Author Topic: 17th March 2012 Jack and Grace Cotton Memorial Ride 2012. (MUDGUARDS REQUIRED)  (Read 1988 times)

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
I'm going to introduce my wife to Audax with this ride.
I got my route sheet the other day and the organiser
says "BECAUSE THE LANES WILL BE MUDDY MUDGUARDS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE DO NOT TURN UP WITHOUT THEM"
There is no mention of this on the AUK website. Thought I'd better warn other (non mudguard using riders). :thumbsup:
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Jack and Grace Cotton Memorial Ride 2012. (MUDGUARDS REQUIRED)
« Reply #1 on: 01 March, 2012, 07:37:38 pm »
On some of the lanes it isn't mud.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:06:07 pm »
On some of the lanes it isn't mud.

And sometimes you don't realise this until the following Wednesday when your neighbours ask you if you crapped in the communal bike shed for a laugh or as a protest against the government.

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:15:18 pm »
I remember riding it when it was earlier in the year and concluding that frozen cow shit slurry is the slipperiest substance known to man.

« Reply #4 on: 01 March, 2012, 08:22:32 pm »
says "BECAUSE THE LANES WILL BE MUDDY MUDGUARDS ARE REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT. PLEASE DO NOT TURN UP WITHOUT THEM"
There is no mention of this on the AUK website. Thought I'd better warn other (non mudguard using riders). :thumbsup:

"Facilities  P R T M 150".

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #5 on: 01 March, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »

"Facilities  P R T M 150".

I stand corrected.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

Just got back from this.

Great turn out, Ken said it was 150, he almost ran out of brevet cards. The organisation was good and I prefer the ride a little later in the year.

Weather was fantastic, not too cold, a little bit of sun and the rain held off until I'd finished (got soaked coming home though). Interesting route too. It isn't often I have lunch in a prison these days.

Rode a little with Cudzoziemiec of this parish. He had a little unclipping moment, and I had one in sympathy a little later and I wasn't even clipped in!

Cyclofabrica had a camera so I'd imagine there will be pictures along later.

Great day and now I'm home and dry, time for a Chinese meal to 'replace' all the calories I shed...

I too am just back from this and have to agree it was very well organised. This was the first time I'd actually managed to do the event and enjoyed it throughly. I found it quite sad to see the children playing in the fenced off family visitor area at Leyhill. I was obviousy slower that you (not a surprise as I'm normally slower that most) and the heavens opened just as I was going past the Woodlands Memorial Cemetery (where I shouted out a hello to my Father In Law who was buried there just over a year ago). The deluge continued until after I'd reported back in at the Leisure Centre and only ended about 15 minutes after I'd ridden home. As I look out it's quite nice now (about 8k from the finish!).
Please don’t ask me questions cos I don't know what to say - Wreckless Eric - 1978

Yes great ride today, well done to Ken in his first year of taking over this popular event. All went smoothly and the new dates did not seem to have any effect on numbers, was as popular as ever  :thumbsup:

Nice to see lots of faces and YACFers  :)  Saw Smurphboy, Cudz, NeilV, and JStone. Thanks to all the helpers, some great cakes at Leyhill!

Few photos from the event up at :

http://bit.ly/wiFMte

Just out of interest does the prison have any connection with the ride?