Author Topic: COVID19 and Audax UK  (Read 112745 times)

Davef

Re: COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #550 on: 01 September, 2020, 05:16:27 pm »
We are going off track here, but as far as I can see apple apps have to be purchased from applestore and apple take a cut.

Epic set up their own store so that people can buy games through that and epic take a cut.

epic wanted a free app on the apple App Store to enable purchasing of products thru epics store front so epic gets the cut rather than apple. Apple said no.

I am sure they will come to some revenue sharing agreement in due course.

The average age of epics customer base is 9
The average age of audax U.K. members is 78

I feel there is little overlap.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #551 on: 02 September, 2020, 11:27:59 am »
There's implications in relation to the hurdles for creating iPhone apps that are linked to my original suggestion to just tell apple users to buy an open ecosystem rsther than pander to apples monopolisation of their hardware.
Or as I'd normally term it 'tell apple to ram it"

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #552 on: 02 September, 2020, 05:27:52 pm »
I agree with @Davef 's implication: the interesting topic of a 'proof of passage' app (E-brevet rich) with the android/apple challenge deserves a thread of its own.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #553 on: 03 September, 2020, 12:03:29 am »
To make things easier as events start up again, we have added a new filter to both the calendar and permanent events lists - these now by default only show you events you can enter (ie not the cancelled/suspended events). If you do want to see all events then just untick the box. The default time period for calendar events has also been increased to be 28 days, starting from the current date, but you can of course change either the from date or the number of days.

On the topic of the lists and the search facilities - if you haven't already discovered them you can search by name of event, start location or organiser in the text box, and now as well as being able to search by distance from a specific postcode you can search by distance from some towns and cities dotted around the UK - to save you needing to find a postcode if you are say going on holiday to an area and want to find something in the right region. You can also choose a map view instead of a list.

« Reply #554 on: 03 September, 2020, 07:44:42 am »
To make things easier as events start up again, we have added a new filter to both the calendar and permanent events lists - these now by default only show you events you can enter (ie not the cancelled/suspended events). If you do want to see all events then just untick the box. The default time period for calendar events has also been increased to be 28 days, starting from the current date, but you can of course change either the from date or the number of days.

Good stuff - I was wishing for exactly this filter a few days ago.

« Reply #555 on: 03 September, 2020, 08:28:20 am »
Thanks bhoot, that's VERY good!

« Reply #556 on: 03 September, 2020, 09:50:41 pm »
Are start rimes not pre assigned to prevent large numbers massing at the start?

In which case start time could be noted on the brevet, which does not get put out for collection until 5 minutes before the listed time.

Anyone who is late just loses time in the same way as normal.

Or is this too much hassle returning to put brevets out in batches? Seems easier than monitoring everyone leaving.

Yes, I could do it that way, but I suspect it will create a lot of interface between riders and me (or helpers) that I'd rather avoid. I want to provide as much flexibility as I can. Scanning the card (through the plastic bag) on my phone and having the result input automatically into my spreadsheet as riders leave (and arrive back) seems simplest.

Can someone remind me the current guidance on numbers per group (in England)? I cannot find it in the AUK documentation. It'll probably change by Nov 7th anyway!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #557 on: 04 September, 2020, 12:40:43 am »
You don't need an app to do contactless controls, although it does probably make things easier.

If the Controller at the start takes a note of the time the rider leaves at, and the rider takes a note of the time they leave at, and say that the earliest counts, then repeat at any manned controls, and the finish, you've got double recording of the critical times.

Its how the timing systems for rallying work, even with all the fancy timing systems that make life easier, the time card that the navigator carries is actually considered the primary record for disputes, if a navigator loses it, DNF.

When my dad saw a brevet card he got the concept instantly.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #558 on: 04 September, 2020, 06:33:53 am »
Audax controls are generally not manned, and that will increasingly be the case now.

« Reply #559 on: 04 September, 2020, 08:49:47 am »
I have planned and submitted three event proposals to run before Christmas.  The events proposed use the following system and will of course follow AUK's guidance.

- X rated with open-air car park start
- PPE for single controller at start of day.
- Use of electronic proofs of passage including e-brevet, GPS tracklogs, selfies. 
- Paper based brevet cards discouraged (I would like to forbid use of these)
- Free controls only with optional venues for purchasing food etc
- Distributed start period with a record of individual start times
- Overall field limited to 30 with riding groups restricted to six only
- Reserve lists for late  entrants in case of pre-notified DNS.

Dates are to be confirmed but the proposed events are as follows:

1.  October: Montgomery Madness.  200km Bewdley - Ludlow - Knighton - Church Stretton - Bewdley via Bromyard and Montgomery. 3.5AAA
2.  November: Begwyns, Books and Stone.  200km.  Stourport - Kington - Hay - Leominster - Stourport via the Begwyns and Arthur's Stones. 3.5AAA
3.  December: Salt and Cotswold. 200km.  Droitwich - Shipston on Stour - Witney - Tewkesbury - Droitwich. 

Normally I don't operate so many events with such short intervals but X rating means that they are easy to operate and fill an essential gap created by other organisers unable to deliver their events due to logistics, Covid compliance, etc ,etc.

Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #560 on: 05 September, 2020, 08:14:13 am »
You don't need an app to do contactless controls, although it does probably make things easier.

If the Controller at the start takes a note of the time the rider leaves at, and the rider takes a note of the time they leave at, and say that the earliest counts, then repeat at any manned controls, and the finish, you've got double recording of the critical times.

Its how the timing systems for rallying work, even with all the fancy timing systems that make life easier, the time card that the navigator carries is actually considered the primary record for disputes, if a navigator loses it, DNF.

When my dad saw a brevet card he got the concept instantly.
And it's basically how PBP used to work when you Q-ed up to start, so couldn't know your start-time in advance.

(It was a slight hassle having to mentally re-calc the cutoffs during the event, but it wormed into your head after a while! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #561 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:27:54 pm »
And it's basically how PBP used to work when you Q-ed up to start, so couldn't know your start-time in advance.

(It was a slight hassle having to mentally re-calc the cutoffs during the event, but it wormed into your head after a while! )

Ended up having to do that last year anyway, even though I had them printed out, I erm... managed to lose the bit of paper within the neck wallet.

« Reply #562 on: 05 September, 2020, 07:30:46 pm »
Indeed the printed times in PBP brevets are wrong for the majority.

simonp

« Reply #563 on: 08 September, 2020, 10:52:54 pm »
Gathering of more than 6 banned from Monday in England. I assume no auk calendar events then?

« Reply #564 on: 09 September, 2020, 12:33:25 am »
Caveat "organised sporting events", which I guess won't apply to AUK type activities.

Is it time for AUK to put all recognised events to bed until we're out of this completely? (Although I guess that reopens the question of what defines "completely"?)

[EDIT] AUK Secretary elsewhere on the AUK forum this evening (11.24pm):-

We need to see the full legislation and guidance that is due to be published with the pending announcement on social gatherings in England but from the information released so far, we should be able to continue with calendar events and permanents in England.

We adopted the “gold standard” approach for calendar events by following the organised team sports path (as trailed by British Cycling) which was in line with the direct recommendation we received from the DCMS.  I fully expect that to be one of the exemptions and that will apply to calendar events.

Permanent rides will remain within the legal limits anyway.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #565 on: 09 September, 2020, 10:46:43 am »
Am monitoring events closely in regards to the Cambrian Series permanents - as one of them goes quite close to Caerphilly county.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #566 on: 09 September, 2020, 09:34:09 pm »

You mean, I'm still below average age for Audax UK members?  Or did you just make that figure up?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #567 on: 09 September, 2020, 11:21:08 pm »
Sport England have released this guidance (basically organised sport/leisure operating under a covid-secure risk assessment can continue) https://www.sportengland.org/how-we-can-help/coronavirus

Tentatively good news in my BHPC capacity, but I don't think it applies to AUK.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #568 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:13:33 am »
Is it time for AUK to put all recognised events to bed until we're out of this completely? (Although I guess that reopens the question of what defines "completely"?)

I would whole-heartedly say no, as I support this view from the board a few days ago:

Quote from: AUK Secretary on September 07, 2020, 09:42:19 AM
The guidance we have published has been slightly future-proofed in so far as it refers to current guidance rather than absolute numbers.  The guidance is there but it is really up to organisers and, ultimately, individuals to understand and comply with national and local rules - as was the case pre-pandemic.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Davef

COVID19 and Audax UK
« Reply #569 on: 10 September, 2020, 07:15:47 am »

You mean, I'm still below average age for Audax UK members?  Or did you just make that figure up?
I am sure it is accurate. On rereading it I can see how people might assume the units were Earth years. The units were HP (hectopbps) defined as 100 times the average pbp vedette finishing time.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #570 on: 28 September, 2020, 10:18:12 am »
Welsh Covid-19 restrictions include all unnecessary travel in and out of council areas where there is a local lockdown.  Permanent cycle rides would not be considered as necessary travel.  At the moment the following events are subject to such restrictions:  Cambrian 1F, 1G, 1K, 2C, 3B,  4B, 4D, 4F, 6A, 8A, 10A.  The situation is changing regularly, and it is likely that more routes will be impacted by the restrictions.  I will not be able to validate a ride that has broken lockdown restrictions.  I would suggest that you defer your events until local lockdowns have been removed.  I will honour all brevet cards where a ride has been deferred.

Apologies.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #571 on: 02 October, 2020, 02:57:56 pm »
There are now only 6 councils in Wales that do not have a local lockdown in place.  This means that the only Cambrian Permanents that you can do without breaking the restrictions in place are:  Cambrian 1A,1B, 1C, 1E, 1H, 1J, 2C, 2D, 2E (with a variation of route), 2H, 2J, 3B, and 3C.  I will not be able to validate rides for any other routes.  Events are still open for entries and rides can be ridden at a later date.

« Reply #572 on: 05 October, 2020, 11:48:42 am »
A good number of the Wigley Perms are not currently permitted as they would mean entering Covid-restricted areas of Wales.

The SeeDee 200 and Holt 200 are still permitted as the rider can turn back at the Dee Bridge in Farndon without going into Wales at Holt. 

The Mere 200 is only possible if riders add some considerable extra distances by remaining in England to get from Malpas (Cheshire) to Ellesmere (Shropshire).  I am going to assume that the B5063 is entirely English.

I still have plenty of other Perms still ride-able provided the usual precautions are taken, such as wearing a mask where necessary.  I am accepting GPX from those rides who want to avoid getting a till receipt.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #573 on: 19 October, 2020, 08:59:27 pm »
The Cambrian Series permanents will be off limits from 23 October to 9 November, as riding them will be breaking the Covid-19 restrictions in Wales.  Any brevets issued will remain valid for riding once it is legally possible to do so again.

GdS

• I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass
« Reply #574 on: 31 October, 2020, 08:34:50 pm »
Bit of a wooly No 10 press conference to say the least but this is what has been gleaned by some reporters;

While elite sport will continue as normal, exercise for everyone else will be limited to unlimited periods outdoors – either with people from their own households, or on a one-to-one basis with a person from another household.

does this mean AUK calendar events between 5.11 and 2.12 are cancelled?