Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576358 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #9950 on: 15 April, 2018, 08:35:39 pm »
It’s Sunday evening, a time of mourning for us wage slaves.

It can be a time of mourning for the partners of wage slaves too.

« Reply #9951 on: 17 April, 2018, 08:41:07 pm »
Bloody Eurostar  >:(      I booked 3 return tickets from London to Paris return , intending to phone up for their discounted connecting tickets at a later date.  Called today & can't do this anymore.  Can't book them by the website either.   Maninseat61 advises you can get tickets to a mysterious place called London International CIV to connect to Eurostar but none of the ticket sites recognise it.   I'll have to go to the local office & see if they can help.   

Why are things so difficult ?  :'(
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9952 on: 17 April, 2018, 09:06:00 pm »
If you are having a problem at a local station with them not knowing the codes:
 LONDON INTL(CIV) has a CRS code of LNE and a NLC of 5470
 LNDON ESTAR CIV has a CRS code of LOE and a NLC of 9934

From Moneysavingexpert.

Convention Internationale pour le transport des Voyageurs' or 'CIV
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #9953 on: 17 April, 2018, 09:11:07 pm »
Bloody Eurostar  >:(      I booked 3 return tickets from London to Paris return , intending to phone up for their discounted connecting tickets at a later date.  Called today & can't do this anymore.  Can't book them by the website either.   Maninseat61 advises you can get tickets to a mysterious place called London International CIV to connect to Eurostar but none of the ticket sites recognise it.   I'll have to go to the local office & see if they can help.   

Why are things so difficult ?  :'(

Because they want more of your money.

« Reply #9954 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:10:46 pm »
What makes it particularly galling is the large proportion of the rail network run by European companies and yet this information is not made public/clear.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9955 on: 18 April, 2018, 08:22:56 am »
Another birthday spent offshore.

Should have been home yesterday, but delayed getting out here on Monday.
Should be back today, but the flight has already been delayed once
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #9956 on: 18 April, 2018, 12:55:03 pm »
Could you send that in Powerpoint?

No.

I should just set up a rule in my inbox.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9957 on: 18 April, 2018, 12:59:22 pm »
Could you send that in Powerpoint?

No.

I should just set up a rule in my inbox.

How about a video?

ian

« Reply #9958 on: 18 April, 2018, 01:12:52 pm »
Nah, they don't just want Powerpoint, they want 4:3. It's like 1995 all over again.

Anyway, it's a presentation with animation and cool stuff, so no. It's 2018 and it really shouldn't take a moment to swap an HDMI cable. Of course, good luck when you plug a Windows laptop back in, they still can't manage switching display outputs. This means despite not owning a Windows machine, I am still ninja with the display settings on any and every version of Windows.

Mind you, most conference centre IT is 1995.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9959 on: 18 April, 2018, 01:40:01 pm »
At best, if David's experience is anything to go by...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9960 on: 18 April, 2018, 02:14:09 pm »

Much before that and you're into 35mm slide projectors and Harvard Graphics 3 for DOS.  Which, TBH, was much better than all this PowerPoint rubbish.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9961 on: 18 April, 2018, 03:06:27 pm »

Much before that and you're into 35mm slide projectors and Harvard Graphics 3 for DOS.  Which, TBH, was much better than all this PowerPoint rubbish.
There's posh. What's wrong with acetates and a handful of coloured pens. If you were lucky the office printer won't die when you run acetates through it and you can therefore print out your powerpoint slides in black and white (ok, WordStar!)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #9962 on: 18 April, 2018, 03:34:55 pm »
I do OHP and flipcharts. It's hard to find an OHP these days, that's a special request A/V. As for flipcharts, they're not green. Businesses that leave the lights on all night are very concerned about a few sheets of paper. Whiteboards, on the other hand, are common. The correct marker pens are not. I have my own. I will forget them. Admittedly there are worse things to forget when travelling. Underpants, for instance. Not that you should use underpants as a prop in a presentation. Leastways, always use underwear with caution.

Best prop ever. A young giraffe. Ate my notes though.

« Reply #9963 on: 18 April, 2018, 09:24:04 pm »
A works night out & we’re In Wetherspoons, talk about low rent :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #9964 on: 18 April, 2018, 10:43:55 pm »
A works night out & we’re In Wetherspoons, talk about low rent :facepalm:

I have vowed never to enter Mr. Brexit's emporium of shite food and slightly off beer ever again.   

ian

« Reply #9965 on: 20 April, 2018, 02:07:19 pm »
Dear world, it's a sunny. I have flung open the patio door of my remote command centre. A breeze ruffles my hair and ensures Tidy Haired™ Thought Leadership activities proceed with air-cooled efficiency.

So if you'd please stop hammering, drilling, and fucking mowing, that would be appreciated. Oh, and idiots with booming stereo systems in their boots, I really don't want to know what your "hoes be doing" unless it's stabbing you repeatedly in the ear with something sharp and pointy. Which, incidentally, you deserve for being such monumental cocks.

« Reply #9966 on: 20 April, 2018, 04:35:01 pm »
More (un)neighbourly grumbles. Why oh why do you have to wash your clothes in such a rank stinking product (no doubt called “Summer Breeze” or somesuch)? And then “air” it right by our patio thus stinking us out of the area - it’s strong enough smelling to make me cough. How in Gods name can you stand to have it in your house, never mind wear it??
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9967 on: 20 April, 2018, 05:20:33 pm »
Suggested riposte: barbecue sardines and hope the wind obliges.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9968 on: 20 April, 2018, 05:42:28 pm »
Cigarette smoke wafting into my house  :sick:

ian

« Reply #9969 on: 20 April, 2018, 06:28:23 pm »
Seems to have been the water company digging up the pavement further up the lane (probably to fit water meters). Gone now. It's peaceful. Of course, it's waiting for 7pm when I go sit on the patio to open a cold one. Actually, generally it is quite peaceful here, on the semi-rural edges of the great metropolis. Mind you, this is the first house we've lived in that doesn't have a train track running by it and a police helicopter permanently hovering overhead.

The bane of my auditory existence is the reversing vehicle noise. Even the incessant beep beep beep or, even worse, that weird gasping noise, like someone is repeatedly punching an asthmatic in the gut. They echo up and down the valley in a bloody symphony of reversing. It's not just the noise, it's the concept. All that sodding annoyance does is give drivers an excuse not to look behind them (not to mention assume that no one ever would be deaf, of course).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9970 on: 20 April, 2018, 06:38:54 pm »
YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE.  THIS VEHICLE IS ANNOYING.

ian

« Reply #9971 on: 20 April, 2018, 06:58:32 pm »
And at 1856 someone starts strimming or somesuch. It's a fucking Friday evening you no-life shitbuckets.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9972 on: 20 April, 2018, 07:57:21 pm »
I must confess to strimming earlier this evening.  In my defence, I do the bare minimum to prevent a brambles'n'stingers doomsday scenario, preferring - like all right-minded folk - to use optimal gardening weather for a bike ride.  The application of copious amounts of Agent Orange (which, in the absence of air support, is a reasonably quiet activity) should take care of the rest.

« Reply #9973 on: 20 April, 2018, 08:10:41 pm »
My confession: I have run round like a blue-arsed fly all day and not had time to do the lawn. It's going to rain tomorrow & possibly Sunday & the grass is already quite long. I started as soon as I got back home at 18.50 and finished 10 minutes later. Compared to the twats next door who cut up logs using an electric saw all afternoon (5+ hours) on a Sunday, I don't feel too guilty.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #9974 on: 20 April, 2018, 09:41:13 pm »
Dear world, it's a sunny. I have flung open the patio door of my remote command centre. A breeze ruffles my hair and ensures Tidy Haired™ Thought Leadership activities proceed with air-cooled efficiency.

So if you'd please stop hammering, drilling, and fucking mowing, that would be appreciated. Oh, and idiots with booming stereo systems in their boots, I really don't want to know what your "hoes be doing" unless it's stabbing you repeatedly in the ear with something sharp and pointy. Which, incidentally, you deserve for being such monumental cocks.

This. We have had fucking drum and bass all evening.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.