Author Topic: Silly signs  (Read 338662 times)

Re: Silly signs
« Reply #1525 on: 01 August, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »
Silly to leave the sign in the undergrowth on the border of a field the farmer has to cut to see where to drive the combine into the field...

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1526 on: 01 August, 2020, 02:51:54 pm »
I pointed that one out to Mrs ED this morning  :thumbsup:
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #1527 on: 01 August, 2020, 05:26:04 pm »
I don’t think my son-inl-law did as much damage as he mowed it last year. He had a few days off this year and one of the others did it.

« Reply #1528 on: 25 September, 2020, 03:42:03 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #1529 on: 25 September, 2020, 05:38:16 pm »

There's a Wank Mountain near Garmisch-Partenkirchen. You can go up it on the Wankbahn.

« Reply #1530 on: 25 September, 2020, 06:45:52 pm »

There's a Wank Mountain near Garmisch-Partenkirchen. You can go up it on the Wankbahn.

That's a coincidence, there's a Wank Mountain in Westminster, too.

« Reply #1531 on: 25 September, 2020, 07:38:10 pm »

That's a coincidence, there's a Wank Mountain in Westminster, too.
An accurate observation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1532 on: 05 October, 2020, 05:22:18 pm »
Our local Aldi has an A4 sheet of info about Covid-19 precautions taped to the main entrance door.  Before you get close enough to read anything bar the title, the door-opener triggers and the sheet is whisked away out of sight.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1533 on: 28 November, 2020, 12:01:35 am »
I think they should install pedestrian speed cameras.

IMG_7128_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #1534 on: 28 November, 2020, 03:56:20 pm »

In the same neck of the woods - no more Fucking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/fugging-hell-tired-of-mockery-austrian-village-changes-name
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #1535 on: 28 November, 2020, 08:23:53 pm »
In the same neck of the woods - no more Fucking.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/26/fugging-hell-tired-of-mockery-austrian-village-changes-name

That's a shame. They should better try to get their village twinned with Montcuq, because
(click to show/hide)

A

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1536 on: 16 December, 2020, 01:44:20 am »
From my Facebook ffeed...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1537 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:46:13 pm »
Spotted cable-tied to a signpost yesterday, a sign advertising "ANTI-BULLYING PREVENTION" along with children's martial arts lessons.

« Reply #1538 on: 05 January, 2021, 12:52:58 pm »
Spotted cable-tied to a signpost yesterday, a sign advertising "ANTI-BULLYING PREVENTION" along with children's martial arts lessons.
In a similar vein as you exit the south portal of Greenwich Foot Tunnel, there's a sign stating 'No Cycling Allowed' along with the obligatory red roundel with a red diagonal bisecting black bike on a white background. ::-)

« Reply #1539 on: 05 January, 2021, 06:53:57 pm »
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #1540 on: 05 January, 2021, 07:06:57 pm »
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #1541 on: 16 January, 2021, 11:38:02 am »

Is it because the Welsh are faster walkers than the English, or because the English waste 2 minutes trying to read the top sign?

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1542 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:20:55 pm »
Interesting. I live on the Welsh borders so am used to seeing and hearing some Welsh words that are easy to translate into English, or maybe French, then English (e.g Eglwys, Eglise, Church).

Now I see that more = mwy, so if you pronounce the Welsh version as it should be (I think), it actually sounds like "more".

FWIW, in the early days of the excavation of the machine hall at Dinorwic power station, a geologist friend of mine took me (as another geologist) down on his night shift to see the works in progress. Heaven forbid - no way that could be done now. In the canteen after the shift the miners were chatting in Welsh, naturally, but then every so often there would be a word for which the miners presumably had no Welsh equivalent, such as "hydraulics", or "explosives".  Those were the days.  It was a huge span of roof too, they'd just opened out the arch and were working on cutting out the hall, downwards. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1543 on: 16 January, 2021, 12:23:49 pm »

Is it because the Welsh are faster walkers than the English, or because the English waste 2 minutes trying to read the top sign?

Separate shops on the other side of town for non-Welsh speakers? :)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1544 on: 16 January, 2021, 01:29:58 pm »
Interesting. I live on the Welsh borders so am used to seeing and hearing some Welsh words that are easy to translate into English, or maybe French, then English (e.g Eglwys, Eglise, Church).

Now I see that more = mwy, so if you pronounce the Welsh version as it should be (I think), it actually sounds like "more".
It's interesting that three of the four nouns on that sign (minutes, shops, cafes) are recognizable in English. Though I think only shops is actually an "English" word.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1545 on: 16 January, 2021, 03:35:54 pm »

It's interesting that three of the four nouns on that sign (minutes, shops, cafes) are recognizable in English. Though I think only shops is actually an "English" word.

And once that's lined up with the translation, the top bit obv. says "It's a Welsh 6 minute walk... "

« Reply #1546 on: 16 January, 2021, 04:47:17 pm »
Welsh minutes are longer...  :P

« Reply #1547 on: 16 January, 2021, 05:03:32 pm »
At least the Welsh version wasn't the translator's out of office autoreply.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1548 on: 16 January, 2021, 06:10:24 pm »

And once that's lined up with the translation, the top bit obv. says "It's a Welsh 6 minute walk... "
Mae'n cymryd = it takes. Or so google translate tells me.

The shops must be uphill from the sign. English people, being unused to Welsh mountains and Welsh rain, find walking uphill in the rain slower. But coming down, they slip and slide the whole way. There must be a sign outside the shops that says it takes 6 minutes back to wherever that is, in Welsh, and 4 minutes in English!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1549 on: 17 January, 2021, 08:35:05 am »

Mae'n cymryd = it takes. Or so google translate tells me.

Yes, apparently
Cymry = Welsh People
Cymryd = Take
Cymrydd = Welshman

That's not confusing at all.