Author Topic: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT  (Read 77962 times)

Re: Wahoo Elemnt BOLT
« Reply #125 on: 31 May, 2018, 01:28:22 pm »
Actually found this https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z9TV2NB9Z/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-to-garmin-edge-adaptor?optionId=64468803&li=ostatus

Hopefully will solve my problem

Ah, but you'll be losing the aero advantage that the profile of the Bolt mount gives (according to wind tunnel tests)  ;)
The sound of one pannier flapping

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #126 on: 31 May, 2018, 02:07:53 pm »
HK has been using a couple of similar adaptors for her Wahoo. They are very tight fits on the Wahoo but good fits in the Garmin mount.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #127 on: 31 May, 2018, 02:13:51 pm »
That looks very neat and a lot better than some manufacturers would produce.

Got one on order so will report back

« Reply #128 on: 02 June, 2018, 12:15:07 pm »
Actually found this https://www.shapeways.com/product/Z9TV2NB9Z/wahoo-elemnt-bolt-to-garmin-edge-adaptor?optionId=64468803&li=ostatus

Hopefully will solve my problem

I'd be interested to hear if it's a good solution - reason being I've been looking for a silver out-front mount for my Bolt to go with a bike with silver handlebars, so it doesn't look too out of place, but I can only find them for Garmin, not Wahoo - so this might be a solution for that "problem".
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

PaulF

« Reply #129 on: 02 June, 2018, 01:05:04 pm »
Well it’s been shipped so I’ll report back. Due to arrive on Tuesday but I’m travelling so won’t see it until next weekend

« Reply #130 on: 02 June, 2018, 02:29:41 pm »
BTW, Wahoo replaced my faulty Bolt quickly and without question once they'd looked at the tracklogs (almost a year old and the GPS tracking started going wonky).  Their customer service was very good - personalised email replies within hours and quick turnaround.

Seem like a good company to deal with if you are unlucky enough to have problems.

« Reply #131 on: 02 June, 2018, 03:22:18 pm »
BTW, Wahoo replaced my faulty Bolt quickly and without question once they'd looked at the tracklogs (almost a year old and the GPS tracking started going wonky).  Their customer service was very good - personalised email replies within hours and quick turnaround.

Seem like a good company to deal with if you are unlucky enough to have problems.

Unlike Garmin...

« Reply #132 on: 04 June, 2018, 07:51:28 pm »
Hi guys, any of you come across "unable to create a file/track" when trying to sync between Elemnt app on iphone and Elemnt Bolt ?

How did you resolve this or how is this resolved?

« Reply #133 on: 05 June, 2018, 05:16:40 pm »
Well mine arrived yesterday, set it up but not used it yet. Bit of a niggle is their descision to offset the mount by 90o compared to a Garmin mount.

Anyone know of a cheap source of Wahoo mounts?
You can use a garmin mount with a small modification - https://youtu.be/UH_1YIkXpxY
I have done it and it works perfectly

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

PaulF

« Reply #134 on: 05 June, 2018, 05:31:57 pm »
Think that only works for the Garmin stem mounts that you can also rotate on the stem? For an out front mount the slots will point in the same direction as the tab on the ELEMNT surely?

« Reply #135 on: 05 June, 2018, 05:43:03 pm »
Think that only works for the Garmin stem mounts that you can also rotate on the stem? For an out front mount the slots will point in the same direction as the tab on the ELEMNT surely?

No.  You can unscrew the insert and rotate by 90 degrees.  I've modified several Garmin out-front holders using this method & can confirm it works well.

The only (very) slight issue is that the Bolt can rotate both ways after this mod (unlike with the Wahoo mount).  That means pressing the zoom buttons on the lower right of the unit will rotate the Bolt clockwise out of the mount unless you keep pressure on the lower left at the same time.  No big deal but worth mentioning.

PaulF

« Reply #136 on: 05 June, 2018, 06:59:40 pm »
That makes sense; my Garmin mounts are copies and one piece without the ability to rotate the fitting. Hence my confusion.

« Reply #137 on: 05 June, 2018, 08:07:53 pm »
Just installed an update to my bolt.

« Reply #138 on: 07 June, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »
On the out front mount there are two screws underneath that allow you to rotate the mounting plate by 90 degrees. I have successfully converted two old mounts in less than 10 minutes.

« Reply #139 on: 07 June, 2018, 04:49:55 pm »

No.  You can unscrew the insert and rotate by 90 degrees.  I've modified several Garmin out-front holders using this method & can confirm it works well.

The only (very) slight issue is that the Bolt can rotate both ways after this mod (unlike with the Wahoo mount).  That means pressing the zoom buttons on the lower right of the unit will rotate the Bolt clockwise out of the mount unless you keep pressure on the lower left at the same time.  No big deal but worth mentioning.
I only modify one side of the mount which means that it will only go in one way which possibly avoids this issue

« Reply #140 on: 07 June, 2018, 05:01:56 pm »
I only modify one side of the mount which means that it will only go in one way which possibly avoids this issue

I also only modified one side but it still rotates both ways.  Check it on yours.

PaulF

« Reply #141 on: 08 June, 2018, 07:15:49 pm »
Well it’s been shipped so I’ll report back. Due to arrive on Tuesday but I’m travelling so won’t see it until next weekend

Well it arrived whilst I was away in a massive box! Slots very snugly into the ELEMNT, raises the unit a few millimetres but unless your very aero conscious it won’t matter! When I fit it to a Garmin mount, fit is variable, some it’s snug but others a little loose depending on the mount. It also will rotate fully in the mount with no lock - but none of my mounts are genuine Garmin. In use it’s fine, stayed in place as expected.

« Reply #142 on: 15 June, 2018, 06:08:18 pm »
Bugger! I dropped my Bolt face down onto some concrete about a week ago  :facepalm: and have damaged the screen, it doesn't look cracked externally, but the whole screen isn't looking great and a solid black patch seems to be spreading from one corner, and I can now no longer read the bottom right field at all. I assume this is not going to be repairable?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #143 on: 15 June, 2018, 06:49:28 pm »
Screens on consumer devices are generally replaceable, depending on availability and your appetite for spudging.

« Reply #144 on: 16 June, 2018, 10:21:19 am »
Screens on consumer devices are generally replaceable, depending on availability and your appetite for spudging.

I haven't found any replacement screens available anywhere, though...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #145 on: 16 June, 2018, 09:23:14 pm »

Does anyone know if you turn off a Bolt during a ride, but without ending the ride, (say during lunch), if you turn it back on will can you resume where you left off?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #146 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:07:49 pm »
If I stop for a cuppa or lunch, I just leave mine, don't touch it, it goes to sleep and wakes up and resumes when I start again - ideal. That said, I don't know what the cut off time is or what happens then!

« Reply #147 on: 16 June, 2018, 11:15:18 pm »

Does anyone know if you turn off a Bolt during a ride, but without ending the ride, (say during lunch), if you turn it back on will can you resume where you left off?

J
It will, but you have an anxious moment where it says it’s recovering the ride. Therefore I don’t bother and I leave it on the whole time and use a power bank to top up the charge.

« Reply #148 on: 17 June, 2018, 08:55:50 am »
Yesterday I tested for the first time whether plugging in a power pack mid-ride would reset anything, particularly the tracklog (as some had suggested might happen).  Happy to see nothing was affected.

I had the battery pack in an empty bidon & connected to the bolt (on the out front mount) via a curly usb lead and right-angle plug.  This will come in handy on rides over 15 hours.  Not sure what to do if it's raining.

« Reply #149 on: 17 June, 2018, 09:19:30 am »
Yes, it doesn't affect it all. The only thing I've noticed is that once the charge is 100% the ext.battery switches off...and doesn't turn itself back on...so you have to jeep an eye on it. Not an onerous task, however.