Author Topic: BBC London  (Read 17994 times)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
BBC London
« on: 30 September, 2018, 05:17:27 pm »

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: BBC London
« Reply #1 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:10:30 pm »

BR, or BRM?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:13:39 pm »

BR, or BRM?

J

well as it's post coital probably BR

« Reply #3 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:37:00 pm »
If you look at the AUK website you can see that BBC London is not part of the World Service.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #4 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:37:19 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

bairn again

« Reply #5 on: 30 September, 2018, 07:56:16 pm »
that looks fab!

« Reply #6 on: 01 October, 2018, 04:09:59 am »
You must have had some fun naming that! Starting from Chalfont, CBBC perhaps? Or BBC-6 even? After all the PBP 600 qualifiers it could be 1 Xtra.

How about a 400 to the coast....Channel 4?

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 01 October, 2018, 07:12:35 am »
You must have had some fun naming that! Starting from Chalfont, CBBC perhaps? Or BBC-6 even? After all the PBP 600 qualifiers it could be 1 Xtra.

How about a 400 to the coast....Channel 4?
I feel I must bring you back to the diversity and inclusion topics there was such a constructive discussion on. How can Audax expect to grow with such a bizarre naming convention where no one expect the privileged few can understand the naming and abbreviations used. So far in this thread we have had BM, BRM, BBC, CBBC. Also only locals know where Chalfont is so only hardcore Audaxers will bother with it. It needs a relocation of the start so that people who live inside London will know where it starts. Then Buxton, Boston and Chatteris are quite small places and Boston is confusing because everyone knows that is in America. Now if you used the term 'northern' everyone has a concept of travelling north, but minorities might be out off because we all know people in the north voted for Brexit and are all bigots, so the northern bit might have to be dropped. The start time is a bit anti-social and something more like 10am will be more accommodating. The distance and time allowed are also a bit harsh and not very inclusive and people will need to have lights and expensive bikes to even consider entering. I was brought up in the north and know from raw experience that vegetarian and vegan options are few and far between Vegitarian riders will be restricted to a diet of Greggs Cheese and onion pasties and god knows what vegans will eat as even the chips will be fried in dripping.

So like many rides in the Audax calendar this ride looks like it is restricted to dedicated, fit people who can navigate at night and have an understanding of the geography of the UK and can manage with the food on offer. If only there was a glossy web site to advertise the ride!

BB   
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 01 October, 2018, 03:19:28 pm »
 ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #9 on: 01 October, 2018, 05:22:00 pm »
Just added it to my "thinking about" calendar;

It looks like a decent trip round parts of england I would otherwise not get round to seeing; not too hilly, and quiet a varied route. I even note 100km of near total flatness, an alien concept, the 264m of climbing in that 100m being almost as much as the lowest amount I can find in 20km

The only thing stopping me for actually entering is that if I've done PBP, then there's the danger I'll still be suffering the trauma of that.
Oh and because I'm still working out my annual leave; no chance of travelling that far south on a Friday afterwork, or getting to work on the Monday morning.

I trust if I do scrape together the princely sum of twelve quid from my fifer standard issue wallet (money sits just out of reach), that will go someway to meeting diversity quotas by scoring the Nae fae roond here, "Scotch", disney speak the lingo and almost albino criteria. Although I'm afraid I'm not ginger so you can't get that one.

Manotea

« Reply #10 on: 03 October, 2018, 02:50:58 pm »
When I look at the map, I immediately think, "Once I had a farm in Afrika..."

If the name wasn't already set it might have been The African Dream.
An homage to another group of intrepid travellers battling against the odds. How audax is that?

Phil W

« Reply #11 on: 03 October, 2018, 05:41:24 pm »
If you look at the AUK website you can see that BBC London is not part of the World Service.

Oh very good.

« Reply #12 on: 03 October, 2018, 06:09:29 pm »
Love it.  Can i ride sooner as a perm, starting oop north, duck?

Manotea

« Reply #13 on: 03 October, 2018, 11:08:37 pm »
I expect so. Lots of route checking to be done. :)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14 on: 03 October, 2018, 11:19:47 pm »
Looks good! really enjoyed the orbital and with nary a ferry in sight hopefully I will be back in safely in time for last orders.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #15 on: 04 October, 2018, 04:32:42 am »
very nice, hope this becomes a regular, after PBP (and the qualifying SR series) and an easter arrow (hopefully completed this time) I fear this may be moving into taking the p*** territory domestically.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

whosatthewheel

« Reply #16 on: 04 October, 2018, 06:57:08 am »

B road north of Uttoxeter going to Rochester is very busy with fast traffic, there is a side road on the left, which allows to avoid most of it at no extra cost... worth using it in my opinion.

« Reply #17 on: 04 October, 2018, 08:09:58 am »
It may have changed as i have not ridden it this year but I do not usually find it that bad.  It has clear sight lines as it is very straight and the carriageways are wide enough to allow cars to pass.  They are doing a lot of work round there at the moment so will be worth checking.

Manotea

« Reply #18 on: 04 October, 2018, 09:44:39 am »

B road north of Uttoxeter going to Rochester is very busy with fast traffic, there is a side road on the left, which allows to avoid most of it at no extra cost... worth using it in my opinion.
Thanks, taken that - as a rule of thumb, l try and avoid long straight roads for a host of reasons.

I've revised the route north, now routing via Alton but avoids the approach roads to Alton Towers.

Further south, swapped out Burton-on-Trent and Rugby for Market Bosworth. Have to add 'Battlefields' to the list of attractions. :)

« Reply #19 on: 04 October, 2018, 10:52:27 am »
not updated on RWGPS yet

whosatthewheel

« Reply #20 on: 04 October, 2018, 11:36:28 am »
The approach road to Alton towers is actually not too bad, but I have never done it on a weekend.

That said, I have the feeling riders will get there late afternoon/evening, so there might not be any traffic at all

hillbilly

« Reply #21 on: 04 October, 2018, 12:23:58 pm »
Looks great.  Wonderful to have a 600km event in the South East that is more than a Hampshire/Wilthshire route with an alternative start location.  This and the round London 300 are a definite do for me if I'm free.

Particularly like that it gives non-PBP members like me a feasible option for a 600 given the PBP locusts seem to be munching up pre-July 600 entries faster than I want to commit to them.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #22 on: 04 October, 2018, 01:08:13 pm »
2p of Local Knowledge.

* Coming into the southern Peaks, you could consider the Tissington Trail from Ashbourn as an alternative, (a no brainer for navigation and less lumpy than the existing route; downside is a compacted earth surface rather than tarmac) to Parsley Hay. Then cross the A515 onto The Rake and go over the small hump to Monyash (The Old Smithy cafe there is very good if you are passing in the daytime). From there use the lanes via Flagg to Brierlow Bar.
Coming into Buxton, the A515 is OK but it is straight with fast motons so I usually keep left at Brierlow Bar on Brierlow Lane and rejoin the A515 in Buxton at the Hospital (0.5km longer with ~20m extra ascent).
* The A6 from Buxton to the top of the Monsal Trail at the Wyedale car park is horrible - fast traffic on a windy road. It is fairly short and flattish, however, so do-able but I personally avoid it. Unfortunately the alternative is rather scenic with about 100m extra climbing and 2km extra distance (via Waterswallows road and Wormhill, joining the trail at Miller's Dale) so perhaps 5km of suffering on the A6 has to be the best option on a 600.
* Hassop station to Baslow: An alternative route is to go right at the roundabout outside the station onto the A6020 and then go right on the B6048 followed by a left through Pilsley and down a nice little lane to Baslow. 1.5k shorter and a few 10s of m less uphill.

Good Luck.

rob

« Reply #23 on: 04 October, 2018, 01:18:36 pm »
This really suits me as it starts not all that far from home and I have access to a very convenient overnight about 2/3rs distance.

Next year looks a little bit full, though so I suspect I will be either knackered or short of weekend passes by then.

« Reply #24 on: 04 October, 2018, 01:28:03 pm »
I would not want to do the Tissington trail.  it is relatively narrow, used by dog walkers, children, etc who do not expect to see fast moving road bikes.  I would consider the use of this trail for an audax to be extremely risky