Author Topic: Tokyo Olympic - cycling  (Read 14801 times)

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Re: Tokyo Olympic - cycling
« Reply #25 on: 26 July, 2021, 12:08:46 pm »
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #26 on: 26 July, 2021, 12:16:00 pm »
Never did like him disrespecting the TdeF for using it as training before abandoning.

« Reply #27 on: 26 July, 2021, 12:31:50 pm »
Never did like him disrespecting the TdeF for using it as training before abandoning.
I'm not really a fan of his, but I do think that's unfair. Most riders doing their first grand tour struggle to complete it, and he was originally not supposed to be riding the Tour this year at all. He raced the first 9 days and then pulled out - to attempt to finish could have put him in a giant hole for vey little reward, and he's been talking about building towards Tokyo for at least 2 years.

« Reply #28 on: 26 July, 2021, 01:13:04 pm »
I'm not really a fan of his, but I do think that's unfair. Most riders doing their first grand tour struggle to complete it, and he was originally not supposed to be riding the Tour this year at all. He raced the first 9 days and then pulled out - to attempt to finish could have put him in a giant hole for vey little reward, and he's been talking about building towards Tokyo for at least 2 years.

Agree - it is a team decision to ride him for n days.  Many teams think it is worth it, and it paid off huge dividends for Alpecin.

« Reply #29 on: 26 July, 2021, 02:25:05 pm »
Dear Both,

I don't really have a strong view on it; I suppose it's just the system I don't like.  I realise it will have been a team decision and that Mathieu will be under contract and is not "his own man".  And, obviously, he did a great job as far as the team's sponsors go, so he is being a good pro.  It could be that I don't like the idea of it being possible for a rider to wear the jersey when it's already known that he has no intention of finishing the ride.  That might enable him to put more effort into the first few days, thereby depriving someone else of the honour.  What I can't deny is that Mathieu is a terrific rider - though if the Olympic mountain bike race is any guide he can be a bit of a plank - or non-plank!

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #30 on: 26 July, 2021, 03:36:22 pm »
No one can take away from the winner’s ride.

It does seem odd that no one in the next group on the road knew she was away. Van Vleuten is not happy with the Netherlands manager.

I didn’t spot any motos with chalk boards. I also suspect that the lead car wasn’t where it should have been.

There were plenty, though they were using whiteboards. There is some discussion about what info they conveyed, though it would appear to have been to UCI specs (which many World Tour riders may not know, having relied on radios for so long).

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #31 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:17:19 pm »

Like Cav* did before Rio :demon:

* and Cancellera
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #32 on: 26 July, 2021, 04:39:48 pm »
Yes - I just don't like it.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #33 on: 26 July, 2021, 07:50:22 pm »
The latest Dutch disaster is that during practice a BMX rider collided with an official and broke his knee.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #34 on: 27 July, 2021, 12:40:08 pm »
Anna van der Breggen pulled off he bike by an official today.  "not aware she was an ITT participant".  Dutch must have done something seriously bad in a previous life :-)

« Reply #35 on: 28 July, 2021, 02:53:35 pm »
What has been happening to the Dutch cyclists is mostly farce (though congratulations to Van Vleuten).  This Afghan woman's last place has triumph and tragedy and Olympics writ large.  What a mad world we live in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57994322

« Reply #36 on: 28 July, 2021, 03:03:51 pm »
Edit - Off topic - now included in the other Olympic thread.
And the British rowers almost managed to ram the Italians:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/57993952

« Reply #37 on: 28 July, 2021, 03:08:25 pm »
What - in the cycling?

« Reply #38 on: 28 July, 2021, 03:33:24 pm »
What - in the cycling?
Good point - wrong Olympic thread.

« Reply #39 on: 28 July, 2021, 05:05:27 pm »
 ;)

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #40 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:37:46 am »
BMX Gold and Sliver in the Women’s and Men’s competitions respectively.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #41 on: 30 July, 2021, 10:58:30 am »
BMX Gold and Sliver in the Women’s and Men’s competitions respectively.

After British Cycling removed the funding from the female gold winner! She had to crowd-fund £50,000 to get to Tokyo.

« Reply #42 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:02:13 pm »
Great result from BMX.  But the funding question just shows all that is wrong with UK sport.  Gave loads to rowing then got rid of the coach who had brought them all the success, with predictable results.  Hopefully this will be a slap in the face to the medals are everything approach and rebalance in favour of grass-roots funding aimed at participation.  Still think that will breed success by providing a greater base to the pyramid, with all the additional physical and mental health benefits to society at large.

Also the men's gold medal winner was the Dutch Athlete mentioned upthread who was knocked over by the idiot official - he had a small fracture in his kneecap as a result - glad to see that it didn't affect his end result

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #43 on: 01 August, 2021, 10:58:31 am »
Watch the women's BMX freestyle final.  I've realised I can't really ride a bike and nor, I suspect, can you.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #44 on: 01 August, 2021, 04:16:37 pm »
Watch the women's BMX freestyle final.  I've realised I can't really ride a bike and nor, I suspect, can you.

I was watching the re-run of both finals and my jaw was somewhere around floor level. :o

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #45 on: 01 August, 2021, 04:33:09 pm »

I watched as you commanded. Thanks. WOW! And how gracious was Hannah Roberts :thumbsup:

Had to gradually come down afterwards and watch some slow cycling (episode 3 The Cotswolds) with Jack Thurston and Jenny Graham

https://app.globalcyclingnetwork.com/yzYVvyKJpeoyzf1S6

« Reply #46 on: 01 August, 2021, 09:38:08 pm »
When you see all those incredible tricks, it does make you wonder just how many people were paralyzed trying them in the first place.  Humans can be amazing!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #47 on: 02 August, 2021, 11:07:07 am »
The forward flip made me gasp more than the 360 backflip.  I have no idea how you set about doing something like that for the first time.  Apparently practice tracks have a softer surface, but you could still break your neck easily.  I guess they wear body armour in practice, as well.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 02 August, 2021, 11:25:08 am »
Folk generally start doing big new tricks with lake jumping and foam-filled pits. Once you start reliably going in wheels first, you progress to hard surfaces.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #49 on: 02 August, 2021, 11:43:28 am »
Trampolining also (from TG article):

The mother of Olympic gold medalist Charlotte Worthington has said her backflips on trampolines when she was a toddler may have helped her clinch the top spot on the podium in Tokyo.

… “From age four-and-a-half, I took her to trampolining at Trafford trampoline club, and she did that a couple of nights a week, doing all the upside down front-flip stuff and I think it all helped with the balance,” she added.
When Worthington started secondary education at Chorlton high school, she would build ramps on the road with all the neighbours’ children kids joining in on their scooters and skateboards.