Author Topic: advice needed (update)  (Read 2168 times)

advice needed (update)
« on: 16 January, 2014, 10:23:07 pm »
my son has a Nikon D40x can't remember what lens he has, but he would like  something that can do close up stuff,
I've been trying to find a macro lens but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, could some one give me a few ideas please.

Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:25:37 pm »
You can get a cheap raynox clip on lens to start off with, they're about £20.

What type of close up stuff, insects etc.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:30:49 pm »
yeah insects and stuff,

« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:32:30 pm »
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:35:58 pm »
damn, they're fantastic David!   How do you get so much depth of field? 

« Reply #5 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:36:33 pm »
A tamron 90mm will give good results without extension tubes, plenty for insects. You will need a higher fstop so the shots get darker and you'll need to use a flash. The on board flash won't reach the subject so you'll need to find a remote flash or a better flash to fit onto the camera. Some macro can be over f16 so a flash is definitely required.

« Reply #6 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:38:02 pm »
 that looks like it might do the job, thanks for the help at least I have an idea of what I'm looking for now.

« Reply #7 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:39:19 pm »
damn, they're fantastic David!   How do you get so much depth of field?

f22 :D

Never stacked either. I've stopped macro now, just use an olloclip on the iphone. It was way too bulky on a large bracket, too many pics stolen as well :(

« Reply #8 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:41:30 pm »
that looks like it might do the job, thanks for the help at least I have an idea of what I'm looking for now.

The raynox are great to start off with macro. There's two types. One for flowers and one for insects. They hold onto the lens at the front with a plastic spring holder. If he enjoys macro you can always upgrade him to a lens at Christmas ;)

« Reply #9 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:52:20 pm »
ok just talking with she who must be obeyed and a clip on gadget is not good enough for his birthday  :facepalm:

so could you point me in the right direction for a cheap macro lens, this is the problem having a birthday 4 weeks after christmas

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2014, 10:53:20 pm »
A 50mm or shorter manual lens and an inverting ring.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:09:01 pm »
is that where the lens goes on back to front ?

« Reply #12 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:13:16 pm »
I'd go into a local shop to look. There's lots of options to choose from, most macro lenses make nice portrait lenses too. A 50mm would be great but won't get you as much close detail as the 90mm. You also have to get closer to the subject with a 50mm too. You can also get tele macro lenses but they start to increase in value.

A new or good used tamron 90mm is an excellent start, you could also get the kenko extension tubes to get closer detail. The lens used is around the £200 mark if I remember, the tubes are/were £80. You'll 100% need a flash if using extension tubes.

This is the lens
http://www.tamron.eu/uk/lenses/overview/single/product/sp-af-90mm-f28-di-macro-11-6.html?tx_keproducts_pi6[cam]=&tx_keproducts_pi6[vc]=false&tx_keproducts_pi6[sp]=false

« Reply #13 on: 16 January, 2014, 11:26:36 pm »
right better dig deep, I'm not sure where all this money is going to come from, thanks for the advice.:)

« Reply #14 on: 18 January, 2014, 09:33:54 am »
Hi chaps would this do the job ?

http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/sigma-70-300mm-dg-macro-lens-nikon.html

I have found it for under £100 :)

« Reply #15 on: 18 January, 2014, 08:08:02 pm »
Zoom lenses generally aren't "proper macro", but "close focus".
That lens goes to 1:2, which means that at closest focus the picture area is about 48x31 mm. Compare that with the size of the target insects to get an idea of what you'll get and whether that's close enough.

"Proper macro" means that the lens goes to 1:1 (24 x 15.5 mm), and they are almost always fixed focal length.
A quick check has shown this Micro Nikkor 40mm/2.8 at £160 (though that's including £20 cashback that ends on the 26th, and is currently out of stock)

Re: advice needed update!!
« Reply #16 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »
well after the advice I received from fellow YACF'ers I decided the best route to go down for my son was to get some extension tubes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenko-Auto-Extension-Nikon-Mount/dp/B000JG88JU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1390662043&sr=8-3&keywords=kenko+extension

these ones in fact, only I didn't pay what they're asking. They seemed to be quite a good compromise and it will give him the opportunity  to play around with close up stuff  before he we splash out on a proper macro lens. Thanks for the pointers very helpful  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
Re: advice needed (update)
« Reply #17 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:23:36 pm »
I like using extension tubes on my (film) SLR, but I'm not as accomplished as others on here.  I did think about a set of tubes for my CSC, but they seem very expensive, and aren't auto-everything.
Getting there...

Re: advice needed (update)
« Reply #18 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:45:37 pm »
I was being coerced in to going for the dedicated macro lens, which is "only" £290+ so when I found these tubes at £100 including delivery
I thought that they would be a bit more versatile than the clip on type and certainly a lot cheaper than the dedicated lens, as far as being auto I feel that he needs to learn how to do things for himself without relying on pre set  settings, when he's learnt how to do things for himself then he can go as automatic factory pre set as he likes. ;)