Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576028 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #1000 on: 05 November, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »
Clothing Manufacturers:  Stop putting massive labels made from nasty scratchy material on the inside of garments meant to be worn next to the skin.

When they are cut off because they have become too irritating, any stubble left remaining is even more jaggy.  Cut it any closer to the garment, and you end up cutting the stitching and end up with a hole in the seam of the garment.

Buy surgical stitch-cutter (scalpel blade with sharp side on inside of curve) from online merchant. Unpick stiches on label side, close to label.
Label drops off.
Shirt undamaged...

« Reply #1001 on: 05 November, 2011, 02:32:30 pm »
Pigeons! Stop flying into the windows! I nearly cacked myself, again.

You've gone and sent them down here, bloody things made a right mess over the window and the window cleaner only cleaned them the other day, gets cloth out and goes the clean the mess, grumble grumble grumble

« Reply #1002 on: 05 November, 2011, 04:06:41 pm »
Budgens, your wasabi peas are completely rubbish!

I was really looking forward to some forceful sinus-cleansing by wasabi, but these are barely coated and weak as stink!

>:(

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1003 on: 05 November, 2011, 10:27:53 pm »
Clothing Manufacturers:  Stop putting massive labels made from nasty scratchy material on the inside of garments meant to be worn next to the skin.

When they are cut off because they have become too irritating, any stubble left remaining is even more jaggy.  Cut it any closer to the garment, and you end up cutting the stitching and end up with a hole in the seam of the garment.

Buy surgical stitch-cutter (scalpel blade with sharp side on inside of curve) from online merchant. Unpick stiches on label side, close to label.
Label drops off.
Shirt undamaged...
My mum had something called a Kwik Unpik, which while not surgical, did the same job. Hers was yellow IIRC, the one in the photo at the bottom of this page is white.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wonky

• Not exactly straight or narrow
« Reply #1004 on: 05 November, 2011, 11:15:08 pm »
Budgens, your wasabi peas are completely rubbish!

I was really looking forward to some forceful sinus-cleansing by wasabi, but these are barely coated and weak as stink!

>:(
Wasabi peanuts (we got ours from Loon Fung in Wembley/Alperton) are awesome.

Except when you forget what they are and neck a small handful in one go.

« Reply #1005 on: 06 November, 2011, 10:35:25 am »

Label drops off.
Shirt undamaged...
My mum had something called a Kwik Unpik, which while not surgical, did the same job. Hers was yellow IIRC, the one in the photo at the bottom of this page is white.

My Mum has always had (and still has) a Kwik Unpik, very useful little things.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #1006 on: 06 November, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
I've got 3.  One came with the sewing machine and the other 2 were 50p apiece from the haberdashery-cum-yarn shop.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #1007 on: 07 November, 2011, 01:35:10 pm »
Dozy Chair of the PTA: I told you I was sending you a draft of the newsletter. People have said you are thick & I have held off judgement until recently, but you are, I'm afraid, proving them right. A draft is for you to check - I even asked for feedback - and now you have published it, it has several typos I would have picked up on a more in-depth reading. Not impressed!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1008 on: 07 November, 2011, 04:50:15 pm »
Meeting with financial advisor at bank on Saturday morning. I arrived from rowing club suitably lycra'd, Mrs Marco from home with Gill cycling jacket & rucksack. Cue advisor:

'Come by bike? Ooh, you are good...'

The nature of the choice being entirely pragmatic for a <2 mile journey into a small city centre appeared to have been entirely lost on her.  ::-)

The arguments over the introduction of parking charges will outlast me, I think.  :hand:

« Reply #1009 on: 07 November, 2011, 08:10:46 pm »
Well I'm not complaining that I didn't have a headwind for the ride home but it's a shame that I couldn't take proper advantage of the tailwind as I was outrunning my lights. Ho hum.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1010 on: 08 November, 2011, 12:08:14 am »
No room for my bike on the train on Friday  :'(

« Reply #1011 on: 08 November, 2011, 01:42:13 pm »
Dozy Chair of the PTA: I told you I was sending you a draft of the newsletter. People have said you are thick & I have held off judgement until recently, but you are, I'm afraid, proving them right. A draft is for you to check - I even asked for feedback - and now you have published it, it has several typos I would have picked up on a more in-depth reading. Not impressed!

OK, three strikes & I'm outta here! You cancelled an event a day before it was due to happen on a knee-jerk reaction; you send out a crappy newsletter draft & now you send out incomplete minutes that I said needed your input before distribution. You are either incompetent or reckless & I don't have to work with you - it's unpaid - so find another volunteer who can put up with your "foibles".
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #1012 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:15:52 pm »
Apologies to those who don't wrestle with the works of the Great Satan of Seattle on a daily basis.

Is it too much to ask that; if I have declared a variable as boolean and I then assign the return value of some function to it, where that function returns a string, that the bloody compiler picks up on it rather than having the application fall over in an untidy heap at runtime?

Those in the "trade" can probably guess which vile little language I'm using to pay my mortgage.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

LindaG

« Reply #1013 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:24:44 pm »
I wish my neck would stop hurting already.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1014 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:27:09 pm »
Those in the "trade" can probably guess which vile little language I'm using to pay my mortgage.
Actually, I can think of several vile little languages that might fit this bill - all of them from the Spawn Of Redmond.

Chris S

« Reply #1015 on: 08 November, 2011, 04:27:25 pm »

Hehe. I'm assuming VB; because I so disbelieved this - I just tried it. I am shocked and appalled.

Hooray for c# and strict typing \o/.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1016 on: 08 November, 2011, 07:46:53 pm »
But even if loosely-typed, simply returning *anything* other than zero would be type-cast to boolean '1'?

Even the string "Noe! Noe! Never! A Thousand times Noe! (cont p94) /n"

So it May Still Work, even out of pure chance?
Or not, as chance would have it.

--
F

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #1017 on: 08 November, 2011, 07:55:13 pm »
But even if loosely-typed, simply returning *anything* other than zero would be type-cast to boolean '1'?
Possibly. In an ideal world.
Many languages don't do this, however (Ruby and Python don't, and I'm pretty sure Perl doesn't either)

Chris S

« Reply #1018 on: 08 November, 2011, 09:04:22 pm »
Well, I'm with TheLurker. The best (read "cheapest to fix") bug catches are those caught by the compiler. Assigning a string to a boolean is wrong 99% of the time. In an ideal world - all bugs would be caught by the compiler.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1019 on: 08 November, 2011, 10:09:09 pm »
Possibly. In an ideal world.
Many languages don't do this, however (Ruby and Python don't, and I'm pretty sure Perl doesn't either)

Perl and Python will evaluate the expression in a boolean context if called in that way.

So if (getusername()) {
returns a non-empty string it will evaluate as true, whereas an empty string will evaluate as false.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1020 on: 09 November, 2011, 09:53:55 am »
Oooh. That reminds me ... I need to light a fire under the lawyers who are supposed to be dealing with my accident compensation claim.

Maybe I can use my change in circumstances to convince them to get their collective arses into gear.

Good luck with that IZ, be nice to have things sorted by Christmas eh?  What do you reckon our chances are?   ;D
Dunno your exact circumstances, but for myself I reckon that after nearly 11 months, various bits of physiotherapy, more painkillers than the mind can comfortably conceive plus a couple of MRI scans thrown in for good measure I should have had a result by now.

In fact, I reckon I should have had a result six sodding months ago, especially as it was a no-fault claim and the other side admitted liability pretty much straight away.

On my signal, unleash hell ....

I would just caution not to push for too early a settlement, as PI claims are 'one bite of the cherry'.  Sometimes it's better to take your time, to allow all the possible implications of any injury to surface and a firm prognosis to be reached.

It took over 2½ years for my claim to be settled.  But some of the long-term implications of the injury took that long to emerge.

Be guided by the medics in particular.  If they're saying 'we need to wait and see' then it can be best to wait and see.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #1021 on: 09 November, 2011, 12:26:33 pm »
Too many possible bike rides this weekend.  I thought by this time of year the choices would be fewer and I wouldn't have this problem. :(
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1022 on: 09 November, 2011, 02:01:31 pm »
Banks, Typetalk, the usual.

(Ranting preemptively on barakta's behalf as she needs both hands for the phone.)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1023 on: 09 November, 2011, 04:25:19 pm »
Day - just give up ok.

Having to use up leave because I slept in is my problem, but then getting parked in at the sorting office for half and hour and giving me a mysterious cut in an active area leading to sitting in a lead box with a beta-gamma counter on my finger for 10 minutes is just taking things too far :(
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1024 on: 10 November, 2011, 03:26:35 pm »

OK, three strikes & I'm outta here! You cancelled an event a day before it was due to happen on a knee-jerk reaction; you send out a crappy newsletter draft & now you send out incomplete minutes that I said needed your input before distribution. You are either incompetent or reckless & I don't have to work with you - it's unpaid - so find another volunteer who can put up with your "foibles".

Feck! You're a dozy mare. I told you in an email & in person that YOU needed to put the time & venue of today's meeting into the minutes (because you didn't give the information to do so). Seeing as it was due to start 5 minutes ago, I doubt attendance will be anything to write home about...