Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135878 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #375 on: 17 May, 2018, 04:13:10 pm »
Take layers and full finger gloves. I've known it to be baking on the ride up, sleeting on the descent from Llanberis, and baking again heading south the next day.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #376 on: 17 May, 2018, 04:14:13 pm »
Yes it will be cold and colder on the long descent to dolgellau.. Iim taking 4layers and winter gloves just for this section.

« Reply #377 on: 17 May, 2018, 04:21:23 pm »
Agreed with both of the above. Both times I have been baking and wishing I could stop at the pub along the coast road past Barmouth and shivering my bits off coming back to Kings. I think a combination of a hot day and being very tired from the extra hills (for us flatlanders) makes the cold worse as you get close to a sleep stop.

« Reply #378 on: 17 May, 2018, 05:45:24 pm »
ok just seen the national weekend weather forecast. It says daytime temperatures hot, 20/21C in England and Wales, and dry. So if it stays like that how cold could it be on the overnight stretch out and back to Kings at altitude? Still close to freezing?
Lot of pessimism around. Forecast is to stay dry and warm. Obviously it's colder at night but see these two sites which broadly agree: minimum 6 degrees overnight at Beddgelert/Trawsfynydd. Layer up and jacket and cap on for the downhill towards Dolgellau; and long fingered gloves.
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/beddgelert
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Trawsfynydd/
GWS Vorsprung

« Reply #379 on: 17 May, 2018, 06:02:41 pm »
Never assume that it will be dry in Snowdonia

« Reply #380 on: 17 May, 2018, 06:06:08 pm »
ok just seen the national weekend weather forecast. It says daytime temperatures hot, 20/21C in England and Wales, and dry. So if it stays like that how cold could it be on the overnight stretch out and back to Kings at altitude? Still close to freezing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking ahead to the weather, the weekend looks basically dry.  Haven't seen temps as high as you suggest here. Mid teens C in North Wales...

Snowdonia Early hours of Sunday is 8 degrees C, with a light wind from the South (so this may be a headwind if you're coming back).

We aren't anything like as high as Snowdonia here BUT the difference between daytime and night time temps recently means we've had heavy dews and sometimes early mist - which feels chilly because it's damp.

I also note that the overnight temps this weekend  for Snowdon are the same as for Caernarfon - this seems therefore to be an area forecast - that doesn't necessarily take account of the fact that one is at sea level and the other considerably above.

So...on this basis, I would expect a max of  8 degrees but be prepared for temps which are considerably lower in places. Previously riders have reported having to stop, to get feeling back in their hands early on Sunday.

As you will likely be tired by this time on the event, take this into account.  If for any reason you have to stop and the weather is damp and you are sweaty, you will chill very quickly. So do think carefully about your kit and if you can get your hands on one at this stage, do bring a foil blanket. If you haven't ridden this event before you may be unaware of how remote some of teh places you're passing through are. having a snack bar or two with you before you leave the bright lights on the way home may be a smart move.

It will be quite dark this weekend - it's new moon - and it's only reaching 1st quarter on Tuesday.  Should get a beautiful view of the stars as you head back into the mountains away from Caernarfon /Bangor.

A reminder too - don't drink "wild" untreated water from streams, reservoirs etc.  It looks lovely, but I am advised that you have a highish chance of catching cryptospiridion from it - which I can assure you would be inconvenient

Apart from  that PLEASE make sure whatever you wear enables you to be seen in the dark - and when under trees in the daylight.  Black makes you look so rock face and hedgerow blend-in-with-the-scenery.  High vis may not be trendy - but it's better than dead. You aren't part of a camoflaged commando force exercise - you're cyclists! Be seen! Be proud!

« Reply #381 on: 17 May, 2018, 06:51:44 pm »

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #382 on: 17 May, 2018, 07:54:56 pm »
On the brevet cymru it was around 20c daytime peak but start at 6am and finish at3am were about 5c and misty.

Knee warmers* jacket and hat was sufficient.
*would have been sufficient if I had them.

I put my jacket on over my evening gillet, but that got too warm quickly on the climbs.

Wish I was on this ride.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #383 on: 17 May, 2018, 08:13:36 pm »
I'll be out on a volunteer's ride of the TINAT 600 route this weekend which crosses and travels along the BCM route at times. So thanks for the weather related chat, it reminds me to pack an extra layer for my hands. And it's good to know I won't be out on the Welsh roads alone overnight.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

« Reply #384 on: 17 May, 2018, 08:20:02 pm »
I'll be out for an out and back to Dolgellau, with possible ice cream in Bedgellert if time permits. Several routes in mind but  may bump into some of you at some point

Redlight

« Reply #385 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:33:18 pm »
You aren't part of a camoflaged commando force exercise - you're cyclists! Be seen! Be proud!

But if you have a rear light bright enough to land aircraft by, please don't set it to flashing mode.

There was someone on last year's ride who overtook me on the road back out of Menai and then rode about 20 ft in front at exactly the same pace. His light was so bright that it hurt my eyes and the flashing made me feel sick.  In the end, I had to pull over and let him get far enough ahead that I couldn't see him.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #386 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:04:18 am »
You aren't part of a camoflaged commando force exercise - you're cyclists! Be seen! Be proud!

But if you have a rear light bright enough to land aircraft by, please don't set it to flashing mode.

There was someone on last year's ride who overtook me on the road back out of Menai and then rode about 20 ft in front at exactly the same pace. His light was so bright that it hurt my eyes and the flashing made me feel sick.  In the end, I had to pull over and let him get far enough ahead that I couldn't see him.

Hi, I could not agree more. The current fad for using super high power rear LEDs and then in flashing mode neither aids safety or befriends other cyclists. This is for two reasons, firstly you cannot judge the distance to a flashing object and secondly because when you drive people steer with their eyes, you go where you are looking, so when distracted by a mega bright rear light the car will move closer. I will be using my trusty Smart 7 led lights that I consider to be well bright enough.

A few years ago on this ride I stopped at the side of the road for a few minutes to let a cyclist get away who had a 3w randomly flashing rear light. It distracted your attention and I hit a pot hole and while trying to avoid getting my retinas burnt. I also find riding in groups with flashing lights mildly hypnotic.

Brighter is not always better.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #387 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:18:25 am »
And if you insist on a super bright light, even on constant mode, point it down at the road.
A big pool of red light on the road is just as visible to approaching traffic as a pinpoint source of LASER DETH RAYS.

Most of these things, which claim to be visible at up to a mile have a very narrow beam, for cyclists** following close behind the brightness off-boresight is usually at an acceptably low level.

** except for repugnant riders  :demon: 

« Reply #388 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:21:20 am »

Hi, I could not agree more. The current fad for using super high power rear LEDs and then in flashing mode neither aids safety or befriends other cyclists. This is for two reasons, firstly you cannot judge the distance to a flashing object and secondly because when you drive people steer with their eyes, you go where you are looking, so when distracted by a mega bright rear light the car will move closer. I will be using my trusty Smart 7 led lights that I consider to be well bright enough.

A few years ago on this ride I stopped at the side of the road for a few minutes to let a cyclist get away who had a 3w randomly flashing rear light. It distracted your attention and I hit a pot hole and while trying to avoid getting my retinas burnt. I also find riding in groups with flashing lights mildly hypnotic.

Brighter is not always better.

BB
Plus invariably they are clipped to a ‘bikepacking’ style saddle pack and pointing in completely the wrong direction, usually up into the eyes of the rider behind and not back down the road towards the traffic.

Mutter, mutter, bloody kids these days, and they haven’t even got mudguards let alone proper flaps, mutter, mutter....

John

Redlight

« Reply #389 on: 18 May, 2018, 08:57:14 am »

Mutter, mutter, bloody kids these days, and they haven’t even got mudguards let alone proper flaps, mutter, mutter....

This board in a sentence  ;D

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #390 on: 18 May, 2018, 09:11:30 am »
Coming back to overnight weather in north Wales, not sure if I have over reacted but have packed alot of winter gear in my Kings pack to get changed into and out of for the night section. Winter tights,  extra socks, gloves and hat.

would hate to over heat until the sun sets but all the dire warnings  of cold over Snowdonia have been noted.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #391 on: 18 May, 2018, 10:37:09 am »
Coming back to overnight weather in north Wales, not sure if I have over reacted but have packed alot of winter gear in my Kings pack to get changed into and out of for the night section. Winter tights,  extra socks, gloves and hat.

would hate to over heat until the sun sets but all the dire warnings  of cold over Snowdonia have been noted.

Depends what time you plan to get to Kings... my plan is to get there before 4 PM... a bit too early for long tights.

I don't find shorts a problem, unless it gets down to freezing temperatures, which it won't.

« Reply #392 on: 18 May, 2018, 10:58:44 am »
Here's a prediction: if you don winter tights at King's on the way out, you will boil in the balmy afternoon temperature (with a gentle following wind). After dark eg about 10pm, sunset is at 9:15
http://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=53.118033,-4.127549&center=53.1180,-4.1275&z=18&spn=0.00,0.01&dt=20180519222900%2B0100
it will cool but the forecast (multiple sources) is it not to cool that much. Yes, the fast downhills will be cooling, but not too much. There might be precipitation, but not as much as the perspiration implicit in dressing at 4pm for 3am.
Recommendation: Knee or leg warmers, [edit: arm warmers,] and long fingered gloves and maybe toe thingies (or even thin overboots) in the saddlebag and don those at Menai Bridge.
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Trawsfynydd/hour_by_hour.html
Sunrise is 5:11 in Dolgellau.

« Reply #393 on: 18 May, 2018, 11:57:51 am »
The coldest sections for me were the long, fast descent into Dolgellau in the early hours and first light after stopping at Kings. Climbs were very welcome !

I was a bit uncomfortable because of the cold, but it wasn't for long. Packing so many extra layers looks tempting until you're lugging the extra weight and bulk around for the majority of the ride without actually wearing it.

It's a difficult balance to get right. I go with layers - mitts and 2 pairs of gloves, arm & leg warmers & a thin summer jersey - as well as the packable rain jacket I'd take anyway. If it's too cold for that then I'd be worrying about ice !

« Reply #394 on: 18 May, 2018, 12:13:27 pm »
Here's a prediction: if you don winter tights at King's on the way out, you will boil in the balmy afternoon temperature (with a gentle following wind). After dark eg about 10pm, sunset is at 9:15
http://app.photoephemeris.com/?ll=53.118033,-4.127549&center=53.1180,-4.1275&z=18&spn=0.00,0.01&dt=20180519222900%2B0100
it will cool but the forecast (multiple sources) is it not to cool that much. Yes, the fast downhills will be cooling, but not too much. There might be precipitation, but not as much as the perspiration implicit in dressing at 4pm for 3am.
Recommendation: Knee or leg warmers, [edit: arm warmers,] and long fingered gloves and maybe toe thingies (or even thin overboots) in the saddlebag and don those at Menai Bridge.
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Wales/Trawsfynydd/hour_by_hour.html
Sunrise is 5:11 in Dolgellau.

Agree - but those at the tail end may want to layer up before the descent to Llanberis.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #395 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:18:03 pm »
The 2am-5am "deadzone" effect makes 8degC feel like 0degC.

It goes beyond windchill or air temperature, it's your body, in sleep-mode, simply not generating the same amount of heat it would during the day.

I was totally (stupidly) caught out on PBP2015 by this.  "It's August so it can't possibly be cold".  I was freezing to the point where I was wasting time in Sports shops trying to buy bib-longs.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #396 on: 18 May, 2018, 01:53:47 pm »

It goes beyond windchill or air temperature, it's your body, in sleep-mode, simply not generating the same amount of heat it would during the day.

I was totally (stupidly) caught out on PBP2015 by this.  "It's August so it can't possibly be cold".  I was freezing to the point where I was wasting time in Sports shops trying to buy bib-longs.

At 2am? :)

whosatthewheel

« Reply #397 on: 18 May, 2018, 02:00:52 pm »
Can we all agree that the night leg is going to be cold and therefore one needs to be prepared (whatever that means for each individual), without making it sound like another beast from the East is going to hit Dolgellau tomorrow night?

« Reply #398 on: 18 May, 2018, 02:32:15 pm »
those at the tail end may want to layer up before the descent to Llanberis.
On the plus side, after checking out the info control answer at Pen-y-pass before the cracking descent to Llanberis, cloud permitting, the sun will be right in the eyes of those riding down after about 8pm, so have the sunnies ready. And after about 2k (2 minutes descending) watch that right-hander over the bridge then left-hander.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #399 on: 18 May, 2018, 02:38:57 pm »

At 2am? :)

I think I tried to buy them at 2am in one of the controls but, not surprisingly, they were sold out of all thermal gear.  I think it took a lot of people by surprise how cold it got overnight.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.