Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134504 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #100 on: 21 August, 2017, 02:50:15 pm »

So, no one is actually sure of their entry until they receive .  . . . . . . . . ?  A route sheet, or some form of confirmation?

Not sure... waiting for clarification

« Reply #101 on: 21 August, 2017, 04:16:09 pm »
I'd paid by PayPal for an event this year but wasn't on the start list. These things can happen.

Slightly differing issue,  but that has happened a few times to me this year - most embarrassing, not having a brevet card for someone that presents themselves at the start all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #102 on: 21 August, 2017, 07:09:33 pm »

So, no one is actually sure of their entry until they receive .  . . . . . . . . ?  A route sheet, or some form of confirmation?

Not sure... waiting for clarification

I think last year I received a confirmation email in December advising I was in. At that time, I'm pretty sure spaces were still available. You could watch your online banking for the cheque to be cashed, but you couldn't know whether it wasn't cashed because for some reason it hadn't arrived or because the organiser is waiting for enough cheques to make a bank trip worthwhile or even waiting until they need to start paying for bookings for the ride. 

I suggest not worrying until December. the post is nearly 100% reliable, if you sent it they almost certainly have it.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #103 on: 21 August, 2017, 09:54:16 pm »
From the calendar page:

This list should not be seen as proof of entry. It simply shows the rides that you chose to add to your calendar along with any events you clicked the 'Enter this event' button for.

Thanks for the clarification on how the calendar works, clearly I needed to have read the stuff at the top of the page instead of looking at the pretty brevet badge colours. :facepalm:

whosatthewheel

« Reply #104 on: 22 August, 2017, 03:57:50 pm »

I suggest not worrying until December. the post is nearly 100% reliable, if you sent it they almost certainly have it.

Will do. Failing that, I will buy a MTBike cassette and enter the Mille Pennines...  ;D

whosatthewheel

« Reply #105 on: 09 September, 2017, 10:05:09 am »
Cheque cashed... I guess that means I am in!   ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #106 on: 09 September, 2017, 09:41:31 pm »
Cheque cashed... I guess that means I am in!   ;D
Enjoy, it is an awesome ride.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #107 on: 10 September, 2017, 01:16:49 am »
You could weigh it and put the proper stamp on it.

The issue is not the weight; it is unlikely to exceed 100g.

The issue is thickness; a letter >5mm needs a Large stamp. This is more likely to be an issue if there's a badge in the envelope. Thickness is a pain to assess but road-runner gave me a handy Royal Mail sizing thing.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #108 on: 10 September, 2017, 08:34:25 am »
Are you sure you have got enough postage on that?

You could weigh it and put the proper stamp on it.

The issue is not the weight; it is unlikely to exceed 100g.

The issue is thickness;

Thanks for the collective panic but you can all stop worrying on my behalf as there's a cheque transaction of £42.00 pending on my account.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #109 on: 10 September, 2017, 02:02:45 pm »
Pleased to hear it!

My postage comment was made as a general point of information. The 5mm thickness business is a real PITA IMO.

I had to pay extra to receive a birthday card handcrafted by a young nephew, so it didn't come on time.  :(

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #110 on: 10 September, 2017, 03:46:42 pm »
My cheque has been cashed too. I'm really looking forward to riding it :thumbsup:

« Reply #111 on: 22 September, 2017, 09:15:11 am »
I got a confirmation email today that I had a place. Better start training!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #112 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:36:14 pm »
why can't they do online entry? I don't even posess a cheque book any more, deep sadness every time the BCM is discussed :-( 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #113 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:45:58 pm »
why can't they do online entry? I don't even posess a cheque book any more, deep sadness every time the BCM is discussed :-(

I presume the pain of asking someone to write a cheque for you outweighs this "deep sadness" that you feel ?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #114 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:52:43 pm »

Several reasons.

A PayPal payment can be reversed. Not so a cheque (Or at least not so easily)

A PayPal payment provides proof of payment. The posting of a cheque proves nothing. An org could deny ever having received it, should they wish to deny entry to their event.

billyam998

« Reply #115 on: 22 September, 2017, 07:56:33 pm »

I presume the pain of asking someone to write a cheque for you outweighs this "deep sadness" that you feel ?
I don't know of anyone to write a cheque, postal orders cost extra as do going to bank and getting a cheque made out there. In this day and age, payment should be simpler / more reliable/ traceable than sending a cheque through the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whosatthewheel

« Reply #116 on: 23 September, 2017, 06:00:51 am »
A few good reasons why Paypal and BCM are not a good idea.

1) With Paypal it would become a race for the quickest to press the button, it could easily fill up before you even drag yourself out of bed on the  day registration opens. Post dilutes this effect considerably and gets rid of the "impulse buyers". The LWL filled up in less than 24 hours, BCM would probably fill up in minutes.

2) Paypal will charge roughly 3% of the transaction, so here we are probably talking a loss of 300 quid or so, or a higher entry fee.

3) This is an AUK members event only, I don't think the AUK site has a system that blocks paypal entries for non members, so that would need to be implemented

Putting together the envelopes, cheque and registration form took a whopping 5 minutes of my life... 5 minutes nobody will give me back... it's not that big a deal, is it?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #117 on: 23 September, 2017, 08:12:37 am »

2) Paypal will charge roughly 3% of the transaction, so here we are probably talking a loss of 300 quid or so, or a higher entry fee.

Gosh, it's a lot, isn't it? Not having run a large event, this hadn't really sunk in. £300.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #118 on: 23 September, 2017, 09:11:58 am »

1) With Paypal it would become a race for the quickest to press the button, it could easily fill up before you even drag yourself out of bed on the  day registration opens. Post dilutes this effect considerably and gets rid of the "impulse buyers". The LWL filled up in less than 24 hours, BCM would probably fill up in minutes.

3) This is an AUK members event only, I don't think the AUK site has a system that blocks paypal entries for non members, so that would need to be implemented

Putting together the envelopes, cheque and registration form took a whopping 5 minutes of my life... 5 minutes nobody will give me back... it's not that big a deal, is it?
1) not true entries have been open for some time and not closed yet. I'll accept might push entry response out by a week, but anyone desperate enough to enter in seconds will sort out a postal entry way before now. Unless they can't in or some reason. But we shouldn't restrict entry based on access to banking.

2) is the field size 250? I thought it was smaller than that? Still £200 Would still be significant. However 3% of £42 is not going to upset many entrants. I suspect most would be happy to pay £1.50 more

3) not sure how to deal with this, refund entries from non a UK? There are a growing number of high demand sun events, the sun members only requirement could become more popular with organisers, a UK could implement a system where only members who were logged in could see certain events, but this would also inconvenience members of overseas audax organisations which shouldn't be the case.

billyam998

« Reply #119 on: 24 September, 2017, 12:06:12 pm »

1) not true entries have been open for some time and not closed yet. I'll accept might push entry response out by a week, but anyone desperate enough to enter in seconds will sort out a postal entry way before now. Unless they can't in or some reason. But we shouldn't restrict entry based on access to banking.

2) is the field size 250? I thought it was smaller than that? Still £200 Would still be significant. However 3% of £42 is not going to upset many entrants. I suspect most would be happy to pay £1.50 more

3) not sure how to deal with this, refund entries from non a UK? There are a growing number of high demand sun events, the sun members only requirement could become more popular with organisers, a UK could implement a system where only members who were logged in could see certain events, but this would also inconvenience members of overseas audax organisations which shouldn't be the case.
Well some reasonable reasons and, some seemingly irrelevant ones as well.
Oh well it would appear that unless a solution is found I doubt I will ever enter. Before whoever it was gets busy in his keyboard asking about time etc, I would suggest you re read your comments, I know my responses / posts on Facebook do sometimes appear harsh however, yours are simply unnecessary and, not conciliatory. Systems are in place to enable easy and, fast online entry, if there is a small fee I'm willing to pay it however, what seems to be in place here is some kind of selection process, I have no confidence that if I did post my entry in I'd get a place as, it would appear the organiser is applying filters.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #120 on: 24 September, 2017, 01:56:05 pm »
Not sure what you are on about, but just to reiterate, it took me 5 minutes to put together my "application pack" and post it. I got a place. It wasn't very difficult.

If you want to try something difficult... you might want to have a go at entering the Eroica in Tuscany... 'though you might like the idea of being assigned your own "click day"

« Reply #121 on: 24 September, 2017, 03:56:21 pm »
I don't have a cheque book, I don't know anyone who does have a cheque book. Paypal is not the only option, what about BACS, bitcoin, Monzo? Cheques are not free - ok they might be free to you, but they are incredibly expensive to print and process, that is not done by banks altruistically it's paid for by all of us. 3% of a lot of money adds up to a large amount, obviously, but it's still only 3% and 3% is not going to make or break anything either way. And it's even less when you factor in the cost of a C5 envelope, a stamp, running a printer...
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #122 on: 24 September, 2017, 04:36:59 pm »
Have you considered  https://business.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/91/~/sending-valuables%2C-money-%26-jewellery-in-the-uk ?
An email to the organiser about your predicament may be useful.
Regarding your comment about filtering entries I don't believe this is the case, aside from the condition stated on the event page "Event will be oversubscribed so: - entries accepted only from full AUK club members". I do t think it's fair on the organiser to imply he is filtering entries in any other way.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #123 on: 24 September, 2017, 05:37:32 pm »
I don't have a cheque book, I don't know anyone who does have a cheque book. Paypal is not the only option, what about BACS, bitcoin, Monzo? Cheques are not free - ok they might be free to you, but they are incredibly expensive to print and process, that is not done by banks altruistically it's paid for by all of us. 3% of a lot of money adds up to a large amount, obviously, but it's still only 3% and 3% is not going to make or break anything either way. And it's even less when you factor in the cost of a C5 envelope, a stamp, running a printer...

You can request a chequebook to your bank... it might take a couple of days to get one... of course you had/have months to send your registration form. I don't think altruism is in the Banking dictionary... if they give them away for free it's because it would cost them more to charge. You pay for the stamps, but you would have to pay for them in the entry fee if you didn't, same for the envelopes... I would assume most people use C5 envelopes at their workplace? Well, I did.
Pre-addressed and stamped envelopes save time. Writing 200 addresses twice can be a PITA, would you volunteer to do it, in exchange for a paypal entry?
It seems to me you can't be bothered, which in turn it means you are not really that interested, which is (I think) one of the reasons the organiser does it this way.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #124 on: 24 September, 2017, 06:01:44 pm »

I would assume most people use C5 envelopes at their workplace? Well, I did.
Pre-addressed and stamped envelopes save time. Writing 200 addresses twice can be a PITA, would you volunteer to do it, in exchange for a paypal entry?
It seems to me you can't be bothered, which in turn it means you are not really that interested, which is (I think) one of the reasons the organiser does it this way.
not everyone works in an office, last year I bought a pack of c5 envelopes, which was a pain buta hoope well worth jumping through to be able to ride the best audax I have ridden which sort of backs up your point about being bothered.

I think if I was mailing 200 people whose addresses I had electronically, I would be printing labels, not handwriting them all. And as i recall only the card was sent back so only one envelope was really needed contrary to the statement on the page. Again a short email to the organiser resolved this.