Author Topic: Pavé Proof Bottle Cage  (Read 5870 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: Pavé Proof Bottle Cage
« Reply #25 on: 08 September, 2020, 05:40:34 pm »
Plastic Cateye cages are totally bombproof but don’t have enough inherent retention for some situations, so the additional straps are mandatory behind the seat or on fork legs.
Remembered where they came from & checked, the fork cages are indeed Cateye BC-100 and yes IME bombproof.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #26 on: 08 September, 2020, 09:10:08 pm »
I’m going to continue the fine tradition of ignoring one of the key requirements QG asked for and suggesting what I do anyway: for 2l of extra water on roughstuff, I use a bladder in a frame bag. Hope that helps :)

« Reply #27 on: 08 September, 2020, 09:15:23 pm »
Yeah, I was referring to Wiggle's 40 different photos which are all exactly the same.
They're in SIX different colour ways!

« Reply #28 on: 09 September, 2020, 01:37:31 am »
I have the ELITE PRIA PAVÈ on several bikes.  These can be easily adjusted to grip like buggery or just normally.

Haven't used them with 1-litre bottles, but given how well they work with 750ml bottles, I have no doubt they would be fine on the Carrefour de L'Arbre and Trouée d'Arenberg, or worse, with the bigger bottles.

« Reply #29 on: 12 September, 2020, 08:45:29 pm »
Thinking more laterally, the right frame bag setup should make it unlikely that you will eject bottles regardless on rough terrain regardless of what cage you use.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 12 September, 2020, 09:41:14 pm »
Thinking more laterally, the right frame bag setup should make it unlikely that you will eject bottles regardless on rough terrain regardless of what cage you use.

...unless it's on a fork.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #31 on: 12 September, 2020, 10:58:29 pm »

I'm curious, how does my choice of frame bag effect the way bottles stay in cages mounted elsewhere on the bike?

Please show your working.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #32 on: 14 September, 2020, 09:02:11 am »

I'm curious, how does my choice of frame bag effect the way bottles stay in cages mounted elsewhere on the bike?

Please show your working.

J

Nothing complicated.  Just if the bag is right against the bottle it has nowhere to bounce out to.  My frame bag is a triangle which completely fills the space between my bottle cages (custom made to do so) and I've never had any issues, even on rocky off-road descents.  Mind you, I've only ever lost bottles from frame-mounted cages a couple of times ever, normally to high-speed bumps on an otherwise smooth road. 

Obviously if your bottle cage is on your forks, this is not relevant.  But I'd only consider putting bottles there for off-road riding.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 14 September, 2020, 12:21:50 pm »
Nothing complicated.  Just if the bag is right against the bottle it has nowhere to bounce out to.  My frame bag is a triangle which completely fills the space between my bottle cages (custom made to do so) and I've never had any issues, even on rocky off-road descents.  Mind you, I've only ever lost bottles from frame-mounted cages a couple of times ever, normally to high-speed bumps on an otherwise smooth road. 

My frame is so small, I can't actually fit 2 bottles in there even without a frame bag. Which is of course a problem many people who aren't big men have.

Obviously if your bottle cage is on your forks, this is not relevant.  But I'd only consider putting bottles there for off-road riding.

Wasn't planning on the forks...

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 14 September, 2020, 12:41:34 pm »

My frame is so small, I can't actually fit 2 bottles in there even without a frame bag. Which is of course a problem many people who aren't big men have.
I'm about 175cm, supposedly average height for a UK man. Probably small for the Netherlands! Anywayz, I used to have a mountain bike (bought in India, where most people are smaller, but that's not particularly relevant since it was made for an international market by a Taiwanese company) on which I could only fit a seat tube bottle if I used a side-entry cage. So I'm sure it's a problem for lots of people. But I've never had this (minor) problem on any "road" bike, so it's also partly a factor of frame design.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #35 on: 14 September, 2020, 12:58:05 pm »
I'm about 175cm, supposedly average height for a UK man. Probably small for the Netherlands! Anywayz, I used to have a mountain bike (bought in India, where most people are smaller, but that's not particularly relevant since it was made for an international market by a Taiwanese company) on which I could only fit a seat tube bottle if I used a side-entry cage. So I'm sure it's a problem for lots of people. But I've never had this (minor) problem on any "road" bike, so it's also partly a factor of frame design.

I am about 1.68m give or take. Which puts me spot on average height for a woman in the Netherlands, and 50mm above the average height of a woman in the UK. My frame is a size S.

The frame of my bike is not a road bike frame...

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:30:12 pm »
All these people with duck’s disease...
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #37 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:33:30 pm »
All these people with duck’s disease...

Are you sure that's the right thing to be suggesting?

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #38 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:45:55 pm »
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duck’s disease

Yes, you're suggesting that a proportion of the population are diseased, rather than just short... slang or no slang. Are you sure that's what you want to be saying?

J
--

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #39 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:47:10 pm »
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duck’s disease

Yes, you're suggesting that a proportion of the population are diseased, rather than just short... slang or no slang. Are you sure that's what you want to be saying?

J

Correct term is shortarse, I believe.

Thanks for the quotes while trying to get this phone to copy and paste properly.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #40 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:49:22 pm »

Correct term is shortarse, I believe.

Thanks for the quotes while trying to get this phone to copy and paste properly.

I prefer the term perfectly formed for compact and light climbing. As opposed to overgrown mutant abominations... but I'm not sure what point you're trying to achieve?

J
--

« Reply #41 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:22:10 pm »

Wasn't planning on the forks...

J

It is not easier to fit bottles in a frame without a frame bag than with one that I am describing!  IIRC the problem with your frame from the point of view of carrying stuff in the triangle is not that it is extremely small, but that is compact with a steeply sloping top tube, no?

You have mentioned forks at least twice - where are you planning on putting them?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #42 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:41:13 pm »

It is not easier to fit bottles in a frame without a frame bag than with one that I am describing!  IIRC the problem with your frame from the point of view of carrying stuff in the triangle is not that it is extremely small, but that is compact with a steeply sloping top tube, no?

Yep, the top tube slopes down a lot.

You have mentioned forks at least twice - where are you planning on putting them?

Behind the saddle. I used the forks as an example in my earlier post as many can understand that as a position. I ask about bottle cages that are good at retaining bottles. Not about where to put bottle cages to maximise the retention. I was specific in my original wording.

J
--

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #43 on: 14 September, 2020, 02:51:16 pm »
It's both fortunate, because of the chances of cross-fertilisation of ideas, and unfortunate, because it's easy to confuse them, that this thread is happening at the same time as this one.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #44 on: 14 September, 2020, 03:10:47 pm »

Behind the saddle. I used the forks as an example in my earlier post as many can understand that as a position. I ask about bottle cages that are good at retaining bottles. Not about where to put bottle cages to maximise the retention. I was specific in my original wording.

J

OK.  Behind the saddle is a much more common, and hence widely-understood, place to put bottles than on forks - especially in the UK, the land of the time trial.

Bottles are much more likely to eject from behind the saddle than a fork as the back of the bike bounces more.  Most saddle mounts eject bottles at some point.  I would not fancy the chances of any cage in retaining a bottle in that position over pave.  In fact, I would be pleasantly surprised if the cage itself was still attached after a few miles!

« Reply #45 on: 29 September, 2020, 10:35:08 pm »
I blame the government.

They built the pavement too close to my arse.

Not everybody's a 6' + giant.
I'm 5' 8" male and its getting V/difficult to get clothes that fit properly never mind bikes.

« Reply #46 on: 30 September, 2020, 10:44:57 am »
You think 5'8" is small for a man? My husband is 5'5" and slim... he can walk into a shop and get a pair of trousers to fit (it is his legs that are short) but it has to be the right shop (he likes Next) and he doesn't get much choice... and his feet are really size 6.5 but men's shoes usually start at size 7 so that's what he wears.
(I think short women are much worse off when it comes to bicycles, though. As I tell mr fimm, he is a short man, not a short person...)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #47 on: 30 September, 2020, 11:13:19 am »
You think 5'8" is small for a man? My husband is 5'5" and slim... he can walk into a shop and get a pair of trousers to fit (it is his legs that are short) but it has to be the right shop (he likes Next) and he doesn't get much choice... and his feet are really size 6.5 but men's shoes usually start at size 7 so that's what he wears.
(I think short women are much worse off when it comes to bicycles, though. As I tell mr fimm, he is a short man, not a short person...)

I am average height for a Dutch woman, and 50mm above average height for a British woman. My bike is a size S frame. Given 50% of all Dutch women are shorter than me and over 50% of all British women are, it's really hard to get a properly fitting bike for many.

5'8" is below average for a British man, and well below average for a Dutch man. It drives me crazy that bike manufacturers are happy to make their range go all the way up to fit mutant men that are nearly 2m tall. But can't think to provide for average sized women at the other end of their range.

In this respect Canyon are one of the better firms as they do some of their range down to XXS size, and for XS and XXS they switch to 650b.

J
--

« Reply #48 on: 30 September, 2020, 11:46:42 am »
It drives me crazy that bike manufacturers are happy to make their range go all the way up to fit mutant men that are nearly 2m tall.

Yeah, most manufacturers seem to go up to about 190cm, which is about the 99th percentile for men. Given the far eastern location of much bike design and manufacture, you'd have thought they'd be better at designing for this market.

(I also have problems finding bikes that fit me, but I'm aware that as I'm in the 99.7th percentile for height, this is a niche problem...)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #49 on: 30 September, 2020, 12:40:58 pm »
Have a look at the discounted sizes for bikes and clothing in the end of season sales. It is overwhelmingly the smallest sizes and, to a lesser extent, the very largest sizes. This is despite wholesalers and retailers ordering volumes on a bell curve of sizing. That suggests to me that, if anything, more average-sized stuff should be produced, rather than the smaller stuff.