Author Topic: When was your last interaction with Picolax?  (Read 11373 times)

When was your last interaction with Picolax?
« on: 16 May, 2023, 07:40:16 pm »
Have you had picolax recently?

Ok it is called plenvu now and comes in mango flavour.

Any advice on what to eat before a bowel cleanse?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: When was your last interaction with Picolax?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May, 2023, 07:44:13 pm »
Yes I've been there in the last few years.
Google for 'Low Residue'.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #2 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:19:57 pm »
It's been a long time - mid 90s to be exact. There was a classic thread on an MTB forum at some time in the past asking if the poster should embark on an mtb ride following picolax ingestion.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:22:11 pm »
Last week.
It is simpler than it looks.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #5 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:38:23 pm »
There should be advice with the prep. For two days before eat little fibre. So, rice, potatoes, white bread. Nothing with seeds. Nothing red. Chicken or white fish. Drink plenty of fluid, fruit juice with no bits. Stay near a loo. Enjoy the brown pencil.

For 24 hours (or whatever the instructions say) eat nothing solid. You will be hungry...

It’s best to over follow the instructions, nothing worse than the endoscopist cursing and setting up a new appointment for you… (my notes have a note to say one kind of prep should not be used on me, it doesn’t work)

I’ve had about 15 endoscopies,  not kept exact count… only had Picolax once, last week. It was like the starter for the main corse of Moviprep.

« Reply #6 on: 16 May, 2023, 09:39:25 pm »
It's been a long time - mid 90s to be exact. There was a classic thread on an MTB forum at some time in the past asking if the poster should embark on an mtb ride following picolax ingestion.

I might have linked to the Singletrack forum's legendary (and temporarily lost) thread a couple of times on here in the past  :demon: :

https://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns

(I'm getting the 403 error, but isitdownorjust.me says it's working, so...)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:02:18 pm »

I might have linked to the Singletrack forum's legendary (and temporarily lost) thread a couple of times on here in the past  :demon: :

https://singletrackworld.com/2009/02/the-picolax-thread-returns

(I'm getting the 403 error, but isitdownorjust.me says it's working, so...)

Working here  ;D

On Thurs some Docs are looking at my insides from the wrong end if you know what I mean…I’ve got to take two laxative potions; one at 0800 and one at 2000 tomorrow, but I’ve got an offer to go riding on Dartmoor. Will I s**t my brains out in the morning and then be fine for the day, or do I need to stay within sprinting distance of a loo?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2023, 10:52:08 pm »
Never had Picolax.
Had moviPrep before colonoscopy, nearly 10 years ago.
I was told I was 'clean inside.

Low residue diet for days beforehand was dull as hell.
Clear apple juice is your friend.

Drink plenty.

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2023, 11:05:01 pm »

Singletrack I believe, and I have read it.

So there are a few bowel cleansers out there.  Haven't had the luxury of much warning but did eat some chinese random foods from a buffet for lunch, the packet of joy  arrived and I wasn't told about the cleansing bit.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:44:12 am »
I think I had 5 days of low-res.

I had very specific instructions as to what to eat.

This is the Imperial advice sheet.

Mine was similar.

https://www.imperial.nhs.uk/-/media/files/low-residue-diet.pdf?rev=b7780ec59c5b458286e909b2b9d48f7b

« Reply #11 on: 17 May, 2023, 06:40:17 am »
Thanks all. I think.

I'm on the waiting list for another colonoscopy.

I think they gave me Fleet for previous adventures - I don't remember the preparation phases, but the first time I was otherwise unwell and on a hospital ward.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #12 on: 17 May, 2023, 06:51:13 am »
As no one has said it:

Check, double check and triple check the date of your procedure before starting the bowel prep!

« Reply #13 on: 17 May, 2023, 07:06:41 am »
The thread link opens for me.

I have 2 hours of public transport travel today.  I shall have a read ... 

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #14 on: 17 May, 2023, 07:28:15 am »
The thread link opens for me.

I have 2 hours of public transport travel today.  I shall have a read ...

Beware, the text colours don’t conform to accessibility guidance.

« Reply #15 on: 17 May, 2023, 08:00:39 am »
Ah yes.  A "tasteful" choice has been made.  Thanks for the warning.  👍

Slips extra strength reading glasses into pocket ...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:50:17 pm »
I have 2 hours of public transport travel today.

DO NOT, repeat: DO NOT take Picolax before travelling on public transport.  This has been a public service announcement.

« Reply #17 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:51:01 pm »
As no one has said it:

Check, double check and triple check the date of your procedure before starting the bowel prep!

No man reading...yep I know the date and time.

Biggest laugh is the second sachet is rum punch flavour.  I shit you not.

« Reply #18 on: 17 May, 2023, 12:57:39 pm »

;D

Did I see what you did there, or am I reading too much into it?

Mind you, if you are going to take something that replicates the worst case of the raging bumsquirts you've ever had and takes it up to eleven, it might as well taste non-medicinal...
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #19 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:26:08 pm »
Never had Picolax.

Drink plenty.

I had moviPrep in february. Vile stuff, choose whatever flavour you like, orange or lemon, they're both equally foul. I read the "mode d'emploi" and it appears it is just a hideous overdose of common salt. The colo went ok, results said "nettoyage incomplète" (or something to that effect) but still gave me the all clear. It was drinking the 1l of water in the hour after the dose in the evening that defeated me, I just can't drink flat water that fast (and sparkling water was not allowed, presumably because of the salt). Apparently "nettoyage incomplète" is a completely normal comment in France, they're never satisfied. Any way that's it for 3 years and I'll just have to try to do better next time!

« Reply #20 on: 17 May, 2023, 02:54:15 pm »
Never had Picolax.

Drink plenty.

I had moviPrep in february. Vile stuff, choose whatever flavour you like, orange or lemon, they're both equally foul. I read the "mode d'emploi" and it appears it is just a hideous overdose of common salt. The colo went ok, results said "nettoyage incomplète" (or something to that effect) but still gave me the all clear. It was drinking the 1l of water in the hour after the dose in the evening that defeated me, I just can't drink flat water that fast (and sparkling water was not allowed, presumably because of the salt). Apparently "nettoyage incomplète" is a completely normal comment in France, they're never satisfied. Any way that's it for 3 years and I'll just have to try to do better next time!

Better than mine of waiting 6 months and nothing being organised in la belle france.

« Reply #21 on: 17 May, 2023, 02:56:20 pm »

;D

Did I see what you did there, or am I reading too much into it?

Mind you, if you are going to take something that replicates the worst case of the raging bumsquirts you've ever had and takes it up to eleven, it might as well taste non-medicinal...

;D

The first one is mango and I'll be consuming the gloop at around 16h i have loose fitting shorts and t shirt as a prep....

Will fill you all in on the flavour afterwards.

« Reply #22 on: 17 May, 2023, 04:11:43 pm »
So mixed up the medicine, and the mango smell was strong, So I ended up drink the luke warm mixture in one go and it tasted vile almost plastic...butso much for drink it over half an hour..I just drank it all.  Then a pint of water to sip...

Wish me luck.

« Reply #23 on: 18 May, 2023, 06:39:06 am »
14 hours and counting and no further updates.  Did Agent Picolax bungle the mission I wonder?

Hope all is going to plan.

« Reply #24 on: 18 May, 2023, 12:13:12 pm »
Thank you.  Slept alright.
Nothing really to update.  The effect is not as violent as picolax, tho I don't know as I haven't had picolax.  Have had the second dose, which was two sachets to mix and not much has happened more than the expected.

My appointment is at tooth hurty,  at UCLH in central London so anyone want to meet for a drink after  ;D