Author Topic: BBC London  (Read 18048 times)

Martin

Re: BBC London
« Reply #75 on: 02 January, 2020, 10:49:17 pm »
Entered this will be my big ride for 2020 I'm a mere mortal these days :) a proper Z stop appeals but not sure how to get the wherewithall there and what to take?

« Reply #76 on: 15 January, 2020, 07:58:20 pm »
Looking forward to this having read the thread.
LFCC

« Reply #77 on: 06 July, 2020, 06:13:53 pm »
Does anyone have split gpx's for this?

Also, I'm not keen on using the off-road section that goes in to Lincoln at night. Anyone have experience of using the A57 from around Ragnall to Lincoln? Looks like it's only about 15km and I'd imagine I'd be getting on to it around 10pm.

Davef

« Reply #78 on: 06 July, 2020, 07:30:57 pm »
Not sure what you mean by split gpxs. I was worried about the off-road bit at night so I fitted an extra light to my helmet, but apart from finding the start which was a challenge, it was one of best parts of the ride.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #79 on: 06 July, 2020, 08:57:46 pm »
Sorry, I meant split into a few files ie. maybe 3 200ks?

O good to know about that bit, might see how I'm doing time-wise.

« Reply #80 on: 07 July, 2020, 10:46:04 am »

Also, I'm not keen on using the off-road section that goes in to Lincoln at night. Anyone have experience of using the A57 from around Ragnall to Lincoln? Looks like it's only about 15km and I'd imagine I'd be getting on to it around 10pm.
I’m local to the A57, it’s not too bad, fairly wide and a small hard shoulder. The off road section is pretty good now, especially with all the lockdown cycle traffic “brushing” the gravel surface. It’s tarmac from Harby eastwards, I’m sometimes leave the A57, head through Wigsley and then pick up cycle path at Harby (Route 64) and continue into Lincoln, missing the bypass.

It’s a nice way to enter Lincoln on the cycle path, and follow the signs and it’ll take you past a Sainsbury Express!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #81 on: 07 July, 2020, 06:10:18 pm »
That's really helpful, thanks

Ben T

« Reply #82 on: 07 July, 2020, 11:24:37 pm »

At 10pm it will be quiet traffic wise. I mean it does go right past Drinsey Nook, I'll leave it to the excellent They Walk Among Us podcast / Google/news site of choice to fill you in on what it's notorious for.  :demon:

Just keep pedaling when you see the "scarp metal" (sic) sign.  :sick:  You are unlikely to have to unclip at the lights.

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #83 on: 08 July, 2020, 04:47:43 pm »
Is the intention to do this as a DIY? if so I'd agree with avoiding the railway section into Lincoln at night. Not sure about the section after Lincoln as on my route check I avoided the Water Railway cycling route so not sure what that's like.

The Monsal Trail section is fine at night (apart from gate at Hassop station being locked and having to lift bike over unlike the unfortunate car driver not sure how this panned out on the day) but if there was any way of covering this section in daylight (maybe starting somewhere different?) it would make it 1000% more enjoyable  :thumbsup:

« Reply #84 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:41:29 am »
Is the intention to do this as a DIY? if so I'd agree with avoiding the railway section into Lincoln at night. Not sure about the section after Lincoln as on my route check I avoided the Water Railway cycling route so not sure what that's like.

The Monsal Trail section is fine at night (apart from gate at Hassop station being locked and having to lift bike over unlike the unfortunate car driver not sure how this panned out on the day) but if there was any way of covering this section in daylight (maybe starting somewhere different?) it would make it 1000% more enjoyable  :thumbsup:

Yep, DIY tomorrow. Think the Monsal trail bit would be fine as I'll be there during daylight (pending any disaster).

« Reply #85 on: 09 July, 2020, 11:27:24 am »

I dont think the Monsal trail closes unless weather is bad but can not say for sure, an alternative is to use the A6 down side is it can be a fast and busy road.

As for the railway section to Lincoln this starts not far from Tuxford and is shorter than the A57 route, I have ridden this westwards at night and it is fine just have good lights and watch out for posts, the water railway out of Lincoln is recommended but the new Lincoln bypass has slight detour which may not be passable if water levels high

I was thinking of doing this ride but will wait for next year

GdS

• I have come here to chew carrots and kick ass
« Reply #86 on: 09 July, 2020, 08:58:37 pm »

I dont think the Monsal trail closes unless weather is bad but can not say for sure, an alternative is to use the A6 down side is it can be a fast and busy road.r

The trail never closes unless they are able to lock the tunnels but the exit at Hassop is via the car park of a business that has opened on the station site

here's an excellent programme about the Trail

https://www.my5.tv/walking-britain-s-lost-railways/season-2/7f46939d-d0b4-48da-9486-b64d896763da

« Reply #87 on: 09 July, 2020, 10:39:54 pm »
If you use the majority of the A57 to Lincoln and want to avoid the A57/A46 roundabout you could go this route which takes you back on to cycle route 64 literally under the bypass. It's a great alternative to the roundabout particuarly at busy times.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33311872

The Water Railway to the east of Lincoln has been closed this week between Lincoln and Washingborough due to the dismantling of one of the temporary bridges that have been put in place for the Eastern Bypass Works.

You can use the B1190 out of Lincoln still - it has been closed for months again for the Eastern Bypass works to vehicular traffic but they have put a temporary path in for cyclists and pedestrians.

You could then rejoin the Water Railway route at Washingborough.

Anyone planning to use the Water Railway east out of Lincoln once this weeks closure is over may find this site useful, as mentioned above the path can get flooded - there is a 50m section of it that is particuarly prone to flooding as they have lowered the path for the  works.

The CCTV picture (updates about once a day) shows the path at it's lowest point - If it's not flooded here then you can be certain that it's not flooded anywhere else.

http://www.leb-sustrans-diversion.co.uk/

Apart from the temporary closure the Water Railway is a good route and perfectly OK on a road bike.

« Reply #88 on: 06 September, 2020, 12:59:04 pm »
I’m contemplating this as a DIY if I decide I am going to try for an SR this year. It passes close to where I live and passes close to where my mother and brother live. So I potentially could do a socially distanced flyby.

For those who’ve ridden it and towards the back of the field. The plan is full value given I’ve done nothing more than 200km rides this year. What kind of time were you hitting the Monsal trail then Buxton? Where does it rely on 24 hr opening if anywhere? Just thinking through logistics, and what start times might work for me. 

Davef

« Reply #89 on: 06 September, 2020, 01:15:55 pm »
I’m contemplating this as a DIY if I decide I am going to try for an SR this year. It passes close to where I live and passes close to where my mother and brother live. So I potentially could do a socially distanced flyby.

For those who’ve ridden it and towards the back of the field. The plan is full value given I’ve done nothing more than 200km rides this year. What kind of time were you hitting the Monsal trail then Buxton? Where does it rely on 24 hr opening if anywhere? Just thinking through logistics, and what start times might work for me.
Unless the route has changed from last year the Monsal trail is after Buxton not before. I hit Buxton about 6pm towards the front of the field. I think it was about 250km (in 12 hours). The last couple of hours were hard. After that it was less than an hour to the monsal trail.

« Reply #90 on: 06 September, 2020, 05:24:56 pm »
I was thinking of the Tissington trail that runs north from Ashbourne. Monsal of course runs west towards Bakewell.

So the front of field was only averaging a bit under 21 km/h, useful to know.

Davef

« Reply #91 on: 06 September, 2020, 05:33:27 pm »
The tissington trail was not on the route, but I would certainly be tempted as it avoids much of the really hilly bit. The route from memory was 3AAA and they all came in about 50km.

markldn

• Next ride: TCRno10 '24
« Reply #92 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:24:54 pm »
Dave and I finished 2nd/3rd in 36 hours (24.1km/hr) > me without sleeping but with generous breaks at the McDs (Dave pulled me the last 200km!).  I think I used Ollerton, Lincoln and Boston 24hr McD's. If McD's aren't open because of Covid might be a supermarket or petrol station open?  My recommendation to Paul the organiser was that it would have been ideal(!) to arrive in Buxton an hour earlier to give enough time to ride the Monsal during daylight hours. You'd obviously need to be front of pack or begin at midnight perhaps.  Can't have it all though.

Wish this was on this year.

Good luck!

EDIT: So as not to waste a post but possibly hijacking this one; does anyone know why the Audax calendar aren't showing any 2021 events?  Have they all been turned off because of Covid?  I guess that makes sense.  But I am starting to get rescheduled wedding/stag/hen dates for 2021 and obviously can't commit to any of them without first checking THE MOST IMPORTANT CALENDAR ;)

« Reply #93 on: 07 September, 2020, 07:52:37 pm »
I was going to jump to the 600 first. But having second thoughts and will likely do them in order. So going to try a 300 next, if that runs ok, try a 400, it ok, try 600. I don’t mind a 600 in mid to late October, clothing will be same as if I was doing one in May.

I do have the advantage of choosing my start time and adjusting route to suit. But I may still opt for something flatter given the lack of distance and (many) hills in legs this year.

As to 2021 events. I had to submit Covid risk assessments and adjustments for my September events before they were open for entry. So I suspect it’s that, and you won’t see them open till organisers have done that and decided if they want to run them.

« Reply #94 on: 14 September, 2020, 01:14:02 pm »
Rode this as a DIY a few weeks back.

Monsal trail at night (think I went through it around 9pm, I'd begun the ride from South London) was incredible, the long rail tunnels were full of bats.

Never ridden the waterway area around Lincoln before, reminded me of Northern Belgium / Gent.