Author Topic: Bikepacking around Norway  (Read 1254 times)

Bikepacking around Norway
« on: 17 December, 2023, 08:53:11 pm »
Another mini type ultra that is on the calendar for next year and may interest others is an alternate to the established Bikepacking around Norway dreamed up by Mike at ABR.
It's shorter at 1000km and change, and also partially off road.
Ive heard really good reports about his events in general and the original longer Norway event.

I've signed up for this one along with RATN, and I'll be riding it with my partner. We ride together a fair bit but this will be a step up for her. Im delighted as I don't like being apart for long, and we really enjoy shared adventures.
It looks like there is a reasonable bit of climb and the surfaces will be a bit of an unknown as it's new. It surely can't be as off road as Gravel Tro Breizh.  We will treat it as a "try and get to the end" rather than a race and I'll likely load my rig up with most or all of the supplies.
A tent/shelter looks prudent with the remoter sections in the Parks.
often lost.

Re: Bikepacking around Norway
« Reply #1 on: 31 December, 2023, 09:57:45 pm »
I hope you bothenjoy it!

« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2024, 04:52:10 pm »
I hope you bothenjoy it!

cheers Frank. It's given us both a focus to get on riding and we are both looking forward to seeing a different part of Europe. Ive been delving into the route and the scenery looks spectacular.
We were last in Norway together in the Winter of 1999, 35 years ago!
often lost.

« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2024, 05:02:28 pm »
The 1000km route looks interesting. Spectacular scenery in those parts, and 25% gravel.

We were last in Norway together in the Winter of 1999, 35 years ago!

Have I lost a decade along the way?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2024, 12:51:34 pm »
ahh thanks for pointing that out! It was 1988 when we were last there up North one Winter in Narvik so 36 years. I was over a decade out, small wonder my route finding aint too sharp
often lost.

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2024, 01:15:22 pm »
I was over a decade out, small wonder my route finding aint too sharp

hahaha ... but nothing wrong with vaguely going the right way!

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #6 on: 13 January, 2024, 12:41:25 pm »
I was over a decade out, small wonder my route finding aint too sharp

hahaha ... but nothing wrong with vaguely going the right way!

Ive come to an arrangement with my ride partner. I'll carry everything bar a water bottle and she does the route finding. Thats a great deal with my previous off-track record. It's a fixed route but that hasn't stopped me getting lost before.
often lost.

« Reply #7 on: 16 February, 2024, 01:10:14 pm »
A fairly slim entry card so far on Around Norway. 12 riders signed up between the longer road and the shorter gravel events. I have a sneaking suspicion that  we may be the only riders opting for the mixed surface route. If we finish we could be the first and only pair over the line!
In Michael's other events, RATN is north of 220 starters and he has filled the entry on Three Peaks.
I guess it can take time for a new event to get traction, and perhaps the cost ion living in Norway could be a factor in riders event choices.
often lost.