Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134540 times)

simonp

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #150 on: 25 September, 2017, 09:07:06 pm »
BCM finishing via the Gospel Pass? As if the Staylittle road wasn’t sufficiently brutal.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #151 on: 25 September, 2017, 11:06:45 pm »
I think there may be  a tolerance for under0distance BRMs?
[ive ridden a French 200 that was 199 by routesheet]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #152 on: 26 September, 2017, 12:32:08 am »
I think there may be  a tolerance for under0distance BRMs?
[ive ridden a French 200 that was 199 by routesheet]

I believe there's an official tolerance for underdistance BRMs, as well as an AUK understanding about grandfather rights for historic routes that don't quite meet current measurement standards.

The acronym for both of these is
(click to show/hide)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #153 on: 26 September, 2017, 01:38:20 am »
The first rule of Fight Club under-distance routes is "You do not talk about..."
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #154 on: 26 September, 2017, 05:46:27 am »
BCM finishing via the Gospel Pass? As if the Staylittle road wasn’t sufficiently brutal.

The Gospel pass is not so bad... well, maybe after 500 km it is...  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #155 on: 26 September, 2017, 09:21:09 am »

The Gospel pass is not so bad... well, maybe after 500 km it is...  ::-)

Yurbut I’m usually on fixed. Not that I’m gonna be riding next year. Other fish to fry.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #156 on: 26 September, 2017, 09:56:06 am »
Cabin fever season has arrived early this year.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #157 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:42:45 pm »
As I booked a bed at Greenman Backpackers in Chepstow Mick (one of the owners) remarked
"If you know of any other cyclists needing accommodation, please ask  them to book as early as possible as May is usually very busy".

I'll assume the same goes for other accommodation in Chepstow.

« Reply #158 on: 27 September, 2017, 03:56:50 pm »
I'll assume the same goes for other accommodation in Chepstow.

Usually because there's other things happening in Cardiff
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #159 on: 02 October, 2017, 04:57:53 pm »
Has anyone used ones of the Snowdonia youth hostels to sleep in. I really wanted a sleep before I got back to Kings. I wondered how they'd  would be about somebody turning up 2am

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #160 on: 02 October, 2017, 05:21:00 pm »
Has anyone used ones of the Snowdonia youth hostels to sleep in. I really wanted a sleep before I got back to Kings. I wondered how they'd  would be about somebody turning up 2am

I remember some discussion about this last year. I think the conclusion was they would be closed.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #161 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:15:37 pm »

I remember some discussion about this last year. I think the conclusion was they would be closed.

Yes, that's my recollection too. (It also fits with my experiences of other YHAs - they do often have key-code entry, but you have to checkin at a "civilised" hour first.)

The relatively late sleep-stop [I got there about 4am on my first attempt] is an inherent problem for FV riders on the BCM; many experienced riders have napped on the veranda of the Snowdon Ranger YHA, or on the benches at the Transfwnynynyyd junction bus shelter.

In fact, deployment of a warm bivvy bag on that stretch might be advantageous - thus avoiding bed shortages at Kings.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #162 on: 02 October, 2017, 07:23:44 pm »
I slept under a caravan on a garage forecourt on BCM2016. When I say slept, I mean "slept". By some way the least refreshing "sleep" I have ever had.
Eddington Number = 132

whosatthewheel

« Reply #163 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:12:17 pm »

In fact, deployment of a warm bivvy bag...

Any tip for a good one?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #164 on: 02 October, 2017, 08:20:02 pm »
Remembering that if you stop before kings you need to start early enough to control there by about 7:30.

« Reply #165 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:00:02 pm »

Yes, that's my recollection too. (It also fits with my experiences of other YHAs - they do often have key-code entry, but you have to checkin at a "civilised" hour first.)

Correct - we were the ones who tried to use the Snowdon YHA last year (and in fact we provisionally booked a room online in December on the basis it might be possible).  When we eventually managed to speak to someone (in January), he said we had to book in by (I think?) 10:30pm.  He would not even let someone we knew who lived nearby book in for us as they had to see our ID.

It was a bit disheartening to have to cycle past it sometime past midnight in the heavy rain and against the strong wind seeing the lights were still on and people were inside sitting in the dry.

So we ended up just getting a couple of hours sleep at the Dolgellau control (and actually after a while did not feel too bad on the Sunday).

« Reply #166 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:32:53 pm »
I guess you could check in on the way to Menai and get the code to get in on the way back, but WycombeWheeler is right - if you're aiming to still be in Snowdonia at 2am you will be pushing it to get more than an hour or so of sleep and not be out of time.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #167 on: 02 October, 2017, 09:56:14 pm »
I guess you could check in on the way to Menai and get the code to get in on the way back, but WycombeWheeler is right - if you're aiming to still be in Snowdonia at 2am you will be pushing it to get more than an hour or so of sleep and not be out of time.
Only places passed in both directions are dolgellau and penrhyndeudraeth. I stopped at Penrhyndeudraeth. I left my BnB at 05:50 and arrived at kings at 07:30. Official closing time was 08.24 so there was time in hand but they were closing down.

Not that they were closing early but the volunteers who had been working all night were packing up ready to leave. Arriving later would still be in time but would either mean no breakfast or keeping the volunteers back.

1 hour 40 minutes doesn't sound all that quick for the 24 miles but with the hills and the headwind it could wasilybtake longer.

« Reply #168 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:11:27 am »
Yes, I was thinking that you would modify the route, giving the same or similar out-and-back. Not something I would do but it's a free route, and I hear quite a few people do the Northern loop in the opposite direction to the route sheet.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #169 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:25:08 am »
Yes, I was thinking that you would modify the route, giving the same or similar out-and-back. Not something I would do but it's a free route, and I hear quite a few people do the Northern loop in the opposite direction to the route sheet.
Well you must go over llanberis at least once due to info control. Glad I didn't go over twice last year, cold wet and dark is not ideal for mountain passes.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #170 on: 03 October, 2017, 08:37:37 am »

... hence missing Pete's eats opening hours... sacrilege!

« Reply #171 on: 03 October, 2017, 09:38:26 am »
What time do they close on a Saturday?
As a (former) climber i've sometimes been tempted to make the minor diversion to see if they are still open - perhaps doubtful at the time I'm passing, and then thought, no, press on to free jacket potatoes at Menai

whosatthewheel

« Reply #172 on: 03 October, 2017, 10:45:49 am »
What time do they close on a Saturday?
As a (former) climber i've sometimes been tempted to make the minor diversion to see if they are still open - perhaps doubtful at the time I'm passing, and then thought, no, press on to free jacket potatoes at Menai

8 PM

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #173 on: 04 October, 2017, 06:45:29 pm »
Quote from: Ritchie Tout
for info, only 10 places left for Bryan Chapman 600 in 2018 as at 4 October and event entries will close this weekend so earlier than shown in the AUK calendar

http://forum.audax.uk/index.php?topic=1368.msg11539;topicseen#msg11539
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #174 on: 08 October, 2017, 08:21:05 am »
Entries now closed! New cheque book just arrived from the bank  :-[