Author Topic: Supplier for HP Velotechnik bits  (Read 4693 times)

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
Supplier for HP Velotechnik bits
« on: 02 March, 2013, 03:32:20 pm »
Any ideas (that aren't D.Tek or bikefix)?  Preferably for somewhere that'll take orders over Teh Intarwebz?
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

Re: Supplier for HP Velotechnik bits
« Reply #1 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:52:05 pm »
I go direct to HPV for bits, they're quick and helpful. No Paypal though, they only take a bank transfer which is a bit of a faff first time. Just email them with what you want and they'll send you an invoice, they dispatch when they receive payment.

Otherwise, Bikefix or Kinetics are their agents.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 02 March, 2013, 03:58:26 pm »
I've had very mixed experiences with Bikefix.  Will try HPV directly next time I need something that can't be fettled from scratch.

I've no idea how people actually manage to buy things from D-Tek  ::-)

« Reply #3 on: 02 March, 2013, 04:38:58 pm »
Kinetics has a "system" all of its own too...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Supplier for HP Velotechnik bits
« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2013, 05:39:14 pm »
What do you need ?

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2013, 05:49:06 pm »
Currently after a water-bottle mounting plate.  Initially thought it would be easier to order the official kit than to fabricate something myself, but I am starting to wonder now...

I've had problems getting spares in the past which is why it's spent most of the past few years off the road :(.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2013, 05:51:07 pm »
For the back of the seat?  Use a hydration system with tactical Dealextreme magnets, it'll be less awkward to reach.

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #7 on: 02 March, 2013, 06:33:54 pm »
My experience with hydration packs hasn't been great in the past, and for long-term I'm a little leery about the keeping-them-clean aspect, especially if they're ever used with anything other than water.  I'm reasonably sure that with one of these brackets on the under-seat braze-ons I'll be able to grab the bottles on the move.  (Although, looking again at that picture, DIY solutions do spring to mind...)

But for now, I've tried an e-mail to Kinetics -- I've forgotten they did HPV stuff.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2013, 06:57:59 pm »
My experience with hydration packs hasn't been great in the past, and for long-term I'm a little leery about the keeping-them-clean aspect, especially if they're ever used with anything other than water.

Work fine if you over-engineer them enough :)

But yes, the only using plain water thing is a major drawback.  I've been known to carry both for that reason (and of course the under-frame bottle cage mount is only reachable when stopped).

I'm reasonably sure that with one of these brackets on the under-seat braze-ons I'll be able to grab the bottles on the move.  (Although, looking again at that picture, DIY solutions do spring to mind...)

My shoulders make alarming crunching noises just looking at them, but YMMV.  It's probably fine with enough practice (I'm less than confident drinking from bottles on a DF bike while moving, anyway).

And yes, they do look eminently DIYable...

« Reply #9 on: 02 March, 2013, 08:53:38 pm »
My experience with hydration packs hasn't been great in the past, and for long-term I'm a little leery about the keeping-them-clean aspect, especially if they're ever used with anything other than water.

It's easy to keep one clean.
I just put 1/2 a Milton table in mine every week or so when I'm on tour.
Leave it for an hour and then drain it and let it air dry.
The hotter it is the more often I do it.
I use a dilute isotonic in mine as I find it better than just water.
Works fine that way on my long tours.

« Reply #10 on: 02 March, 2013, 10:19:00 pm »
Not the perfect solution in any sense but Decathlon do (or did) bottle holder mounts in rubber that fix with a rubber band in much the same way as the Raceblade mudguards do. Very handy for botching bottle mounts in all sorts of odd places (or mini-pump clips for that matter). Probably best reinforced with a cable-tie!! I don't know if these were french market only or if they still do them but they were cheap and I bought quite a few before realising that I couldn't make good use of them (and pinched the cage screws out of them). Will look for a link!!

Like this: http://www.decathlon.fr/attache-porte-bidon-apb-300-id_4766980.htm

« Reply #11 on: 03 March, 2013, 12:40:07 pm »

Simples, ring him, I have had no problem, even if I had to wait I would rather deal with (The Oracle) him, he is to my mind a character (rarer and rarer nowadays) and being a one man band preferable to anonymouse shops. Feed him sausage rolls and he is very tame   ;)

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 03 March, 2013, 01:31:04 pm »
Yeah, but after the first 50 attempts and just hitting voicemail, what do you do then?

I agree, he's a lovely guy, and his expertise is second to none, but barakta missed out on a year's cycling due to his reluctance to answer email or the (problematic) phone, or do any of that boring businessy stuff once contacted.  You have to draw a line somewhere.

London Recumbents OTOH, are a friendly multi-person band who actually respond to customers in a timely manner.  No idea what they're like for HPV spares though.

« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2013, 04:36:14 pm »
I can only speak for myself and the multitude of people I know personally that have dealt with him with no problem.
                PS: Did you try sausage rolls  (home made of course)   ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2013, 04:43:50 pm »

No.  We did send him a spork though.

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2013, 04:47:43 pm »

Titanium I trust  ;D    what better way to divide a sossige roll    :)

« Reply #16 on: 06 June, 2013, 11:49:25 pm »
Try toxy.de - trouble is you need to pay by bank transfer (in Germany).  I could probably sort it out if needed - eg just been quoted £48 for replacement front mounting bracket for Streamer by Bikefix - not saying this isn't the correct price, but it's a lot more than I remember it being from Toxy so will ask them too.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2013, 09:29:16 am »

Titanium I trust  ;D    what better way to divide a sossige roll    :)

I still owe him money.  I have asked him on more than one occasion, by phone, email and in person, to let me know how much I owe him (it's a good few hundred).  Each time I get "I'll send you an email and let you know".  I have heard nothing.  It is over 18 months...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #18 on: 09 June, 2013, 06:43:39 pm »

It's easy enough if you're there in person and buying something he already has ("I'll take that one" whilst waving cash or credit card!), but yeah he's a bit of a disaster area if you're trying to do it by phone/email, and it's something he'll have to order and send on to you!

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #19 on: 17 July, 2013, 03:59:33 pm »
he's a bit of a disaster area if you're trying to do it by phone/email, and it's something he'll have to order and send on to you!

I always get a quick reply, emailed Kevin last night before work and got an answer at 10.30 this morning.

Re the part you're after (if you're still after it?) have you tried Kinetics?

Kevin has never ever been a dealer for the HPVelo bike range (BIKEFIX are ranked as the Number 1 dealer and Kinetics number 2) but does stock used models for sale and hires out the full range including trikes.
In fact actually having been in his shed, I'd say he carries more stock than all the official UK dealers combined.

*End of advert  ;D*

Rich