Author Topic: Cross Training: Running  (Read 400540 times)

Re: Cross Training: Running
« Reply #2250 on: 14 June, 2020, 09:18:59 am »
I’ve been booked as a pacemaker by an old friend for Saturday morning. Originally she suggested that I should pace her around 10k at 8 minute mile pace, she appears to be having doubts that that will be fast enough. I am getting a bit nervous as she was pretty quick back in the day and it’s not obvious that she won’t decide to try 7.30 or lower - in which case she will be doing the pacing...

So we set off uphill at 7.00 min/mile, which I swiftly pulled back:) pleased to say that we completed 10k at 7m 50s per mile. I was pleased with the overall pacing as Harrogate is never less than undulating and we only dropped off for mile 6, which was actually a very gradual climb.

Now for a program to repeat in 8 weeks...

« Reply #2251 on: 14 June, 2020, 01:21:39 pm »
And a nice ‘easy’ 10 off road miles this morning, including finding a delightful new path along the southern bypass - on top of the embankment and separates by trees and undergrowth.

« Reply #2252 on: 14 June, 2020, 01:34:38 pm »
Usual-Sunday-in-lockdown 10k this morning. Under the hour, which is what I aim for (there's over 300 feet of climbing on the route). But I was a soggy mess when I'd finished. 83% humidity.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2253 on: 16 June, 2020, 09:38:48 am »
very hot this morning, even for a gentle run hr averaged 163..

« Reply #2254 on: 16 June, 2020, 12:27:21 pm »
4:59/km at 163bpm! First sign of you being human!

I managed 5:41/km today (albeit cooler than this morning) with an HRavg of 155bpm (my outright PBs are all at an avg about 170bpm and I could probably push 5bpm more than that if I was wearing a number, can't get fully motivated on my own or midfield on a parkrun). The same run two weeks ago (my post-ankle 5k PB) was 5:36/km at 164bpm but that was hot, either that or I'm making good progress on my CV fitness.

Beats per mile down to 1419 too, a new (recent) PB.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2255 on: 16 June, 2020, 03:05:25 pm »
You must all have higher HRmax than I do:(

Threshold is around 159 for me. Max in the low 170s I reckon. Saturday’s 10k was 4:52m/km at 152bpm average. That feels all too human.

Mike

« Reply #2256 on: 16 June, 2020, 03:20:33 pm »
5-a-side: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1754883341

HRavg = 175bpm
HRmax = 201bpm

But for running the highest I've ever seen my HR is 187bpm (avg 173bpm) which was a relatively quick (for me) parkrun: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/758335639

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #2257 on: 16 June, 2020, 03:55:03 pm »
my cycling hr max is 188, running - haven't tested, but i reckon very similar. i've never seen it reach 190bpm.

similar 5min/k runs used to be in the 135-140bpm range in cooler weather; just goes to show how much heat affects my physiology.

« Reply #2258 on: 16 June, 2020, 04:47:09 pm »
I admit to being mildly jealous! Presumably an age thing as mine was higher when younger.

Oddly, my Garmin reckoned on me having a new HRmax of 178 the other week, but I dismissed it as seeming unlikely. As Greenbank suggests, it’s hard to hit the numbers when you’re not racing.

« Reply #2259 on: 16 June, 2020, 10:17:26 pm »
We already knew that running reduces the prevalence of knee osteoarthritis by about 1/3 and now there is a paper suggesting that (self selected) running isn’t harmful and reduces knee pain in adults over 50 with knee osteoarthritis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6095814/?fbclid=IwAR0U5wUt95K3spBGXXAZXBieYytC_nAyBmdWHfJBq0Ki2-PGukUx8ffWv6I

I’m sure they told me that running would wear my knees out when I was young, but that was largely people that didn’t move. There’s more and more work showing that we need to keep moving...

« Reply #2260 on: 17 June, 2020, 12:58:07 pm »
We already knew that running reduces the prevalence of knee osteoarthritis by about 1/3 and now there is a paper suggesting that (self selected) running isn’t harmful and reduces knee pain in adults over 50 with knee osteoarthritis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6095814/?fbclid=IwAR0U5wUt95K3spBGXXAZXBieYytC_nAyBmdWHfJBq0Ki2-PGukUx8ffWv6I

I’m sure they told me that running would wear my knees out when I was young, but that was largely people that didn’t move. There’s more and more work showing that we need to keep moving...

wearing out your joints from use is still such a universal trope that I have even stopped discussing it.  It is just impossible to change peoples views. 

« Reply #2261 on: 17 June, 2020, 01:20:30 pm »
Hit 173bpm last night, with an average of 156bpm. Stupid lungs are horrible at the mo' - felt good to get some air down into the deep bits.

My form feels horrible at the moment too. I have the style of a newborn calf. Still, injury free and enjoying it. Going through a "I hate Zwift" patch at the mo.

« Reply #2262 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:50:07 pm »
Hit 173bpm last night, with an average of 156bpm. Stupid lungs are horrible at the mo' - felt good to get some air down into the deep bits.

My form feels horrible at the moment too. I have the style of a newborn calf. Still, injury free and enjoying it. Going through a "I hate Zwift" patch at the mo.

Just enjoy it, regardless.

I'm injured. Have been for 4-5 weeks, not sure when it will heal and it's awful.

« Reply #2263 on: 17 June, 2020, 04:53:59 pm »

Nice to hear your riding. I’ve noticed a fair amount of pollen in the last couple of weeks and traffic is, sadly, building back up. Does that affect you?

On swift, you could try one of the alternative real life video route apps. I like tacx in the winter, when I can ride summer routes around Europe.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #2264 on: 17 June, 2020, 09:59:10 pm »
Ran 10km with the new orthotics on Monday, and the feet are feeling ok.  Pace was only 10 seconds/km slower than when I was running regularly 2 years ago.  Have honed the route so there's less than 1km of tarmac and most is on single track country footpaths by the River Loddon and through local woods.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #2265 on: 17 June, 2020, 10:50:38 pm »

Nice to hear your riding. I’ve noticed a fair amount of pollen in the last couple of weeks and traffic is, sadly, building back up. Does that affect you?

On swift, you could try one of the alternative real life video route apps. I like tacx in the winter, when I can ride summer routes around Europe.

I'm not sure what's doing it - feels like I need to do more chest physio, but there's only so much huffing and coughing one can do in a day.

« Reply #2266 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:14:24 pm »
10k today, got caught in a massive downpour between 2km and 3km but don't mind it as it stops me overheating. Sun came out for the last 3km which was nice.

Felt sluggish and its been only 7 days since giving blood, so I decided to ease off slightly and not bother pushing (I don't look at my km splits when running, tend to have the watch just displaying HR and that's it) but came home in the second fastest time this year for that 10k loop. I'll take that.

« Reply #2267 on: 28 June, 2020, 03:39:55 pm »
Sounds a bit like my morning. Rain at about the same point on my 10k, but fortunately not torrential.
Managed to keep the time under an hour (and there is a serious hill on the route) despite having been awake since half-four.

« Reply #2268 on: 29 June, 2020, 07:50:10 am »
Too windy all weekend to carry kayak over to the river, so I ran on Sat and Sun. Deliberately kept pace down.

Sat, pleasant run.

Sun, chose new route, 3/4 offroad. About 600m of it was through knee-high nettles. My legs are still glowing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #2269 on: 29 June, 2020, 08:31:56 am »
June has been an interesting month of progress in a year of progress.

Restarted running (again!!!) In January on the C25K programme.

Stuttered along through February but then realised in late February that the gym would close soon so stopped going to the gym and concentrated on running only.

Progressed through March and made the 5k mark in March.

Carried on with a new quest of Bridge to 10k through May.

Each month my monthly total distance run has crept up and today I did my last run of June, an attempt to break 30 minutes for 5k.

So June has once again seen my progress stay on track and make me very happy.  Most kms in a month this year (85), longest single run (10k) and a new sub 30 minutes PB (29:42) for 5k.  That was more than a minute quicker than the previous mark.

I even had a brane wobble due to data overload from Garmin but I have reset the grey cells and put that behind me with the help of my PT.

My target now is to slowly increase the long run and try to be ready for a half marathon at the end of October.  Even if the event is not on I shall run the distance but not the actual course as a lot of it is on roads with no pavements and they can get very busy.

« Reply #2270 on: 30 June, 2020, 11:03:26 am »
Inspiring stuff PB - looking forward to that October half report!

« Reply #2271 on: 01 July, 2020, 12:09:44 pm »
Dropping the car off for an MOT tomorrow so that's an excuse to go for a run along the river towards Battersea Heliport and back.

I'm also going to start adding an easy Friday morning recovery run to my routine. I don't do enough "easy" running so adding a specific run that's meant to be done slowly should help. The Tuesday run will eventually become intervals so it should shape the week nicely:-

Mon: rest
Tue: intervals
Wed: rest
Thu: 5k steady
Fri: recovery 5k
Sat: rest
Sun: long run (10k currently)

« Reply #2272 on: 03 July, 2020, 01:02:35 pm »
Slightly different run this morning. I've always used Endomondo for tracking rides and runs. I colleague I used to go riding with at lunchtimes suggested it a very long time ago and I've never bothered changing. It was bought by Under Armour a few years back. Of late it's been less reliable and this morning the app wouldn't connect to the website, so I couldn't use my personalised plans. Instead I used the Apple Watch's Workout app. The biggest difference while running is that I didn't get the km split times. Made a nice change. And with a time of about 27'08" for the 5k, didn't affect my speed either way. Maybe I should mix things up a bit more often.

« Reply #2273 on: 05 July, 2020, 11:38:03 am »
Dropping the car off for an MOT tomorrow so that's an excuse to go for a run along the river towards Battersea Heliport and back.

Did that and funnily enough ended up at Decrackalon and accidentally bought some table tennis stuff for the outdoor table we just obtained (the bonus present that seems far less extravagant when tacked on to a complete garden overhaul.

10k today, tried to take it a bit slower in order to give me more "low aerobic" time to readdress the imbalance in my "just do some running" style of training (primarily aimed at losing weight rather than getting faster). It's nice going out for a run knowing I don't have to push that hard all the time.

With the last two runs being done more slowly I've managed to push the "low aerobic" up from almost nothing to just inside the optimal range:-

Not worried about the anaerobic stuff, that'll start to appear when in a few weeks when I start doing intervals again.

« Reply #2274 on: 05 July, 2020, 01:12:47 pm »
Today I learnt how far I can go pre-breakfast before I hit the wall.  I usually run pre-breakfast, so 5-10km is fairly normal, if it is steady state. I've been pushing up to mid distance and managed 16km last Sunday and 18km on Friday, so thought I'd give 21km a go today. I'm not 100% sure if it's just being pre-breakfast, or also the accumulation of mileage this week, but the 18-20km section was very hard today. It doesn't help that I live on a hill, so this particular route has a 100m incline between 18 and 19.5km.

I'm looking forward to being able to travel to flatter locations on Monday, so I can go somewhere where I can see how I feel at various points in the run and add loops, rather than have to decide to add/remove distance in the middle section. Also being able to go somewhere where falling over isn't going to be extremely painful. I fall over quite a lot (no feeling in one foot) so technical sections on rock (slate) aren't my favourite.

Otherwise, the run was reasonably good. Lots of flooded paths, so very wet feet (I jumped the first stream, seemed a bit pointless after the first random completely flooded long section of footpath). I tried a new footpath I've never done and saw some mini frogs. And I've learnt that I should eat before trying anything longer!