Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2134307 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #14200 on: 03 December, 2019, 11:03:50 pm »
Replaced the chain and middle chainring on HK’s Roberts. Still to fiddle with the headlight and to regrease the rear hub.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14201 on: 04 December, 2019, 11:05:16 am »
Replaced the broken front spoke on HK’s Kinesis, so she can start racking up the miles again on her preferred bike. The non-tubeless rear Almotion seems to have settled down after being fitted tubeless.

« Reply #14202 on: 06 December, 2019, 12:53:37 pm »
Yesterday, but I managed to replace a fan oven element without once resembling Marv in Home Alone 2 - despite it involving the taking out of said oven and removal of its back plate!

Particularly pleased as it's meant I've been able to deduce what's wrong (via google), realise what needed doing (via YouTube), order the part online and get it all fixed for the total price of £27.94.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #14203 on: 08 December, 2019, 03:26:00 pm »
Fettled a bunch of things and then decided it was time to swap out my mech hanger. It's been straightened a bunch of times and each time it has weakened it, and makes indexing gears for smooth changes impossible.

So, I took the old hanger off, was making ready to put the replacement one on, and, er, found out the 'spare' hanger I got is for the wrong frame 😳

So I've put the old one back on and ordered the right hanger in the post.

Better to find out from home than on a roadside with a snapped one I suppose...
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14204 on: 08 December, 2019, 04:27:42 pm »
Bonded in a loose brake lever pivot on my Frezoni, replaced the worn cantilever brake pads on my trike and replaced the tubeless tape on the rear wheel of HK’s Kinesis. Hopefully that will reduce the rate of pressure loss. That was the last of the Stans fluid. Time to pick a different fluid I think, given the amount of solidified latex left in the bottle. Any suggestions?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14205 on: 08 December, 2019, 04:31:40 pm »
Patched some tubes, found the missing tyre levers and removed a significant quantity of Stratford Greenway[1] from my Brompton.  Chain quarantined in a bottle with some solvent until barakta isn't around.

[1] As usual, a misnomer.

« Reply #14206 on: 08 December, 2019, 09:53:15 pm »
New drive train on the fixie but couldnt find the chaining  bolt tool. Its in the garage somewhere. Screwdriver did the trick and the chain/sprocket/ring turn nicely.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14207 on: 11 December, 2019, 11:15:53 am »
A better mousetrap:

The brown stuff on the seesaw is peanut butter, in case you were wondering.

Mus musculus will now be heading for the fields up behind the village, where there's a nice warm cowshed. Or across the road into a neighbour's chicken-run, if the neighbour isn't looking.

I want to build a better version with a roller instead of the seesaw. With the seesaw the mouse can feel the floor going out from under before it loses balance, but with the roller it can get right into the middle first.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14208 on: 11 December, 2019, 11:33:09 am »
You're now going to be a millionaire! According to theory...

Patched some tubes, found the missing tyre levers and removed a significant quantity of Stratford Greenway[1] from my Brompton.  Chain quarantined in a bottle with some solvent until barakta isn't around.

[1] As usual, a misnomer.
If Stratford Greenway is the ex-railway from Stratford to Long Marston* I'm surprised there's any left. I transported at least half of it to the Teepee place.

*Admit it, you were going to geek at trains.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #14209 on: 11 December, 2019, 11:34:09 am »
Ingenious!  And a reminder to me to always replace the lid on the peanut butter!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14210 on: 11 December, 2019, 12:26:19 pm »
If Stratford Greenway is the ex-railway from Stratford to Long Marston* I'm surprised there's any left. I transported at least half of it to the Teepee place.

That's the one.  I've cycled in the general area many times (mostly on audaxes), but never actually used it.  The bits you'd stolen had been replaced with a thick layer of dihydrogen monoxide, for the entertainment of small-wheeled cyclists.

We met a upright tricyclist coming the other way, who had fun with the Silly Sustrans Gates™ (aren't-you-glad-you-brought-a-Brompton-now kissing gate variety).

It was an origami ride; geeking at trains (or the absence of trains) is almost compulsory, though geeking at buses, trams, planes, canal infrastructure and electric cars are also acceptable.

fuzzy

« Reply #14211 on: 11 December, 2019, 12:31:42 pm »
Yesterday I conducted my first Sturmey Archer 3 speed strip and rebuild.
The hub was in a dead Brompton wheel and I decided to use the dead wheel as a learning resource. I got the guts of the hub out, partially dismantled (one of the pins holding a pawl and spring in place fell out! Woe, woe and thrice woe!) and cleaned up. I then reversed the process (damn fiddly buggers those pawls and springs) and even put the little widget with the indicator chain thread in the right way!
Once back in the wheel, the axle turned one way and the gubbings turned the other. i understand that this is the correct way for things to behave. I feel  8)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14212 on: 11 December, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »
MrsT now wants me to put in something for the mouse to snuggle into, and then build a mouse cage. :facepalm:

It ain't gonna happen.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14213 on: 11 December, 2019, 01:54:37 pm »
Yesterday I conducted my first Sturmey Archer 3 speed strip and rebuild.
I feel  8)

:thumbsup:  More than I'd care to tackle.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14214 on: 11 December, 2019, 02:00:55 pm »
We met a upright tricyclist coming the other way, who had fun with the Silly Sustrans Gates™ (aren't-you-glad-you-brought-a-Brompton-now kissing gate variety).
I dislike those gates. I've only ever ridden along there panniered up, which gives a choice of hauling the mass over the horse-steps or trying optimistically to fit through the kissing gates – difficult enough even without luggage. With a trike, no way, I'm sure.

It was an origami ride; geeking at trains (or the absence of trains) is almost compulsory, though geeking at buses, trams, planes, canal infrastructure and electric cars are also acceptable.
Sounds very YACF!

« Reply #14215 on: 11 December, 2019, 02:02:26 pm »
A better mousetrap:

But not so much better that you find the world beating a path to your door?  ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14216 on: 11 December, 2019, 02:21:35 pm »
Fitted mudguards, rack and dyno headlight to a mate’s new N+1. We’ll rig up the dyno taillight and mudflaps another day.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14217 on: 11 December, 2019, 03:53:27 pm »
I dislike those gates. I've only ever ridden along there panniered up, which gives a choice of hauling the mass over the horse-steps or trying optimistically to fit through the kissing gates – difficult enough even without luggage. With a trike, no way, I'm sure.

As I passed through the final one, I discovered the lock mechanism that allows the gate to swing out beyond the kissing bit was RADAR-key operated.  Which would have reduced a lot of faff if someone had spotted it earlier.

I can't imagine a wheelchair user approaching from the wrong side would have had much luck reaching the lock, thobut, let alone a handcyclist or dismount-averse recumbent tricyclist.

Sounds very YACF!

Like a forum ride, but slower.  Comedy off-roading frequently features.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14218 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:01:35 pm »
A better mousetrap:

But not so much better that you find the world beating a path to your door?  ;)

Hopefully not, but it's better than anything else we've tried. Next comes the Overstims can roller model.

« Reply #14219 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:29:53 pm »
T42 - your neighbours chickens will love the mouse if they catch it. I've seen mine eat one in something that resembled a Tom and Jerry cartoon

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14220 on: 11 December, 2019, 04:53:59 pm »

As I passed through the final one, I discovered the lock mechanism that allows the gate to swing out beyond the kissing bit was RADAR-key operated.  Which would have reduced a lot of faff if someone had spotted it earlier.
I've ridden through them several times and never noticed that mechanism, so well done to you. Shall I invest in a radar key? Probably not, unless there's a lightweight racing carbon fibre version.

I can't imagine a wheelchair user approaching from the wrong side would have had much luck reaching the lock, thobut, let alone a handcyclist or dismount-averse recumbent tricyclist.
Indeed. Makes them so... useful...  :(

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14221 on: 11 December, 2019, 09:42:14 pm »

Sounds very YACF!

Like a forum ride, but slower.  Comedy off-roading frequently features.

I live just opposite The Greenway (at the Stratford end) but only use it on very, very rare occasions as the surface seems to be replenished quite frequently with what seems to be a mixture of very fine grit and cement!  ... and the badgers don't help with making holes all over the place.  At the weekend it's even worse with dog-walkers and runners wearing headphones oblivious to the world.   As you have no doubt worked it out it's another evil bit of the Sustrans NCN.

I'm guessing that the trike rider was probably a lady on (possibly - she has more than one machine) a green Longstaff? . . . I know her quite well - she did try to teach me to ride my Ken Rogers trike before I gave up and sold it about 6 or 7 years ago.

BTW - I have a Radar key (I'm entitled to one . . . although most key-cutters will flog you one)

Rob

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14222 on: 11 December, 2019, 10:14:19 pm »
I live just opposite The Greenway (at the Stratford end) but only use it on very, very rare occasions as the surface seems to be replenished quite frequently with what seems to be a mixture of very fine grit and cement!

The stuff I cleaned off my bike was light coloured and contained some surprisingly large grains.  Possibly cement-encrusted grit, or something?  I assume the surface turns into a dust bowl during the summer.

I'm guessing that the trike rider was probably a lady on (possibly - she has more than one machine) a green Longstaff? . . . I know her quite well - she did try to teach me to ride my Ken Rogers trike before I gave up and sold it about 6 or 7 years ago.

Sounds about right.  I was at the other end of the group and didn't get a decent look at the trike.

BTW - I have a Radar key (I'm entitled to one . . . although most key-cutters will flog you one)

Knock-offs on standard key blanks are convenient for keyrings and usually work for toilets, but sometimes you need the longer shaft (and high-leverage handle) of the proper keys for Silly Sustrans Gates™.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14223 on: 12 December, 2019, 09:16:20 am »
T42 - your neighbours chickens will love the mouse if they catch it. I've seen mine eat one in something that resembled a Tom and Jerry cartoon

It's currently cowshed-bound.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #14224 on: 14 December, 2019, 01:54:00 pm »
Fitted the dynamo taillight to a friend’s bike. He fitted the mudflaps. It all works and looks the part.

Finally wired up the dynamo tailight on HK’s Tripster commuter. She isn’t thrilled by the concept of dynamo taillights but I am.