Author Topic: Fantastic people  (Read 8694 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: Fantastic people
« Reply #25 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:20:16 pm »
Sara Canning1 for telling T May that ‘she was massively derelict in her duties to Northern Ireland’ in not governing the province from London as power sharing had failed. She was specifically demanding that same sex marriage be legalised for the people of NI.

1. Sara Canning is the partner of Lyra McKee, and this exchange took place at the memorial service last month.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: 08 May, 2019, 09:33:33 pm »
Yes, she was v good on C4News tonight.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #27 on: 02 November, 2019, 08:10:02 am »
Brian Moore.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #28 on: 15 March, 2022, 09:32:12 pm »
I thought Marina Ovsyannikova  should get mentioned here.  Amazing bravery.

(And each time I see Lindsey Filsum on C4 News I'm struck by her bravery too.)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #29 on: 15 March, 2022, 09:59:51 pm »
Brian Moore.

Why?
Not that I necessarily disagree, but would like to understand your reasoning.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 15 March, 2022, 10:06:36 pm »
Can I nominate some "pretty ordinary" people, aka the fish man, Simon the veg man, Alan the egg man, the cheese man, all denizens of Ely farmers markets and who collectively after 2 years of me keeping a low profile to protect number 1 son welcomed me with variants of "how are you? Good to see you back here, I thought you might have moved/been dead. How's the family?"

And I've only lived here 17 years
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #31 on: 08 December, 2022, 11:46:58 pm »
Someone mentioned that we should have a lovely people thread as a counterpoint to the Super-Twat thread.

I think that's a great idea.

I shall basically say that many of you lot deserve to be in it. So many little posts of kindness here every day. More of this kind of thing.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #32 on: 09 December, 2022, 12:19:52 am »
There’s someone in my town that is.

This person lives with a disability but does more than any able-bodied person. I cannot say who because it could be worked back to who I am on about.

A super-nice super hero.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 09 December, 2022, 12:44:25 am »
I think such a thread was already tried a while back.  That it seems to have sunk without trace goes to show something, although I'm sure I don’t know what.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #34 on: 09 December, 2022, 07:08:33 am »
I am fortunate to inhabit a part of society where people generously give of their time to help others in various ways.  I know people who give of their time and energy to help the weak and vulnerable, elderly and disabled.  I have friends who volunteer at the local food bank, run the Christmas charity cafe, repair "stuff" at Rugby's monthly Repair Cafe, help those who need assistance with filling of forms, interpreting of officious paperwork and so on.  And all this before I look into the pages of YACF and so many of the exceptionally nice and generous people I have enjoyed the excellent pleasure of interacting with in so many ways.

All these people are super nice but also heroes of our society.  They stand out because they are outstanding human beings.

« Reply #35 on: 09 December, 2022, 08:25:13 am »
Not many of us are always super-nice. I know someone who is, in Cambridge.

They have two jobs, one of which is for an animal shelter (they are an animal medic). They write and illustrate children's books. So, busy.

They volunteer for streetvet, treating homeless people's pets.

They are consistently, non-judgmentally welcoming and helpful, in context in which I met them (not saying, because too much will identify them).

When meeting them, I wondered if they were for real. Where is the flaw?

Took not long to realise that they are a genuinely, to the bone, nice person.

They might have harsh words to say to someone who was cruel to an animal, but their harsh words would be like watching a kitten pounce on fluff.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #36 on: 09 December, 2022, 09:00:03 am »
I created the other thread that Mr L mentions above, but I cannot remember what I called it, and I can’t find it when I did a (n admittedly cursory) search of my threads. I might have a look again later.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #37 on: 09 December, 2022, 09:05:46 am »
Can a person exist on both threads?

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #38 on: 09 December, 2022, 11:21:51 am »
Not simultaneously.  It’s to do with quantum wossnames.  Professor B Cox could probably explain it.  From up a mountain.  In Hawaii.

« Reply #39 on: 09 December, 2022, 01:52:44 pm »
I created the other thread that Mr L mentions above, but I cannot remember what I called it, and I can’t find it when I did a (n admittedly cursory) search of my threads. I might have a look again later.

Oddly enough, I had a browse through The Pub yesterday when I pondered pointing out that such a thread existed already. Your thread's called "Fantastic people" and had only slipped down to page 3:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=110132.0
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #40 on: 12 December, 2022, 01:43:30 pm »
So I'm behind some scruffy 'erbert in the queue in Mr Sainsbury’s House of Toothy Comestibles, who is seemingly buying enough groceries to see out a six-month Siberian-stylee SNOpocalypse.  But why is he buying such titchy packs of for e.g. cereal and rice?

Answer: because he's spending the thick end of three hundred of his own quids on Stuffs to donate to the food bank at the end of his street :thumbsup:

Also, bollocks to the arsewipes in charge of this G7 economy that have turned food banks into one of the few growth industries we now have >:(

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #41 on: 12 December, 2022, 03:51:44 pm »
I'm not a football fan, but the England team deserve a shoutout for rescuing Dave the cat from Qatar and bringing him home with them.  Although, when he gets off the plane, he'll probably think it's a Siberian gulag.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #42 on: 12 December, 2022, 04:10:37 pm »
And after 4 months in quarantine he'll probably wonder if he arrived in an inflatable.

ian

« Reply #43 on: 12 December, 2022, 04:12:37 pm »
Britain for British cats, innit.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #44 on: 12 December, 2022, 06:04:08 pm »
I'm not a football fan, but the England team deserve a shoutout for rescuing Dave the cat from Qatar and bringing him home with them.  Although, when he gets off the plane, he'll probably think it's a Siberian gulag.
The qat from Catar.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #45 on: 12 December, 2022, 06:13:48 pm »
Bloody Ay-rab cats!  Comin' over 'ere…

[cont. p94 of next weekend’s “Heil On Sunday”]

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #46 on: 14 December, 2022, 10:18:26 am »
Kate Brown, Oregan State Governer because she has commuted 17 death sentences and in one fell swoop has cleared the states death row.

Well, yes, I could have used the Super Nice thread, but hey, this is the one I made earlier  ;D

« Reply #47 on: 14 December, 2022, 10:31:41 am »
The police, firefighters, paramedics, doctors & nurses who tried to save lives at Solihull.  And the rescue services in the channel now. 

None of whom merit a decent pay rise of course, according to the government. 

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #48 on: 14 December, 2022, 01:34:47 pm »
Alan the egg man
Alan the walrus, coo coo cichoo
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #49 on: 14 December, 2022, 06:50:16 pm »

Masters

I have merged the ‘Fantastic People' and 'Super-Nice' threads to assuage the OCD inherent in my 'droidness.

Happy non-denominational December festival!

C-3PO