Author Topic: Durn(ess) Run  (Read 2763 times)

Durn(ess) Run
« on: 31 March, 2008, 02:43:18 pm »
Way back when, I had the idea of doing a Durn Run.  This would be a similar concept ot the Dun Run except it would run from Inverness to Durness.

It is possible to fly to Inverness and also to catch the train.   Bonus points is that there is a scheduled bus service between Inverness and Durness that carries bicycles.  Makes the return leg easier for those that want it.

I was thinking sometime late May to mid June.  I cannot fit it in this year now but it is a possibility for 2009.   The very long daylight hours will make for minimal night running and at that time of year you will only get minimal midge attacks.  There will be very little traffic once pat Dingwall, and definitely once through Ardgay.    By avoiding the busy roads early on there is one place where you have to carry your bikes up and down steps (near Carbisdale Castle)

Distance is around 120 miles, scenery is far more breathtaking if I may be so bold as to suggest.   there are a couple of hills but nothing on the strenuous scale for anybody contemplating that sort of distance in one go.   I took a fully laden tourer over the route in 2004.

You would need to be be fully self-supporting.   I guess that really goes without saying.

I do have a couple of ideas for feed stations which may be feasible depending numbers but once feed stations are introduced a 'contribution' would be required.   

I know of breakfast possibilities too.   There is also the very cold North Sea / Atlantic Ocean for the very hardy.

So, just out of curiosity, anybody interested? 

There is enough clues in there to guess the majority of the route but if interest is high I'll do a more detailed routesheet.

Craig

Re: Durn(ess) Run
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »
I'm interested. Sounds like fun, and I'll probably be staying in the Inverness area over the summer. I've probably ridden various parts of the route before as far as Carbisdale Castle, but not much to the north of that.

There is a 300km audax from Portmahomack in June, which I assume from its name goes to Durness and back. I'm planing on riding that, which should give an idea of the route and the scenery.

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:04:59 pm »
I was looking at maps last night, and photos from my trip in 2004 and the enthusiasm is growing.  ;D

I'm hoping that a few of the residents north of the border might be tempted.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:23:07 pm »
I think you know from previous comments that I'm interested

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:25:54 pm »
I might be fit enough in 2009 to do this :-[ 

« Reply #5 on: 01 April, 2008, 02:37:20 pm »
Ah.  That's more like it.    ;D

I'll start more detailed planning in a few weeks then.  A busy couple of months ahead first.

gordon taylor

« Reply #6 on: 19 April, 2008, 09:25:53 am »
Can I help with a recce? If my 2008 plans go right, I'll be landing at Scrabster on 20th August. I thought I might go West through Durness and Ullapool before returning to Inverness.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 19 April, 2008, 10:36:07 am »
Gordy -  Any spare time to pop over and see me?

gordon taylor

« Reply #8 on: 19 April, 2008, 12:24:35 pm »
Gordy -  Any spare time to pop over and see me?

It is really tempting to wander about in North West Scotland  for a while instead of slogging out the 600 miles between Scrabster and home. I'll probably have to wait and see how I feel at the time. Is that OK? I've never been to the Outer Hebridees although we spent umpteen family holidays on Tiree when I were but a lad...

Thanks, Windy, your invitation is very tempting!

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2008, 12:33:44 pm »
I have just had this route approved as a 200km perm by Lucy:  I plan on riding it in July this year, starting from Bettyhill.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bettyhill-225

I'll also be riding the Durness 300 in June, the one mentioned by Craig.

I'd be interested in a Durness Run in 2009  :thumbsup:

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »
Try not to make this clash with the Dumb Run, and I might give it a go.