Author Topic: next seasons TT - n+1?  (Read 5495 times)

Blah

• Not sure where I'm going
Re: next seasons TT - n+1?
« Reply #25 on: 04 September, 2008, 09:32:29 am »
I'd also add a helmet so that you can get used to the neck cranked back position.

And it's thermal properties... they're better than a woolly hat :-)

« Reply #26 on: 04 September, 2008, 11:19:03 am »
A dropping stem?

What I meant Mike, is that there are quite a few things you can try before spending hard earned cash. Once you know more and know you enjoy TTing, then buy. buy, buy!

Getting yourself low and aero is what matters. Then helping the flow around you with nice deep wheels and a helmet will add to that. As for gears...  ;) try your fixed with a low end, you may be surprised!

Edit: As others have said before, you don't need a bling bike. Just one that would permit you to get aero. A lot of the guys at the club have TT or track frames, with nice bars and wheels, but their gears are not necessarily as nice as on their Sunday best.

Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Blah

« Reply #27 on: 04 September, 2008, 12:37:57 pm »
Getting aero is not just about dropping the front-end. You still need to be able to put the power down with a low front-end, roughly translated, your aero position needs to be comfortable.

This is explained quite well on the Cervelo website.

« Reply #28 on: 04 September, 2008, 06:36:06 pm »
Getting aero is not just about dropping the front-end. You still need to be able to put the power down with a low front-end, roughly translated, your aero position needs to be comfortable.

Thank you. I do that for a living!!

gonzo

« Reply #29 on: 05 September, 2008, 07:31:29 am »

He's a professional time trialist don't ya know?

;)

Blah

« Reply #30 on: 05 September, 2008, 08:29:09 am »

You may well do, but maybe others reading this thread don't. I'll freely admit that I know close to nothing about aerodynamics, but I have spent a lot of time thinking about how I can put a really good TT bike together for a reasonable amount of money this year, and then riding that bike. That article helped me in that, as did advice from a whole lot of people. Just passing on what I've learned.

One of those things, incidentally, is that I don't have a hope in hell TT'ing as fast on a fixed as on a geared bike. Now there's controversy for you ;-)

« Reply #31 on: 05 September, 2008, 11:10:15 am »
...but you'll only half the fun!  ;) Fixed is all about regularity, as is TTing I'd say, so not really incompatible.

Note to self: Must check our club and other records; I'm sure some guys are pretty fast on fixed.

« Reply #32 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:34:36 pm »
 ;D
I just got a rather lovely steel frame with aero forks from a want add on a timetrial forum:

lovely paint job (Mrs Mike less convinced)

I stuck some wheels and a seat on at the right height, so the 'lo pro' -ness is more obvious:

blimey, that looks uncomfortable!! Should be excellent - now just got to scour ebay for some bars & shifters....

« Reply #33 on: 18 September, 2008, 08:43:08 pm »
mike, that paint job's a bit... eighties, isn't it?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 19 September, 2008, 09:38:37 am »
:thumbsup:  Now thrash the wotsits off it!

*decides to omit obvious mention of chain*
Getting there...

« Reply #35 on: 19 September, 2008, 09:42:15 am »
mike, that paint job's a bit... eighties, isn't it?

I know - it's glorious, isnt it?   

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 19 September, 2008, 09:59:25 am »
It's...artfully done. :-\
Getting there...

« Reply #37 on: 19 September, 2008, 05:20:11 pm »
Now all you need are deep section wheels, some tribars, one brake, a single chainset and  a sprocket... Errr, hang on...