Author Topic: What is your pet doing right now?*  (Read 213212 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: What is your pet doing right now?*
« Reply #1875 on: 05 February, 2023, 11:22:14 pm »
Ah sorry, I wrongly assumed they would have been chipped when they were spayed.

CP's vet didn't do this, I think because they were feral, though had settled with us.

Blackie was a kitten at the time, one of the litter of 6 D had discovered when refurbishing his observatory. The other 5 were rehomed by us or CP, as was heavily pregnant Mother Cat.

Tom just came in for food, when we fed the kittens. He was a wonderful Daddy to them after Mother turned against them, always shepherding the kittens to feed before he did.

« Reply #1876 on: 07 February, 2023, 09:18:00 am »
She's reduced the alert level from red to yellow after checking the perimeters and deciding its safe again - the window cleaner has gone.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1877 on: 07 February, 2023, 08:33:03 pm »
Skinny Ginger/Simon has made several stealth visits and cleaned out the cat food dishes.
There've also been two noisy encounters between Big Tom and Skinny Ginger one in our bedroom and one by the cat flap.
Blackie is asleep, Halfway Up The Stairs.

« Reply #1878 on: 20 February, 2023, 10:16:11 am »
Delaying me from going to work this morning.

She is primarily an indoor cat but likes to explore outside occasionally, unfortunately she chose this morning to explore when I went to put the bins out, and then spent half an hour hiding under cars so I couldn't get her back inside before I left for work.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1879 on: 28 February, 2023, 01:55:47 pm »
I'm sure we used to have a "What has your dog eaten today?" thread, but since I can't find it, this one will do...

Anyway, this came up on IRC, and being the canine equivalent of the picolax thread, it seemed wrong not to share it with YACF

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48152

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1880 on: 02 March, 2023, 01:33:19 pm »
Big Tom was sunning himself against the south-east facing garage wall, when Ms Vixen Fox wandered by. Neither made a sound, nor showed any hostility.

They've both ambled away now.

They were well-matched for size.

« Reply #1881 on: 03 March, 2023, 09:56:08 am »
Big Tom was sunning himself against the south-east facing garage wall, when Ms Vixen Fox wandered by. Neither made a sound, nor showed any hostility.

They've both ambled away now.

They were well-matched for size.
I used to have an absolutely massive unit of a cat (he weighed over 20lb, and wasn't fat). One night there was the most horrendous screaming, yowling, and <terrible fox noises> in the back paddock. He sauntered back, bloody torn ears, licking his lips and looking pleased with himself. No sign of a fox ever again. This was the same cat that disliked strange dogs, and would attack them. Anything from terriers to Alsatians.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1882 on: 03 March, 2023, 10:57:53 am »
Years past, we had a normal size black and white cat who terrorised the neighbours Staffies.
One day he was chasing them off his territory when one looked back and ran straight into a fence.
No injury but staffie was definitely confounded.  Their rottvieller don't venture this far.
Miss you Noddy...

« Reply #1883 on: 03 March, 2023, 01:48:02 pm »
Looking smug as she managed to knock one of her doggy lifetime achievements list by treeing a cat in our garden. We have a cat but Tilly is scared of the old girl, this was a new cat I have never seen it before someone must have got it recently.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1884 on: 06 March, 2023, 11:47:06 pm »
Stand-off by the cat flap!

Indoors is Blackie (f, neutered ~4kg), outdoors is Skinny Ginger/Simon (m ~3kg).

Blackie has, so far, deterred SG but I'm sure he'll return when her back is turned.

Big Tom attacked SG earlier today.

ETA SG is now eating everything in the cat food dishes and on the floor. He's an efficient and tidy scavenger!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1885 on: 12 March, 2023, 06:43:32 pm »
Not right now, but in the early hours of this morning I heard a clattering noise from downstairs. I assumed it was either something in the bathroom attached to the tiles via suction cup, or the pictures or coat hooks attached to the walls with command strips falling off.
When I got up I found it was none of these things.
A bit later I noticed one of the greetings cards on the mantelpiece was facing the wrong way.
Even later I noticed that the cat water bowl under the mantelpiece now contained the Shelly H&T sensor, which presumably momentarily registered 100% humidity before dying.
We'll see if it can be revived.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1886 on: 13 March, 2023, 12:11:28 pm »
Also not right now as I am in the office but at 5am this morning the cat was stood on my chest and neck, which woke me up rather effectively.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1887 on: 14 March, 2023, 07:41:16 pm »
Not right now, but in the early hours of this morning I heard a clattering noise from downstairs. I assumed it was either something in the bathroom attached to the tiles via suction cup, or the pictures or coat hooks attached to the walls with command strips falling off.
When I got up I found it was none of these things.
A bit later I noticed one of the greetings cards on the mantelpiece was facing the wrong way.
Even later I noticed that the cat water bowl under the mantelpiece now contained the Shelly H&T sensor, which presumably momentarily registered 100% humidity before dying.
We'll see if it can be revived.

The Shelly appears to be alive.

« Reply #1888 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:25:53 pm »
Goose is learning how to open a Dreamies packet (by ripping a hole in the bottom with his teeth - it's unconventional, but it works for him). :facepalm:

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #1889 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:30:17 pm »
We keep our Dreamies either in a kitchen cabinet or a glass jar, depending on location...

« Reply #1890 on: 27 March, 2023, 09:58:51 pm »
They're normally kept in the kitchen (which is off-limits to the cats until they get bored of jumping up on top of the wall cabinets), but we made the mistake of leaving them on the coffee table. Won't do that again!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1891 on: 28 March, 2023, 12:36:19 am »
Not my dog, but Penelope's ancient labrador. Whilst we were at Pen's this (yesterday) afternoon, Molly the Lab was farting what smelt like the purest hydrogen sulphide. What can possibly have been happening in her guts for that result?

Pen found four candles* and lit them to try to counteract the vile stench.

*Yes, I know
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #1892 on: 28 March, 2023, 12:59:41 am »
Just cut out the middleman and light the farts.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #1893 on: 28 March, 2023, 08:54:28 am »
They're normally kept in the kitchen (which is off-limits to the cats until they get bored of jumping up on top of the wall cabinets)
I predict they will never get bored of that

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1894 on: 28 March, 2023, 02:14:35 pm »
They're normally kept in the kitchen (which is off-limits to the cats until they get bored of jumping up on top of the wall cabinets)
I predict they will never get bored of that

We had a cat that was an enthusiastic climber, but a complete wuss about jumping.  The floor was too far, and the worktop didn't stick out far enough for her liking.  Her procedure for getting down from the top of kitchen cabinets was to mowl pitifully for a human (other than my brother, who she didn't like and wouldn't cooperate with) to come and rescue her.

After a few rescues we came to a compromise, whereby she'd jump onto the shoulders of a waiting human, rather than go to all the effort of finding something to stand on to reach her.  This is the sort of silliness that cat people think is reasonable.

« Reply #1895 on: 28 March, 2023, 02:47:25 pm »
After a few rescues we came to a compromise, whereby she'd jump onto the shoulders of a waiting human, rather than go to all the effort of finding something to stand on to reach her.  This is the sort of silliness that cat people think is reasonable.

Of course it is reasonable.
We do the same when a cat goes on the roof, or up a tree.
But some of our trees are very tall, so sometimes I just tell them to get themselves down.
Years ago, the wailing continued so long I got a ladder to investigate.
Noddy had managed to get wedged in between two upright branches. No matter how much he waved his front and rear legs about, he was going nowhere. He just got more wedged, and I had to lever the branches apart to get him out.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1896 on: 29 March, 2023, 07:20:10 am »
Puss is leaking pus all over the place as he had a fight on Sunday night.  The abcess burst last night :sick:  He's been cleaned up and given anti-inflammatories and antibiotics by the vet, at great expense.

20230327_131233 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Moi?  A pugilist?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1897 on: 29 March, 2023, 02:07:06 pm »
Ah! We used to have a pussy cat in my youth. Mostly the pus would be in his toes after he had lost claws whilst fighting. He was an amazingly tolerant animal and would allow us to squeeze the pus out of the wounds, sometimes miaowing in pain, but he never ever scratched or bit us.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1898 on: 29 March, 2023, 02:14:09 pm »
Having come back to read Wowbagger's post, I've only just spotted the mouse in the above photograph.

« Reply #1899 on: 14 April, 2023, 10:44:53 am »
Last night Luna was being a dirty stop out. For a predominantly indoor cat, with no cat flap1, she is very keen to go for walks outside and at about 7:30 last night slipped out when I went out to put something in the bin. At 10pm I went out looking for her and again at 11pm. So I left a window open and went to bed.

At 4:15 this morning I woke up to her bell jingling and her moving around my bedroom. By the time I was awake enough to realise and go downstairs to close the window she was stuffing her face with kibble.

Now where do you get those GPS trackers so I can find out where she has been going?

1. I guess I am going to have to replace a window pane in the patio doors to fit a cat flap for her. But the price of that is significant  :o