require photos of proof of passage, and are quite particular, but I've tried to use those to create a mini-history tour just to entertain between the hills  :smug:

« Reply #620 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:30:23 pm »
The Cambrian Super Randonnee 600 is high on my wish list. I might have entered it last year if I hadn’t already entered the Super Randonnee around the Dolomites and made all my travel plans. I rode that last August and it was by far the hardest ride I’ve ever done with 15500m of ascent according to my Garmin and 16800m according to Strava. The organiser asked me to set up WhatsApp on my phone so I could send him my control photos on the way round so he could track my progress. I downloaded the free app and set a group up with him and my family so they could all  see where I was up to. This worked very well and the organiser also messaged me back with welcome words of encouragement. Like Wales the Dolomites has areas with no internet access but photos get sent automatically when you next get a connection.
I didn’t stop for food or accommodation on the ride and filled my bidons from fountains along the route so didn’t actually spend any money. I had hoped to get round in about 42 hours as the ride was “only” advertised as 13000m but the relentless and extra climbing slowed me down and I unexpectedly had to go through the whole of the second night. This meant I had to sleep out twice on the second night with no bivvi kit and eventually finished early the next morning, still over 10 hours inside the Randonneur limit.
Regarding the points, I claimed it as an Overseas 600 and sent in my gps track for AAA points. Before 2018 marcusjb was the only Audax UK rider to complete a Super Randonnee 600 and that was another very tough one around the Pyrenees back in 2013. He had received 6 distance points and 15 AAA points so I expected similar. Why not when it is a permanent ride considered, at least by ACP, to be at Randonneur level? I was initially given 6 distance points and 16 AAA points but the AAA points were on the right day and the distance points were on the last day of the 2018 season. When I asked for this to be corrected and my ACP brevet number added, I was told that the Audax UK board had decided that Super Randonnees would not be awarded distance points and my points were taken away! Luckily I didn’t particularly need them as I was still over 100 points and hyper anyway, but it was still annoying as it took the edge off my achievement a bit, especially as it was the last ride I needed for my ACP Randonneur 10000.
My personal view is that Audax UK should respect what ACP consider to be Randonneur level rides and award the points accordingly which would mean that anyone completing the Cambrian Super Randonnee in under 60 hours would get the distance and AAA points that they deserve. This would also encourage Audax UK riders to participate in Super Randonnees and work towards the ACP Randonneur 10000.

« Reply #621 on: 01 February, 2019, 12:55:08 pm »
My personal view is that Audax UK should respect what ACP consider to be Randonneur level rides and award the points accordingly which would mean that anyone completing the Cambrian Super Randonnee in under 60 hours would get the distance and AAA points that they deserve. This would also encourage Audax UK riders to participate in Super Randonnees and work towards the ACP Randonneur 10000.

I'm not sure about the distance points as the allowed time is outside the normal criteria for a 600km, but AAA points would be nice. I'm riding it to complete my ACP Randonnee 10000, so need to ride it in any case.

I've assumed that the rule preventing the super randonnee from counting towards any other event is the sticking point. I seem to remember in the planning stage there was consideration to having points available, but these were dropped, presumably following clarification with ACP.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #622 on: 01 February, 2019, 01:34:38 pm »
The Cambrian Super Randonnee 600 is high on my wish list. I might have entered it last year if I hadn’t already entered the Super Randonnee around the Dolomites and made all my travel plans. I rode that last August and it was by far the hardest ride I’ve ever done with 15500m of ascent according to my Garmin and 16800m according to Strava. The organiser asked me to set up WhatsApp on my phone so I could send him my control photos on the way round so he could track my progress. I downloaded the free app and set a group up with him and my family so they could all  see where I was up to. This worked very well and the organiser also messaged me back with welcome words of encouragement. Like Wales the Dolomites has areas with no internet access but photos get sent automatically when you next get a connection.
I didn’t stop for food or accommodation on the ride and filled my bidons from fountains along the route so didn’t actually spend any money. I had hoped to get round in about 42 hours as the ride was “only” advertised as 13000m but the relentless and extra climbing slowed me down and I unexpectedly had to go through the whole of the second night. This meant I had to sleep out twice on the second night with no bivvi kit and eventually finished early the next morning, still over 10 hours inside the Randonneur limit.
Regarding the points, I claimed it as an Overseas 600 and sent in my gps track for AAA points. Before 2018 marcusjb was the only Audax UK rider to complete a Super Randonnee 600 and that was another very tough one around the Pyrenees back in 2013. He had received 6 distance points and 15 AAA points so I expected similar. Why not when it is a permanent ride considered, at least by ACP, to be at Randonneur level? I was initially given 6 distance points and 16 AAA points but the AAA points were on the right day and the distance points were on the last day of the 2018 season. When I asked for this to be corrected and my ACP brevet number added, I was told that the Audax UK board had decided that Super Randonnees would not be awarded distance points and my points were taken away! Luckily I didn’t particularly need them as I was still over 100 points and hyper anyway, but it was still annoying as it took the edge off my achievement a bit, especially as it was the last ride I needed for my ACP Randonneur 10000.
The super randonee rules expressly prohibit it being done in conjunction with another event/award.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

whosatthewheel

« Reply #623 on: 01 February, 2019, 02:16:38 pm »
I'm not sure about the distance points as the allowed time is outside the normal criteria for a 600km, but AAA points would be nice. I'm riding it to complete my ACP Randonnee 10000, so need to ride it in any case.

I think SR Steve point is valid in that AUK could show flexibility instead of adopting a dogmatic approach to points and validation

Clearly a Super Randonnee is designed to be hard as a nail and undoable within a 40 hours time limit by the vast majority of riders... yet, if a 60 hours time window was allowed by AUK for these events, some might be tempted to use it as part of their SR award. As it is now, it's a self standing achievement.
I don't think many would complain if points were assigned to be honest.

I, for one, would have liked to have the Cambrian SR as part of my AAA SR award, but I had to go for a different 600 event instead...

« Reply #624 on: 01 February, 2019, 03:30:03 pm »
I think somewhere Colin has made it clear that if you complete it within BR time you will also get AUK distance points for it.