Author Topic: Garmin 1030Plus  (Read 2491 times)

Garmin 1030Plus
« on: 29 January, 2023, 04:26:48 pm »
Hi everyone has anyone downloaded OS maps to their 1030 plus and if so was it easy to do it.

Re: Garmin 1030Plus
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2023, 08:46:03 am »
Do you mean the 1:50,000 land ranger maps?
I don’t think it’s possible. OS maps are proprietary not open source. They do make some of their maps available for download, here https://osdatahub.os.uk/downloads/open but whether the file formats are compatible with Garmins, I don’t know. Maybe someone else here knows

I have a MicroSD card with OS maps that came with my Edge 810 but the maps are locked to the card and can’t be copied into the main memory, well, they can but they won’t work. Does the 1030 Plus have a card slot?
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2023, 09:43:28 am »
Garmin sell OS mapping under the name of Garmin Topo UK:

https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/garmin-1-50k-full-country-sd-card/
https://shop.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/garmin-gb-topo-pro-gb-full-25k-50k-250k/

But..
It seems from those links that they only sell them on a locked SD card, not as a download you can copy onto a devices internal memory.
So if your device has no SD card slot, then that won't work.

You *may* be able to find some unlocked versions of those on some of the shadier corners of the Internet which can be installed to internal memory, but that is left as an exercise for the reader...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2023, 10:06:44 am »
I haven't tried to download O/S Maps to my 1030, but I do use O/S Maps on-line, which are available as a free-of-charge option in Bing Maps as a tool for route planning / checking.  I have them open in one window and Ride with GPS in another, which I use for curating my routes.  This helps me to avoid the tendency of on-line mapping software to think that bridlepaths are rideable.  What it wouldn't do is help with a get-me-home route if I had to bail on a ride.

I have toyed with the idea of getting an O/S app on my phone but never got round to it.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:13:41 pm »
If you buy a new OS 150 paper map they have a code to scratch off so you can put the code in and use it on the ap,  you don’t need to pay for the app.  On the Garmin map sales the 1:50 has a download version or sd version.  The 1030plus has the memory to take the download.  I’m just so technophobic I’m worried  about messing it up and losing my money ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:21:43 pm »
Some time ago I experimented with an *cough* unofficial offsite backup of the TopoGB maps on my eTrex.  My conclusion was that bitmap maps were poorly suited to such a device, on account of the lack of map resolution, slow CPU speed and inability to scale text to fit the small display (especially when not used in 'north up' mode, which is necessary for the text to be the right way up).  I decided that it was likely to be useful for walking, where the quality of the terrain mapping of OS maps can't be beaten, but pretty rubbish for (even off-road) cycling.

Instead, I purchased a full set of OS maps in the ViewRanger app, which I could happily scroll around quickly on my significantly more powerful (and power-hungry) tablet and smartphone, sticking to vector maps on the Garmin.  As they were Android devices, I could plot GPX routes using the OS map from the comfort of my tent and transfer to the eTrex with a USB cable, without need for an internet connection.

Which worked perfectly until Viewranger was borged by OutdoorActive...

rr

« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2023, 01:57:42 pm »
To be fair outdoor active is getting better and its premium subscription gets you worldwide Topo maps rather than the single country.
I run it on my phone for en route navigation and on my chrome book duet and full sized pc.

Sent from my motorola edge 20 using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2023, 12:44:38 pm »
I sussed it in the end I found an old iPhone lying around in a draw.  I put the os app on it put it in flight mode with the screen off so I will use that for detailed maps when I need them  and use the 1030plus for general use.