Author Topic: Worst sequels  (Read 8272 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Worst sequels
« on: 24 January, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »
As requested by Matt C.  You can have a film, a book or a play.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Worst sequels
« Reply #1 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »
Matrix, obviously.

« Reply #2 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:10:41 pm »
Die Hard 2.

« Reply #3 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:12:13 pm »
Whilst The Mummy wasn't fantastic, the sequels are so cheesily bad that they're moderately entertaining (mostly for the Evil Undead Ewocks in The Mummy Returns). But you do need to be drunk. And pretend that the small child doesn't exist.

Speaking of small children that shouldn't exist, I nominate Blue Brothers 2000 as a "Worst Sequel". What's sickening is that it has some good songs in there.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #4 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:14:37 pm »
With most horror franchises, ie. Nightmare On Elm Street, the law of diminishing returns kicks in very rapidly.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:27:18 pm »
Whilst strictly speaking being prequels, The Films That Zoidburg Will Not Mention By Name suck chunky goat vomit through twisty straws, not least for poor characterisation and even poorer dialogue.

Although after inflicting the Gungans, and Jar-Jar Binks in particular on us, I'm still not quite sure that I can forgive George Lucas for the Ewoks.

That reminds me of a few plot fixes... :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #6 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:30:16 pm »
Whilst strictly speaking being prequels, The Films That Zoidburg Will Not Mention By Name suck chunky goat vomit through twisty straws, not least for poor characterisation and even poorer dialogue.

Do tell?

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:31:00 pm »
The Exorcist 2

The power of Christ compels you not to watch it

« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:33:53 pm »

Do tell?

Star Wars Pt 1: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Pt 2: Attack Of The Clones
Star Wars Pt 3: Revenge Of The Sith

HTH

« Reply #9 on: 24 January, 2010, 05:52:40 pm »

Do tell?

Star Wars Pt 1: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars Pt 2: Attack Of The Clones
Star Wars Pt 3: Revenge Of The Sith

HTH

Thanks. I ought to have been able to guess  ::-)

rogerzilla

« Reply #10 on: 24 January, 2010, 06:04:46 pm »
Final Destination 2, just for the oxymoronic (with the emphasis on moronic) title.

rogerzilla

« Reply #11 on: 24 January, 2010, 06:08:34 pm »
2061 and 3001 are pretty bad books, although 2010 is good.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 24 January, 2010, 06:50:33 pm »
Grease2 [despite the presence of Ms Pffifer]

(although the Matrix probably wins this for me, as it was such a great film - I genuinely had high hopes for the sequels. Fool! Have you learned nothing? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Deborah

« Reply #13 on: 24 January, 2010, 07:10:53 pm »
I agree with MattC about Grease2 also Dirth Dancing 2 was bad. As for books, some wrote a sequel to Pride and Prejudice. Very bad. 

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 24 January, 2010, 07:18:56 pm »
Omen 2
It is simpler than it looks.

LEE

« Reply #15 on: 24 January, 2010, 07:24:56 pm »
Omen 2

Hmmm, I disagree.  Omen 3 was a travesty but Omen 2 (imho) stuck to the original premise that he wasn't to blame and that there was just an inevitability about his rise.

I also clearly remember the entire cinema holding their breath for about a minute, until we all let out a collective gasp, at one point.  Anyone who has seen the film will have held their breath during this scene I think.

The Omen, the remake, goes down as one of the most pointless films ever made.  They even went to the extremes of finding people who looked just like the ones in the original. 

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #16 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:02:25 pm »
Alien 3 onwards (Alien 2 being that rare example of a sequel that is better than the original)

All of those Toy Story / Ice Age / Madagascar, etc franchises

Titanic 2 (OK, it hasn't been made yet but I'm covering myself here)

Yes Honestly (70s TV follow up to an actually rather sharp series called No Honestly)

The various sequels to the original Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, including the dire remake with Martin Clunes

But what all the potential sequels that were never made....

The Fourth Man
When Harry Divorced Sally
Sunday Morning Hangover
Ferris Bueller's Week in Detention
Yellow Fu**ckin Submarine 2 - featuring songs by Oasis

Over to y'all

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #17 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:07:25 pm »
Police Academy 2-7.

rogerzilla

« Reply #18 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:09:27 pm »
Are you saying the first one was any good?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:10:09 pm »
Alien 3 onwards (Alien 2 being that rare example of a sequel that is better than the original)

Oooooh - that isn't going to pass without comment! Aliens was very good, but better?!? Let's just go for different ...

And Toy Story 2 is at least as good as 1.

:)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Zoidburg

« Reply #20 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »
Odd numbered Star Trek films are rubbish.

It's the law.

« Reply #21 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:15:48 pm »
Are you saying the first one was any good?

No, but would you rather watch Alien 3 or Police Academy 3:Back in Training? I'd say that PA is a far worse sequel  :)

rogerzilla

« Reply #22 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:17:41 pm »
I have a simple rule: any film where they were so lazy as to merely add "2" to the original title is a stinker.  It obviously has no proper merit and is just piggybacking on the previous film's success.

You'll note that the good sequels avoid this.

Mind you, I also have a rule that any film which (immediately after the titles for the film studio and production company) displays the title on screen without first naming the director or any of the actors (the producer doesn't count, he's just a money man) is unlikely to be any good.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:25:08 pm »

Oooooh - that isn't going to pass without comment! Aliens was very good, but better?!? Let's just go for different ...

And Toy Story 2 is at least as good as 1.

Hmm. Well we can agree to differ. Or we can argue it throughout the Severn Across  :)

I thought Alien was a bit light on character development (a regular criticism of Ridley Scott films).  Once the John Hurt character was gone it was just an hour of one-dimensional characters wandering down dark corridors and getting munched, followed by Ms Weaver in her knickers, bringing a new meaning to survival of the fittest.  In Aliens you had some conflicting emotions among the mercenaries plus the interface between Ripley and the android which eventually saves her life.  To me, it was a more interesting film with more memorable imagery.  The third one starts well but goes rapidly downhill after about 15 minutes.

Will concede on Toy Story though.

:)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

LEE

« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2010, 08:56:37 pm »

Titanic 2 (OK, it hasn't been made yet but I'm covering myself here)

Yes Honestly (70s TV follow up to an actually rather sharp series called No Honestly)

The various sequels to the original Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, including the dire remake with Martin Clunes

But what all the potential sequels that were never made....

The Fourth Man
When Harry Divorced Sally
Sunday Morning Hangover
Ferris Bueller's Week in Detention

Over to y'all

Aliens isn't better than Alien.  That's impossible.  Aliens is a great adventure movie.  Alien is a great Suspense/Horror movie. 

Toy Story 2 is at least as good as Toy Story 1.

Raise the Titanic is surely "Titanic 2"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MywWolXGIx8&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/MywWolXGIx8&rel=1</a> has already been made and, in my opinion, is a great tribute (Oasis never denied they were heavily influenced by the Beatles.  There are some great deliberate "Homages" in there.