Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135804 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #350 on: 15 May, 2018, 05:34:26 pm »
That bit's OK.  There's a cycle lane around the roundabout and once you're past the M5 the A38 is OK for riding.

You could go N to the B4057 and then take the Old Gloucester Road to Gaunt's Earthcott and over to Tockington if you wanted to avoid it.

Cheers Chris.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #351 on: 15 May, 2018, 05:57:41 pm »
There's a cycle path to go anticlockwise at the M48 RAB just before the bridge too.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #352 on: 16 May, 2018, 07:09:32 am »
That bit's OK.  There's a cycle lane around the roundabout and once you're past the M5 the A38 is OK for riding.

You could go N to the B4057 and then take the Old Gloucester Road to Gaunt's Earthcott and over to Tockington if you wanted to avoid it.

Cheers Chris.

This is the track I have used for a few years. Avoids the worst of the main roads.

http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/routes2/users/SteveFerry/SevernViewTL

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #353 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:25:55 am »
In your experience, do the cafes at the first two controls take cards or cash only?

AND, since the first cafe' is "recepeit from the till" rather than stamp on the card, nobody is stopping me from going to the garage/supermarket instead if there is a big queue, right?

« Reply #354 on: 16 May, 2018, 08:34:54 am »
I can't make it, and have a Travelodge booked at Severn View on Friday. It's non refundable, but if someone wants to chip me some money for it, that'd be lovely.

DM me if interested.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

« Reply #355 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:08:55 am »
In your experience, do the cafes at the first two controls take cards or cash only?

AND, since the first cafe' is "receipt from the till" rather than stamp on the card, nobody is stopping me from going to the garage/supermarket instead if there is a big queue, right?
In previous years Honey Cafe (first control) have happily given receipts for £0.01 even if you don't buy anything, but they also set up a counter especially for those wanting quick service of just a hot drink and no food.
I confess I took the penny receipt last year, but then detoured to give them my custom in more relaxed fashion on the way south.
They do take cards - but may have a minimum charge.

Not sure about Llanidloes, cash is probably easier if you are in the 'bulge'.  Last year they were set up for quick service in the back yard of a limited selection of items, but I doubt they'll have card machine out there, even if they can accept them inside.   

whosatthewheel

« Reply #356 on: 16 May, 2018, 09:37:22 am »
Thanks

simonp

« Reply #357 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:11:20 am »

Cheers Chris.

The road has recently been upgraded. More lanes, in particular southbound it’s up to 6 lanes. The northbound cycle path is currently closed for improvements so you have to use the road on the roundabout or I’ve seen some people walking on the verge. The whole area gets very congested around 5-6pm.

I work within walking distance so can take some pics of the works and you can make an informed decision. The A38/Aztec West roundabout gained some ped/cycle crossings as part of the upgrade. The lane markings on that roundabout are a confusing mess so you might want to use those crossings to get onto the A38. Alternatively use the quieter route suggested upthread.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #358 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:15:21 am »
It is a traffic light controlled roundabout, so you won't have cars coming off the motorway onto the a38 at 70moh failing to give way to you.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #359 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:19:19 am »

AND, since the first cafe' is "recepeit from the till" rather than stamp on the card, nobody is stopping me from going to the garage/supermarket instead if there is a big queue, right?
With your urgency, you'll be there (at the Honey Cafe) before there's any queue. But if you prefer, having turned off the main road there, you could head into the village 200m and patronise the garage shop there (opens at 7am).
At Llanidloes (second control) it's a 'normal' town with several options. Last year I had spent 15 minutes in Rhayader replacing a parted FD cable so the Coffeebean Cafe was busy when I arrived. I got a pasty and milk at the Spar shop just north of the Great Oak St/Long Bridge St junction (imm on right).

whosatthewheel

« Reply #360 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:40:36 am »

With your urgency, you'll be there (at the Honey Cafe) before there's any queue.

LOL...  ;D

These days there is always someone at the front pushing > 30 km/h  so there might well be a queue by the time I get there

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #361 on: 16 May, 2018, 10:54:22 am »

With your urgency, you'll be there (at the Honey Cafe) before there's any queue.

LOL...  ;D

These days there is always someone at the front pushing > 30 km/h  so there might well be a queue by the time I get there
Last year there was a reasonable group pushing 30kmh, probably about 20. But there was a tailwind on saturday.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #362 on: 16 May, 2018, 11:06:19 am »
At Llanidloes (second control) it's a 'normal' town with several options. Last year I had spent 15 minutes in Rhayader replacing a parted FD cable so the Coffeebean Cafe was busy when I arrived. I got a pasty and milk at the Spar shop just north of the Great Oak St/Long Bridge St junction (imm on right).

There's also a good little cafe on the same side as the official control but about 30 yards "before" it as you approach.  A few us dived in there last year, as the Coffeebean Cafe was packed, and had a very good (but unhurried) lunch.  The owner said that if he'd known the ride was coming through he'd have brought in extra staff and tried to offer a faster turnaround.

As for the Honey Cafe, I'd strongly suggest cash. They pull out all the stops to get as many riders though as quickly as possible and I can't imagine having to fiddle around with card machines would be helpful.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #363 on: 16 May, 2018, 11:11:21 am »

As for the Honey Cafe, I'd strongly suggest cash. They pull out all the stops to get as many riders though as quickly as possible and I can't imagine having to fiddle around with card machines would be helpful.

In theory contactless is supposed to be quicker, rather than slower, but I see what you mean

simonp

« Reply #364 on: 16 May, 2018, 11:16:52 am »

There's also a good little cafe on the same side as the official control but about 30 yards "before" it as you approach.  A few us dived in there last year, as the Coffeebean Cafe was packed, and had a very good (but unhurried) lunch.  The owner said that if he'd known the ride was coming through he'd have brought in extra staff and tried to offer a faster turnaround.

I can just imagine the joy of having to give change to over 100 cyclists.

« Reply #365 on: 16 May, 2018, 11:30:58 am »
We used the Great Oak Café in Llanidloes 2 years ago and the food was brilliant. I am not vegetarian but this place nearly convinced me it was the way to go!

It's not far up the street from the Coffee Bean Café which was also rammed when we got there.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #366 on: 16 May, 2018, 12:01:07 pm »
I am not vegetarian but this place nearly convinced me it was the way to go!

Only if you want to avoid cardiovascular disease, diabetes and most forms of cancer... otherwise meat is fine...  ;D

Mind you, cheese is not much better...

On a related note, the local SPAR seems to have all the amenitites and healthy nutrition an Audaxer might wish for, with an integrated Subway franchise and Costa self service machine

« Reply #367 on: 16 May, 2018, 12:15:06 pm »
If you prefer to feel like an extra in a David Lynch movie you could always try the Hafren Bistro, round the corner from the Great Oak.

You may never leave in the form in which you entered,  instead appearing as a principal ingredient in the 'homemade' lasagne.

« Reply #368 on: 16 May, 2018, 12:35:57 pm »
That cafe/bistro closed recently. However I've spoken to the Great Oak Cafe which Tippers Kiwi says he used last year (a few metres further on from the Coffeebean on the same side) and they now know they may get some additional cycling custom (veg veg).

whosatthewheel

« Reply #369 on: 16 May, 2018, 12:42:32 pm »
If you prefer to feel like an extra in a David Lynch movie you could always try the Hafren Bistro, round the corner from the Great Oak.

You may never leave in the form in which you entered,  instead appearing as a principal ingredient in the 'homemade' lasagne.

Can't be worse than "l'Effet du Boef" bistro in Bethune, where I was served a cassoulet made with Frankfurters...  :-X  Admittedly my fault for ordering a dish completely out of context

« Reply #370 on: 16 May, 2018, 01:33:55 pm »
I've just sorted my GPX for the route. I've added a few detours away from the A-roads on the daytime sections. Doesn't add any distance, but gives me about 350m more climbing. For some enjoyment on rural lanes, I'll take that.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #371 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:36:18 pm »
you could always try the Hafren Bistro
This is the one that has closed, to which I referred a little earlier. One meat replacement episode too far, perhaps.
The Great Oak vegan maitre d' was not complementary and I detected a hint of 'hauteur' in her tone as she confirmed its demise.

« Reply #372 on: 16 May, 2018, 03:49:25 pm »
you could always try the Hafren Bistro
This is the one that has closed, to which I referred a little earlier. One meat replacement episode too far, perhaps.
The Great Oak vegan maitre d' was not complementary and I detected a hint of 'hauteur' in her tone as she confirmed its demise.

Ah I see.  That, at least, removes the temptation of a ghoulish visit, at the expense of eating something decent and not made of human.

It's a shame it has closed. It was worth visiting just the once, for the experience.

By the way, everyone, the Coop at Machynlleth does sushi.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #373 on: 17 May, 2018, 02:59:45 pm »
Had a 24h virus starting Tuesday night.  Feel pretty much ok now so I'm going to the start on Saturday.  But we'll see what happens

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #374 on: 17 May, 2018, 03:59:12 pm »
ok just seen the national weekend weather forecast. It says daytime temperatures hot, 20/21C in England and Wales, and dry. So if it stays like that how cold could it be on the overnight stretch out and back to Kings at altitude? Still close to freezing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk