Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 333305 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Re: Television tonight, whats worth watching
« Reply #1025 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:37:06 am »
The UC final.  Please, please let Monkman lose.

Too Canadian for your tastes?

Remember Emmanuel Guttenplan?  He had an endearing geek chic that Monkman could never pull off. 

The whole final annoyed me tbh.  Two all-male Oxbridge teams, of which only 1.25 looked like they had either any style or any chance of getting laid.  Cosgrove was the 0.25 there, and he was the only one on the Wolfson team who could carry the torch for British manhood, because Chaudhri, the other home student on his team, looked and sounded like he'd had his charisma surgically removed at birth.  Okay, I recognised a bit of myself in him.  Well I wouldn't want to be on a team - or in a world - with four of myself.  Ewww.

Also, Wolfson beat SOAS (who are always, by definition, cool) and Emmanuel (who can hold their heads high because they all have lives but not dandruff, which is more than Wolfson can say), so I'm biased against them by now.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1026 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:50:22 am »
Remember Emmanuel Guttenplan?  He had an endearing geek chic that Monkman could never pull off.

Yes, he was good. Neither were as good as Corpus Christi Trimble though.

Two all-male Oxbridge teams

Purely a coincidence, surely?  ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1027 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:52:50 am »
It's about time UC stopped giving every oxbridge college a separate entry.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #1028 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:58:21 am »
Remember Emmanuel Guttenplan?
I loved Guttenplan's "it wasn't a guess" retort to Paxo...

(I think I got only two questions right last night that none of the contestants did - the Dr Seuss one, which was a little bit of guesswork, and the SNOB one.)  :thumbsup:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1029 on: 11 April, 2017, 06:25:43 pm »
WOLFSON MONKMAN didn't help matters by a shedload of incorrect interruptions.  I larrffed.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1030 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:00:51 pm »

(Tenuous claim to fame alert:) Do I ever; he beat us in the semi-finals that series. Both he and Jenny Harris were terrifying quizzers, though gauche as all fuck and utterly without social skills.</notbitter> He does seem to have mellowed slightly these days (fuck, is it really the best part of a decade now!?)

« Reply #1031 on: 11 April, 2017, 09:28:13 pm »
Car Share. The section with the cyclist is inspired - we've all been there - the epilogue is hilarious. Also the Shaun Ryder Rehab Centre :thumbsup:

« Reply #1032 on: 11 April, 2017, 10:00:43 pm »
(A week) tonight - new series of Veep on Sky Atlantic.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1033 on: 11 April, 2017, 11:18:57 pm »
Car Share. The section with the cyclist is inspired - we've all been there - the epilogue is hilarious. Also the Shaun Ryder Rehab Centre :thumbsup:
That cyclist looked like about 300 cyclists I know, and I only know 301.  Yes including the females.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #1034 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:26:07 am »

Yes how do they get away with that? Other universities are collegiate eg York and Durham and they don't get to enter one team per college.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1035 on: 12 April, 2017, 09:45:43 am »

(Tenuous claim to fame alert:) Do I ever; he beat us in the semi-finals that series. Both he and Jenny Harris were terrifying quizzers, though gauche as all fuck and utterly without social skills.</notbitter> He does seem to have mellowed slightly these days (fuck, is it really the best part of a decade now!?)

For some reason, Manchester vs Emmanuel 2010 is evading me on Youtube.

When I was on for York we got beaten by UCL, who got as far as the semis - despite being a bunch of smugly annoying nerds who spent waaaaay too long over their questions (grumble grumble).  Then a few years later, I was associated with KCL through work, and switched on one night to see the Kings team beaten by the exact same score we'd lost by.    I then switched over to Only Connect, only to see Karran, the UCL captain who'd beaten us, winning.  It was all too much - I switched off and went to bed.

citoyen

« Reply #1036 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:06:01 am »
One of the major disappointments in my life is that my university career coincided with the gap between the old version finishing and the new version starting.

But it's probably for the best.

« Reply #1037 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:09:27 am »

Yes how do they get away with that? Other universities are collegiate eg York and Durham and they don't get to enter one team per college.

It's Oxbridge and that's it really. different rules apply to them

« Reply #1038 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:38:43 am »
For some reason, Manchester vs Emmanuel 2010 is evading me on Youtube.

Feast your eyes: https://youtu.be/wW5JBWflH3w

(I'd forgotten quite how horrendous that match was; forever fractions of a second behind Guttenplan... At least we pulled back from a disastrous first half to a reasonable score by the end.)

« Reply #1039 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:59:04 am »

It's Oxbridge and that's it really. different rules apply to them

Is having multiple teams on UC some sort of compensation for a degree from Oxbridge no longer being a guarantee of a job running a fairly large portion of the Empire?
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1040 on: 12 April, 2017, 06:51:03 pm »
A more prosaic explanation is that Oxbridge colleges still do teaching at college level.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1041 on: 13 April, 2017, 12:11:36 pm »
... and they know a helluva lot more useless stuffs.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1043 on: 18 April, 2017, 09:18:01 pm »
I know it was last night but, Broadchurch.
Olivia Colman's rage face.
'Kin 'ell.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1044 on: 19 April, 2017, 11:24:14 am »
Every face Olivia Colman made, come to that.  She's just (hunts for suitable adjective but fails to find one).

fuzzy

« Reply #1045 on: 28 April, 2017, 02:10:46 pm »
Downloadable any night-Murder in Successville

DI Sleet is the head of CID in Successville, a town populated by celbrities who fulfill a wide range of roles (The last one I watche, Paloma Faith worked in a bar frequented by ladies of negotiable affection, Jamie Oliver and Jonathan Ross were members of an exclusive Gentlemans Club.

Anyhoo, Sleet gets given a new sidekick each episode (Martin Kemp, Richard Osman etc.) as new recruits and the fun starts there. It follows a plot line but seems to be mainly improv. Makes me and Mrs F laugh out loud.

citoyen

« Reply #1046 on: 28 April, 2017, 03:04:51 pm »
Caught some of Bigheads last weekend. Like a cross between It's A Knockout and Stars In Their Eyes. My son and I found it hilariously funny... for about five minutes. Unfortunately, it's a pretty one-dimensional gag and once you've seen it, you've seen it.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1047 on: 03 May, 2017, 01:04:43 am »
I have not long ago learned that Amazon Prime are doing a televisual version of Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" - first episode released into the wild on May 1st.  Miss von Brandenburg says there's loadsa killin's, and very graphic ones at that.  Apparently it's to be spread over three seasons.

« Reply #1048 on: 03 May, 2017, 03:57:07 pm »
Every face Olivia Colman made, come to that.  She's just (hunts for suitable adjective but fails to find one).

She is indeed. The first thing I saw her in was Green Wing. She was superb. As were, I have to say, all of the cast.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #1049 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:10:36 am »
A more prosaic explanation is that Oxbridge colleges still do some teaching at college level.
FTFY

To my mind, it's perfectly fair for each Oxbridge college to have its own team - they still have to qualify for the main draw, and the pool of talent is obviously that much smaller when comparing say, (my alma mater) Sidney Sussex's 400 students with the University of Manchester's 40,000.  I'm not sure I agree with postgraduate students competing, though.