Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134502 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2019
« Reply #625 on: 20 May, 2019, 07:12:50 pm »
I've now done the BCM four times (2010, 2013 and 2018) and honestly say that this year's edition was the worst for weather I've experienced. I had to wear three layers for most of Saturday, and almost had to wear my waterproof for the last 10 km of Sunday. My arms only come out on display climbing up to Pen y Pass. Were was the wall to wall sunshine from the previous editions?!

Considering what the forecast was like earlier in the week I'm amazed the weather was so kind in the end. I was fearing it was going to be really we; whereas it was pretty perfect.

Apart from that it was a blast. Great company, fantastic views, brilliant controls (thanks everyone) and getting back to Kings for 9:20pm meant no night riding :smug: Sunday was a sociable ride back to Chepstow with Postie, Veloboy & Magnus. Then an easy train journey back to London via Gloucester, during which time Magnus and I managed to drink the First Great Western train dry of beer. (Well they did only had two cans on the service :o).
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #626 on: 20 May, 2019, 07:37:43 pm »
I've now done the BCM four times (2010, 2013 and 2018) and honestly say that this year's edition was the worst for weather I've experienced.

The weather was quite benign at the full value end of things - managed to miss all the rain!

My first time on this and I thought it was great. The controls, the route and the overall organisation were  magnificent.
Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #627 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:10:50 pm »
It was this good:

I need to get out stay in more, I'm ow starting to recognise café tables and crockery. This is The Honey Café, Bronllys.

Exactly right! I bounced it on Saturday morning (although chucked a few coins in the tip jar for the water bottle refill) and whilst heading south from Llandrindodd Sunday morning realised a) my near future would be better if it included ice cream and b) Honey Café was perfectly placed before the next significant climb. :thumbsup:
I am no so sad I stopped at a petrol station in abergavenny. Especially as their ice cream fridge was empty.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #628 on: 20 May, 2019, 10:24:56 pm »
It was this good:

I need to get out stay in more, I'm ow starting to recognise café tables and crockery. This is The Honey Café, Bronllys.

Exactly right! I bounced it on Saturday morning (although chucked a few coins in the tip jar for the water bottle refill) and whilst heading south from Llandrindodd Sunday morning realised a) my near future would be better if it included ice cream and b) Honey Café was perfectly placed before the next significant climb. :thumbsup:
I am no so sad I stopped at a petrol station in abergavenny. Especially as their ice cream fridge was empty.

Obviously a bit late to tell you this now, but if you went to the back of the shop the ice creams were in one of the frozen food cabinets.

I was desparate to have an Ice Cream at Abergavenny after the idea was put in my head by another rider. I'd initially stopped at the first Petrol Station, but the queue was out the door, rode through town thinking I'll go to the second one. Almost cried when I saw the empty cabinet, then elated when I found the stash of Magnums in the Freezer cabinet.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #629 on: 21 May, 2019, 11:42:31 am »
I've now done the BCM four times (2010, 2013 and 2018) and honestly say that this year's edition was the worst for weather I've experienced

The weather was marvellous.  There were light winds and it only rained once, and quite briefly.  I didn't use my spare gloves or overshoes

If that's the worst weather you've seen on the BCM then I'd say your experiences are atypical :)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #630 on: 21 May, 2019, 11:59:58 am »

If that's the worst weather you've seen on the BCM then I'd say your experiences are atypical :)

Indeed. I've always been very lucky! I remember sun bathing in Weobley in 2010 or 2013! Or possibly both years
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #631 on: 21 May, 2019, 05:57:28 pm »
Yes the weather was perfect.

But I also personally felt cold throughout the ride.
But my companions were happy to ride in summer kit.

Any way it's been much worse, and I'm thankful I've had quite an easy SR this year.

Like adamski, I feel once upon a time  it used to be  a really warm ride.
And I had a regular  one hour siesta spot before weobly.

This will be my last BCM..
And now I'm researching couscous and ratatouille
recepies. 😉

« Reply #632 on: 21 May, 2019, 06:02:42 pm »
 Moving to Provence?

« Reply #633 on: 21 May, 2019, 06:08:49 pm »
It's a King's menu reference, Monsieur.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #634 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:30:04 pm »
Yes the weather was perfect.

But I also personally felt cold throughout the ride.
But my companions were happy to ride in summer kit.

Ok so I felt it was good enough weather to take my skimpy summer waterproof and not the full on winter coat
I wore a base layer for a long time during the day
I had to put all my clothes on for the final descent down to Kings in the middle of the night

But compared to a typical year, that is good weather

« Reply #635 on: 22 May, 2019, 07:47:44 pm »
I was wearing 3layers for most of the ride.
Sometimes 4 including a shower jacket and a gilet.
Despite some of the most benine conditions.

Anyway, I still has a great ride even though the tan lines aren't as sharp as I'd like.
Good to meet you at Mach' Jamie

« Reply #636 on: 23 May, 2019, 10:09:06 am »
It's that early-season weather where you're too hot in the sun, but chilled in the wind.  I'm happier being too cold than too hot, so chilling at 70k/hr on descents is quite pleasant for short periods.

« Reply #637 on: 20 August, 2019, 07:20:31 pm »
Just to let you all know, Chapman 2020 is now booking. Looking forwards to seeing regulars and newbies next Spring!

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #638 on: 22 August, 2019, 04:22:24 pm »
Ooh - fancy slipping that out while many of the usual suspects are somewhere in France.  ;)  A good day to bury great rides?  :D
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #639 on: 22 August, 2019, 06:57:44 pm »
Did you know it’s listed in the lonely planet Epic Bike Rides of the World. Apologies if this has been mentioned, only just got the book and not read the whole thread :)

« Reply #640 on: 23 August, 2019, 10:14:02 pm »
Ooh - fancy slipping that out while many of the usual suspects are somewhere in France.  ;)  A good day to bury great rides?  :D

Well it's been "open" since a few days before the PBP but I expect everyone has had their attention elsewhere. Event Organisers don't make the calendar go "live" -  that's a job of someone else in AUK - so even if you know it's about to happen, sometimes you don't realise it has till entries start coming in. It all depends on when people are able, and available, to do stuff. I suspect the volunteer who does this has possibly been on PBP and set it up before heading out to France. It's a very early launch this year, however about 1/3 of the places are already filled...

Redlight

« Reply #641 on: 23 August, 2019, 11:38:31 pm »

Well it's been "open" since a few days before the PBP but I expect everyone has had their attention elsewhere. Event Organisers don't make the calendar go "live" -  that's a job of someone else in AUK - so even if you know it's about to happen, sometimes you don't realise it has till entries start coming in. It all depends on when people are able, and available, to do stuff. I suspect the volunteer who does this has possibly been on PBP and set it up before heading out to France. It's a very early launch this year, however about 1/3 of the places are already filled...

Yeah, I know.  I was just being cheeky.  ;)  I'm sure it will fill up quickly as it is a great ride - I was up in North Wales a few weeks ago and rode the Dolgellau-Menai-Dollgellau stages in reverse for the fun of it  ::-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #642 on: 24 August, 2019, 07:41:11 am »
I'm sure it will fill up quickly as it is a great ride - I was up in North Wales a few weeks ago and rode the Dolgellau-Menai-Dollgellau stages in reverse for the fun of it  ::-).
So did you ride  Dolgellau-Menai-Dollgellau instead?

That's a useful post from catwiskas, as I suspect the "appearance" of rides can often seem a bit odd to the average member.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

« Reply #643 on: 24 August, 2019, 09:47:44 am »
I'm sure it will fill up quickly as it is a great ride - I was up in North Wales a few weeks ago and rode the Dolgellau-Menai-Dollgellau stages in reverse for the fun of it  ::-).

Yep - it all looks very different when you do it that way round. 

(In many ways, it was more enjoyable, especially not having to come to a sudden stop at the end of that little climb off Barmouth Bridge. I enjoyed climbing Llanberis from the north more, as well, but on balance I think going anti-clockwise from Beddlegert, as the BCM does, gives the best balance of pleasant climbing and fast descents.)

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #644 on: 24 August, 2019, 02:22:48 pm »

Yep - it all looks very different when you do it that way round. 

(In many ways, it was more enjoyable, especially not having to come to a sudden stop at the end of that little climb off Barmouth Bridge. I enjoyed climbing Llanberis from the north more, as well, but on balance I think going anti-clockwise from Beddlegert, as the BCM does, gives the best balance of pleasant climbing and fast descents.)

also fewer people would go through pen y pass in daylight going the other way, i know some will see it in daylight either way, and some in darkness either way, but I imagine a significant number will see sunset somewhere around Menai

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #645 on: 23 October, 2019, 02:28:00 pm »
The Organiser is  about to acknowledge the second batch of entries for the 2020 event.  Still a few places left but reducing rapidly.  Closing date expected around 10 November.

Quite a few people seem to think they have entered online this year ... but have only clicked the AUK bookmark thing which I think is a sort of "wish list" of events you're thinking of entering. So if you think you've entered, but haven't heard from the organiser, you may want to be sure you sent the entry form off (and as importantly) remembered to put a stamp on it.  This event is still a paper entry.

« Reply #646 on: 24 October, 2019, 02:53:48 pm »
Clicking on the "ENTRY FORM" link to get a personalized entry form (to print out) automatically puts an event into an AUK member's 'The rides you've entered" list. It also throws up, in red on the event page "Ajax - you are on the Start List having entered this event". If you can't remember trying to find your cheque book (or buying a postal order), you haven't entered.
7 Oct: "Hi everyone
"The first batch of entries for BCM 2020 has just been processed and this email is therefore confirmation that we have received an entry from you and you are on the start list for 16 May 2020." 

« Reply #647 on: 25 October, 2019, 05:40:31 pm »
Hi Ajax - this is indeed worrying because if I understand you right, there could be folk who have downloaded the form, think they have entered because they have had a message appear on "rides you have entered" but haven't. (though why they think they might have entered without paying, goodness knows.) The ones who have made contact certainly haven't so far appeared on the start sheet when we have checked. This must I presume link to the payment system in some way - BCM is paper entry so it's a manual start sheet.

Oh dear.

« Reply #648 on: 25 October, 2019, 07:13:53 pm »
It's a well known minor and unimportant wrinkle in the AUK 'entry system' and only confuses (a few) people when they have to adopt an offline mode of entry. I really wouldn't worry - not your problem. It's a rather amusing 'reverse' of the "Oh goodness, how do you do this new 'computer-based' entry pallaver?" 20 years on.

« Reply #649 on: 03 November, 2019, 10:52:13 pm »
Looks like the second batch of entries has been acknowledged (29 Oct).
"There are no planned changes to last year’s route" so I've retitled my 2019 'final' route on RwGPS:
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20922029?beta=false
Still a few places left, apparently. Roll up! Roll up! A King's bunk could be temporarily yours.