Author Topic: Rising star?  (Read 1377 times)

Rising star?
« on: 04 November, 2023, 12:04:21 pm »

At just 21 years old, Rowan Baker has emerged as one of the most exciting talents in the domestic road racing world this season.

.. with his Olympic dreams within reach, a troubling medical condition led to a heartbreaking halt in his rowing career. “I’d blackout at the end of hard efforts or even during them… When I was 19, I’d started to do under-23 rowing and I’d got to quite a high level already. But I’d had a couple of episodes of blacking out, and my coach had then gone to speak to British Rowing and he said for that summer of racing, I wasn’t going to be able to compete, due to it being a safety risk,” Baker shares. “I’d got myself into the first eight, into the top boat that year. I’d spent the whole winter training to essentially just be told ‘you can’t race any more this summer.'”
From rower to road racer
This abrupt end to his rowing season left Baker at a crossroads, one that led him to revisiting his childhood passion for cycling. “I was like, ‘fuck it’, I might as well make the use of my fitness somehow. So I thought, ‘Well, I used to cycle when I was younger’… and we used to do cycling as cross training for rowing,” he says.

So, equipped with a £900 Dolan, he entered into a few races and immediately did well. “I got out of fourth cat doing a solo time trial off the front, from the gun. And I remember speaking to my brother afterwards… and he was like, ‘What power did you do?’ And I said I’d done like 360 [watts] or something for the hour as a fourth cat and he was like, ‘I think you should probably give cycling a go,'” laughs Baker.

To be honest, I enjoyed the sport a lot more than I enjoyed rowing. Because I found that when I was rowing, I was more doing it because I was good at it. I won races; that was my enjoyment for it really. Whereas I liked riding my bike winning or losing, which I think makes a big difference when you’re trying to get to the pinnacle of a sport, you can’t just enjoy it for the results ultimately can you?”

Move Faster and Bake Things

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Rising star?
« Reply #1 on: 04 November, 2023, 12:11:36 pm »
Who he?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #2 on: 04 November, 2023, 12:15:05 pm »
Asterix, you think you could see your way to posting a link to the source for what's in the quote box, please?

Thanks in advance.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #3 on: 04 November, 2023, 12:32:22 pm »
A little binging brings up a Rowan Baker, cyclist.  Cross-referencing with rowing brings up that name, too.  Could he be your huckleberry?

« Reply #4 on: 04 November, 2023, 12:34:08 pm »

« Reply #5 on: 04 November, 2023, 12:41:55 pm »
Where's my fiver?!

« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2023, 05:44:43 pm »
I thought this was going to be about Cameron Mason, who got a silver at the european champs CX on the weekend.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cameron-mason-european-cyclocross-championship-podium-feels-amazing/
It's great - I've been a fan of his ever since I discovered his Youtube channel which has videos from him from when he was a teenager racing in the British CX scene all the way up to now...

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2023, 06:00:07 pm »
Certainly seems to fit the bill, Duncan.

« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2023, 07:47:51 pm »
Apologies- missing square bracket means the link is completely invisible.
Move Faster and Bake Things