Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134502 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #300 on: 11 May, 2018, 10:46:17 am »
Also, separate from Fibrefix...

To remove the cassette you need "non portable" tools... unless you are happy to carry around a chain whip, a large and heavy adjustable spanner and a lockring adapter.

There are portable tools to do this: http://www.woollypigs.com/2011/10/meet-the-hypercracker/

If you use tubeless tyres, you can never replace a spoke during a ride

You replace the spoke and then fit an inner tube.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #301 on: 11 May, 2018, 10:52:13 am »
, that you have spares for things like...  spokes ...

90% of spoke breakages occur on the rear wheel. If you don't remove the cassette, then you cannot replace spokes on the drive side and even those on the other side are extremely hard to route with the cassette on. To remove the cassette you need "non portable" tools... unless you are happy to carry around a chain whip, a large and heavy adjustable spanner and a lockring adapter.
If you use tubeless tyres, you can never replace a spoke during a ride, regardless of whether it is front or rear.

In essence, in most cases it turns out to be a waste of time

None of this is necessary if you have a FiberFix emergency replacement spoke.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/spokes/fiber-fix-emergency-replacement-spoke/?geoc=US

Lol. I'm so suggestable. Just ordered one. Thank you for the suggestion.

In the last two events I've taken part in, I suffered split tyres, once on an aged tyre that I should have known better, and the second on a new tyre which just gave up in the face of potholes I failed to miss while riding in a group. I have learnt my lesson. I have a spare tyre. I always carried a tyre boot but it didn't help in either situation. I hope to now be carrying a spare tyre and never need it.

I often wondered why some audaxers seemed to have more luggage than others. It seems they've been carrying experience all this time.

« Reply #302 on: 11 May, 2018, 12:09:00 pm »
In 35 years of cycling I've broken a spoke twice. Ive never had a tyre fail so far, and I can't remember the last time I needed to take out a multi tool out of the saddlepack.

There is no way I'm lugging about spares I'll need maybe once every 50 years. If something happens that can't be fixed with a multi tool or a crisp packet so be it.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #303 on: 11 May, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »
Also, separate from Fibrefix...

To remove the cassette you need "non portable" tools... unless you are happy to carry around a chain whip, a large and heavy adjustable spanner and a lockring adapter.

There are portable tools to do this: http://www.woollypigs.com/2011/10/meet-the-hypercracker/

If you use tubeless tyres, you can never replace a spoke during a ride

You replace the spoke and then fit an inner tube.

Neat tool, does it work with highly torqued lockrings?
Personally I think it's just easier to stick to 32 or 36 spoked wheels at the rear and deal with a broken spoke. A friend did Paris-Roubaix (pretty much the all route) on 31 spokes. If you can do Arenberg on 31 spokes, you can probably do the all BCM on 31 spokes.

As for tubeless... yes, IF your tyre is loose enough to allow you to fit an inner tube and IF your tubeless tape is still usable after you have removed it... otherwise you need to carry spare rim tape and the list of spares for all occurrencies begins to become endless

« Reply #304 on: 11 May, 2018, 12:28:37 pm »
On my first BCM in 2015 a bad gear change and badly adjusted rear mech coming into the bottom of the road up to the Youth Hostel (following advice about getting in the lowest gear and doing it badly) resulted in my chain getting jammed between the cassette and spokes. The back wheel locked up and I could smell burning rubber, the chain was jammed in their very solidly and would not move. I shouldered the bike and walked up to the youth hostel where luckily for me they had a reasonably comprehensive tool kit and while I slept the cassette was removed and the chain was freed.

I used my spare tyre as the current one was worn right through from the 'skid' and I set off with the advice to go carefully due to the damage the chain had done to the spokes. I stopped a few times between Dolgellau and the top of the climb through Cross Foxes to make adjustments and ended up with 3 quick links in the chain replacing bent original links....luckily I always carried 2.

About 15km before Aberhafesp a spoke went, I was on 36 spoke Open Pros so a bit of truing and releasing the brake caliper got be back on the road and with a bit of extra attention for potholes through the lanes towards Weobly I managed to get back to Chepstow.

I still carry a spare tyre on rides over 200k and I still have a Carradice with loads of bits and pieces that I might never need but being an 18 stone lump they make sod all difference to me.

I was lucky that they had that tool kit at Dolgellau, it saved a bit of head scratching and frustration!

« Reply #305 on: 11 May, 2018, 02:02:48 pm »
I confess to carrying both a Fibrefix and spare spokes & NBT2 (as Hypercrackers no longer obtainable).  NBT 2 only ever used in anger the once, on my first BCM at Kings, where despite a comprehensive selection of tools and spare spokes, there was on that on occasion no other way of removing cassette - on another rider's bike.   And this despite fact that I've never broken a spoke on my own 32/36 spoke hand built wheels.

And a spare tyre, because riding companion suffered a catastrophic blow-out on another welsh 600 some years ago.  Never deployed since of course !
Spare cables, chainlinks, all sorts of bits as well as a couple of tubes.  Beanie, spare gloves, spare socks, buff are always there because I can never be bothered to take them out.  Longer rides like the BCM I add a lightweight bivi bag - again only used once, on a BCM, by another rider.

Yes I carry perhaps a couple of kgs more kit than most, but that's not going to make the difference between success or failure.  I'm just happier knowing that for about 99% of all mechanicals I have at least one, if not two, solutions at my disposal.

« Reply #306 on: 11 May, 2018, 08:02:38 pm »
A simple rigid spare spoke for the drive-side is made from a longer spoke with the elbow cut off.  Bend a new elbow at the correct length, and leave about 7 to 10mm beyond. 

To replace a broken spoke, simply unscrew/remove the broken one. Fit the replacement to the hub and bend the end down flush against the flange.  Insert the other end into the nipple and tighten until the wheel is true.  For normal road-rims it isn't even necessary to remove the tyre. 

Having said that, I build my own wheels and haven't had a spoke break in well over ten years*.

*Hostage to fortune — I know.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #307 on: 12 May, 2018, 08:22:29 pm »
I have broken a rear spoke on the BCM

I have 36h rear wheels and I just carried on riding

On day two after the massive descent where I usually do 80kph I did stop and adjust the spokes a bit

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #308 on: 12 May, 2018, 11:51:26 pm »
I've not done the Bryan Chapman but have broken a spoke on a long Audax.

Used spoke key to adjust wheel so brake didn't rub and carried on.

36 spoke wheels ftw!

I must confess to never having changed a spoke...

whosatthewheel

« Reply #309 on: 13 May, 2018, 11:20:01 am »
Moving away from spokes...

feeling 50/50 at the moment... 50% of me thinks I am still too tired from my recent 300 HoE and 400 LWL and the other 50% thinks "just show up on the day and see how things go"... worse come to worst I could have an extended sleep at King's and turn into a very relaxed 400.
It seems a very different ride from either of the above... flowing main roads rather than lanes... I find lanes very tiring!

We all agree that DNF is better than DNS?  :thumbsup:

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #310 on: 13 May, 2018, 12:29:07 pm »
Moving away from spokes...

feeling 50/50 at the moment... 50% of me thinks I am still too tired from my recent 300 HoE and 400 LWL and the other 50% thinks "just show up on the day and see how things go"... worse come to worst I could have an extended sleep at King's and turn into a very relaxed 400.
It seems a very different ride from either of the above... flowing main roads rather than lanes... I find lanes very tiring!

We all agree that DNF is better than DNS?  :thumbsup:
it's quite common to do LWL and then BCM 2 weeks later, I think its a good training ride with enough time to rest in between, as long as you don't overdo it in the meantime. It sounds like you haven't ridden BCM before, don't miss the chance it really is a spectacular ride. I honestly don't think it is hard as the statistics on distance and climbing make it seem.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

whosatthewheel

« Reply #311 on: 13 May, 2018, 12:35:29 pm »
It sounds like you haven't ridden BCM before, don't miss the chance it really is a spectacular ride. I honestly don't think it is hard as the statistics on distance and climbing make it seem.

I seem to have an affinity with Welsh roads... I think it's down to generally better road surface and longer climbs with longer descents and flat sections.
I seem to struggle no end with the constant punchy up and down of riding on battered English lanes

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #312 on: 13 May, 2018, 03:36:27 pm »
Just turn up and ride

If you can do a 400 you can do the BCM

« Reply #313 on: 13 May, 2018, 05:40:42 pm »
I've done Brevet Cymru 400 followed by BCM on several occasions.  Two weeks is about the right gap IMO if you are not beating yourself up between the two.  Three weeks might be better if you are an old 'un, but that's not what decided me on a change this year.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #314 on: 13 May, 2018, 05:48:35 pm »
Quick question for all those knowledgeable on best use of Kings. Was planning on using my bag drop at Kings to pick up colder weather clothes on the first visit and change back into Springs clothes on the second visit seeing as I will be up Snowdonia in the small hours. Is that the way to go?

Secondly was going to want to shower and change shorts etc on 2nd visit to prepare for day two. Do I need to bring a towel etc?

The roads we are on, are they in the main quiet back roads or looking at some of the route is a good proportion main road due to the geography of Wales and being the only way of getting across the principality?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #315 on: 13 May, 2018, 05:58:30 pm »
Until Penrhyndeudraeth mostly main roads but they aren't too bad at all.

Yes, you need a towel. A change of shorts, jersey and mitts is always nice for the second day.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #316 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:17:18 pm »
A simple rigid spare spoke for the drive-side is made from a longer spoke with the elbow cut off.  Bend a new elbow at the correct length, and leave about 7 to 10mm beyond. 

To replace a broken spoke, simply unscrew/remove the broken one. Fit the replacement to the hub and bend the end down flush against the flange.  Insert the other end into the nipple and tighten until the wheel is true.  For normal road-rims it isn't even necessary to remove the tyre. 

Having said that, I build my own wheels and haven't had a spoke break in well over ten years*.

*Hostage to fortune — I know.

That's an excellent idea, thankyou for sharing!

« Reply #317 on: 13 May, 2018, 06:56:46 pm »
The roads we are on, are they in the main quiet back roads or looking at some of the route is a good proportion main road due to the geography of Wales and being the only way of getting across the principality?
You've been looking at the map again. Soon the geography of Wales will be familiar.
Roughly 420k is on A roads and 170k is on B roads or good mostly widish minor roads (the last eg: Machynlleth mountain road after Staylittle, 'back road' into Boughrood going south on the east side of the Wye valley (opposite the A470 northbound route)). And the Barmouth foot/cycle bridge.
There are some bonus B and minor road options eg: north of Builth Wells (on the 'old A road'), south and NW of Llanidloes, going through Dolgellau, south of Newtown - the climb up to Dolfor . Personally, going north from Bronllys last year, rather than banging up the A470, I crossed the valley to Boughrood and took the (quiet almost no traffic) back road (mentioned above) up to Builth Wells. It's 1km longer.

« Reply #318 on: 13 May, 2018, 07:34:57 pm »
Four of us rode a gentle, three-day version (very roughly) of the route a week or so ago.  Two nights' B&B at Dolgellau and good food and beer made it a pleasantly civilised trio of 200s.

See you all at Dolgellau.

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #319 on: 13 May, 2018, 08:08:43 pm »
oohh just thought of another thing. Is there food at the start? I will miss out on my breakfast at the b+b I am staying at. Seems to be no McDs in Chepstow so are there any breakfast options?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

whosatthewheel

« Reply #320 on: 14 May, 2018, 06:08:47 am »
oohh just thought of another thing. Is there food at the start? I will miss out on my breakfast at the b+b I am staying at. Seems to be no McDs in Chepstow so are there any breakfast options?

I've never been to an Audax where there wasn't food at the start...

« Reply #321 on: 14 May, 2018, 06:40:41 am »

I've never been to an Audax where there wasn't food at the start...

The Buzzard
Eddington Number = 132

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #322 on: 14 May, 2018, 08:54:25 am »
, that you have spares for things like...  spokes ...

90% of spoke breakages occur on the rear wheel. If you don't remove the cassette, then you cannot replace spokes on the drive side and even those on the other side are extremely hard to route with the cassette on. To remove the cassette you need "non portable" tools... unless you are happy to carry around a chain whip, a large and heavy adjustable spanner and a lockring adapter.
If you use tubeless tyres, you can never replace a spoke during a ride, regardless of whether it is front or rear.

In essence, in most cases it turns out to be a waste of time

Sorry - that's wrong, if you are running tubeless you can replace the spoke during a ride (subject to which spoke of course, but that might apply to any flavour of wheel).

As long as the spoke nipple has not disappeared in to the rim, you can remove the broken parts and screw in to the original nipple.  No need to remove tyre / rim tape / sealant .  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

whosatthewheel

« Reply #323 on: 14 May, 2018, 09:17:14 am »

As long as the spoke nipple has not disappeared in to the rim, you can remove the broken parts and screw in to the original nipple.  No need to remove tyre / rim tape / sealant .  :thumbsup:

Good luck with that...  :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #324 on: 14 May, 2018, 09:19:41 am »
Anyone know the drop bag arrangements? Handover at sign-in with £3 or pre-book?