Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331972 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #1200 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:32:14 pm »
I accidentally bought a tent. We collected it today but I haven't had time to pitch it yet. It's a second Good Companions Major, with a nylon fly sheet which is quite rare. It may turn into a donor tent or we may use it complete. I'm quite excited about it. The main difference with the nylon fly is that it has 2 zips which make it much more useable with a toddler.
Another Good Companion flysheet arrived chez nous... :)
Getting there...

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #1201 on: 26 May, 2016, 06:48:14 pm »
Having determined that my other half does indeed enjoy camping, we have upgraded from our £20 4 person Asda tent of last year to a much posher Decathlon Arpenaz Family 4.1 tent today.
How often does a man get the chance to buy his missus a swanky one bed bungalow eh?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

« Reply #1202 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:01:31 pm »
A (comparatively) cheap copy of the Themarest/LuxuryLite camp bed. It turned out to be 250g heavier than advertised, not that I intend it for bike packing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Outdoor-Aluminium-Portable-Camping/dp/B00WG14JQ2

« Reply #1203 on: 27 May, 2016, 10:07:58 pm »
Treated myself to a new exped downmat, my other was a used one and it's cream crackered. Also got an exped pillow too.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1204 on: 28 May, 2016, 02:50:50 am »
Having determined that my other half does indeed enjoy camping, we have upgraded from our £20 4 person Asda tent of last year to a much posher Decathlon Arpenaz Family 4.1 tent today.
How often does a man get the chance to buy his missus a swanky one bed bungalow eh?
That looks good. Might be a suitable tent to continue our (near) glamping experiments.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1205 on: 28 May, 2016, 12:33:15 pm »
That looks good. Might be a suitable tent to continue our (near) glamping experiments.

Looks broadly similar to the Quechua T4.1 that we use for barakta-friendly car camping, but with the porch on the end rather than the side: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37171.msg1551538#msg1551538

No complaints, especially given the price.  It's everything except lightweight.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #1206 on: 29 May, 2016, 02:13:30 am »
No complaints, especially given the price.  It's everything except lightweight.

My first thoughts on picking up the bag was that it may not be entirely suitable for cycle touring.

Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1207 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:44:09 pm »
A power charger.  For my Garmin, when I'm off camping, so I don't have to demand the presence of mcshroom every time I got on holiday.  I still don't have the miles from our Scottish holiday on Strava, or on my heatmap, which is annoying.

I might still demand mcshroom's presence, but he won't need to use his power charger on my stuff anyway.

One of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B016DA61V2/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_two?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=two_star&showViewpoints=0
Milk please, no sugar.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1208 on: 30 May, 2016, 10:56:16 pm »
Oh, and a schnozzel with flat valve adaptor to reduce the Downmat CPR stress at the end of a day's riding.
Milk please, no sugar.

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
« Reply #1209 on: 31 May, 2016, 07:15:56 am »
A whole 5 mm of 1mm coated Dyreema like cord which I plan to use with a re-purposed Camelbak bladder as a part of a lightweight gravity water filter. The setup is making use of a Sawyer water filter I have.  Should have a gravity water filter system coming in under 250grams once I have finished it.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #1210 on: 31 May, 2016, 10:45:34 am »
A power charger.  For my Garmin, when I'm off camping, so I don't have to demand the presence of mcshroom every time I got on holiday.  I still don't have the miles from our Scottish holiday on Strava, or on my heatmap, which is annoying.

I might still demand mcshroom's presence, but he won't need to use his power charger on my stuff anyway.

One of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B016DA61V2/ref=cm_cr_dp_hist_two?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=two_star&showViewpoints=0

They've come on a bit from when I bought mine a few years back. That's twice the capacity of my White Anker one :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #1211 on: 31 May, 2016, 11:48:31 am »

One of these:

They've come on a bit from when I bought mine a few years back. That's twice the capacity of my White Anker one :)
That is impressive. I have ones up to 20000 (allegedly), but 26000 is a week's worth of electrons.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1212 on: 01 June, 2016, 04:51:45 pm »
Oh, and a schnozzel with flat valve adaptor to reduce the Downmat CPR stress at the end of a day's riding.
This will change your life! :)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1213 on: 01 June, 2016, 05:55:49 pm »
Mental note: dig out barakta's Schnozzel for upcoming tour.  Or contrive to steal Wowbagger's.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #1214 on: 03 June, 2016, 06:28:01 am »
No, but it was a close thing. I visited Decathlon (Amsterdam Arena) and looked at Arpenaz Family 4.1 tent. Liked it but 1) couldn't be arsed to carry it to the car passed the screaming hordes queue for the Adele concert. b) Got distracted by the light weight tents (Quickhiker Ultralight 2) - may be a replacement for the coffin which would be lighter, more compact AND have room to move around in. iii) Trying not to buy stuff in NL then needing to move it to the UK.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1215 on: 03 June, 2016, 04:10:31 pm »
Mental note: dig out barakta's Schnozzel for upcoming tour.  Or contrive to steal Wowbagger's.

Filthy Schnozzel-swapping? WCPGW?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #1216 on: 04 June, 2016, 08:39:31 pm »
http://www.millets.co.uk/equipment/162660-eh-buckingham-8-elite.html
Beware wine and 0% credit.
Clearly not much use for cycle touring and I'm going to need 5 more children to justify it!
I should probably shut the PC down before I get lured onto ebay....
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #1217 on: 19 June, 2016, 10:50:20 am »
I've long needed a new sleeping bag as my current one is years old and getting a bit tatty, especially after spending an entire summer sleeping in it.

Popped into town and had a look around a couple shops. Best choice was in Millets in the end. I was intending to get a rectangular bag as I don't like my feet being constricted but whilst I found one for a tenner I also found the bag I ultimately got, a Vango Planet 50 which whilst £35 packs down to less than two-thirds of the size.

I got a few laughs from fellow shoppers by unpacking it and having a little lie down on the floor but it seems to have more foot room than my current bag despite still being a mummy bag and it allowed me to confirm that it is in fact possible to get it back into the stuff sack and down to the size it came in.

Thought I would risk it being a two season bag as I'm going to get a silk liner as well but it turns out my current bag is two season anyway so no loss there.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1218 on: 27 June, 2016, 11:17:42 pm »
We've bought some exped synmat 7 ultralite mats. Got them tonight and they're very light and small pack size. Also bought ALDI ultralight sleeping bags for £13 each. They zip together easily. Very light but very thin. Still good for summer and the price. May use with another very light.bag I have opened up with them joined.up. the second bag over the top would be more than warm enough. Makes for a light and low pack size setup for touring. The extra sleeping bag is even smaller pack size and a lot warmer.

Also got a wild country hoolie with the larger porch. What what a huge porch, big enough for bikes and kit I reckon. Lovely design with door on the side and two way doors on the porch end too. It's sheltered even when opened fully and you get a good view out. Not too heavy or bulky neither.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #1219 on: 28 June, 2016, 10:43:20 am »
Half a tent,

Well the inner. I bought a Wild Country Zephryos 1 a couple of years ago and have spent the time since thinking I should have bought the Zephryos 2 instead. It has the same outer, so called up Terra Nova (Wild Country) yesterday and bought the inner to the Zephryos 2. May be able to use the inner1 with a Tarp, and have a mate locally who has one I can look at.

I plan to use it on the 600 at the weekend and then on the 1200 in the Highlands in a month.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #1220 on: 30 June, 2016, 07:57:37 pm »
Not a Helinox. Seems ok, time will tell. Incidentally, larger rubber ferrules are available via the web.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1221 on: 30 June, 2016, 08:28:27 pm »
Looking forward to reducing the weight of my coffee kit I haul. I carry a 6 cup Berletti at the mo along with my Trangia. I'll downsize to my 15 yo Primus Multi Fuel stove and Ti pots/cups.

Anyway. This is what I got ordered today: https://snowpeak.com/products/collapsible_pour_over-cs-113

« Reply #1222 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:58:26 pm »
I may have made a mistake with the 'yellow' bargainous Blacks Octane 3 man purchased at half retail price. Took it out of the bag in the garden today with a view to setting up and clipping on the inner for use at the week end when I was attacked by zillions of Thrips (thunder flies). No wonder the tents were reduced in price.  ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #1223 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:12:16 pm »
I've  seen the same happen to someone with a bright yellow trailer cover. 

At least you'll keep them away from the rest of us  ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #1224 on: 04 July, 2016, 09:13:28 pm »
I may have made a mistake with the 'yellow' bargainous Blacks Octane 3 man purchased at half retail price. Took it out of the bag in the garden today with a view to setting up and clipping on the inner for use at the week end when I was attacked by zillions of Thrips (thunder flies). No wonder the tents were reduced in price.  ::-)

I nearly bought one of those!
Milk please, no sugar.