Author Topic: EDGE 530 Course - Max number?  (Read 2460 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
EDGE 530 Course - Max number?
« on: 07 August, 2022, 12:21:50 pm »
I'm trying to upload the courses for my suummer tour - KAW.  I have .FIT files from ride with GPS.
The are 9 sections in total, of which I have split 3 into an A and B to link with my overnight stays, plus a route from Winchester back to my sister's - so 13 files in total

I did the usual drag and drop to New Files, but not all of them showed up.
Now re-doing that to add the missed files seems to add one file and bump another off, so each time I'm seeing 10 courses.  Is that the max that the 530 can handle?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: EDGE 530 Course - Max number?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2022, 12:00:58 am »
  Is that the max that the 530 can handle?

ElyDave

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2022, 05:21:40 am »
Then there must be a problem with the files. I might try them in a different programme, or different format.

My understanding is that .fit are best, followed by .tcx or .gpx?

« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2022, 06:43:31 am »
They have unique internal names within the first 15 characters, including spaces? With RWGPS the internal names will be generally the same as your route / course name, with some substitutions of special characters. If not unique they get overwritten, and yes .fit is smaller but functionally identical to .tcx.

ElyDave

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2022, 07:38:08 am »
Seem to have managed it now, I wonder if the source files i was starting with had problems, as although they looked good, they were not displaying properly in RWGPS in terms of elevation and cues - and these were the Cycling UK versions!

I found another almost identifical full route, with full description, split in 4 places to give me my 5 day routing, all 5 saved as .FIT and sent to Garmin with no issues.  I also saved them as .TCX to Garmin connect, along with the stage by stage files from CUK which seem OK as long as not saved as .FIT or split.  So if all goes tits-up en-route, I have the backup of blue-toothing to the EDGE unit as well as ultimately the hard-copy map-book.

« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2022, 09:57:15 am »
Seem to have managed it now, I wonder if the source files i was starting with had problems, as although they looked good, they were not displaying properly in RWGPS in terms of elevation and cues - and these were the Cycling UK versions!

I found another almost identifical full route, with full description, split in 4 places to give me my 5 day routing, all 5 saved as .FIT and sent to Garmin with no issues.  I also saved them as .TCX to Garmin connect, along with the stage by stage files from CUK which seem OK as long as not saved as .FIT or split.  So if all goes tits-up en-route, I have the backup of blue-toothing to the EDGE unit as well as ultimately the hard-copy map-book.

Check that the Garmin Connect ones still have the cues / course points as GC will generally (actually always in my experience) strip out cues from imported files, it does this because garmin does not believe anyone needs anything other than its Turn Guidance so does not need cues / course points from other sites

ElyDave

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2022, 11:20:38 am »
Shouldn't be needed as the five sub-routes all finish at the point I turn off-route to the hotel, which is a km or two away.