Author Topic: Etrex 20x shut down during ride  (Read 2030 times)

Etrex 20x shut down during ride
« on: 30 May, 2023, 02:09:18 pm »
My Etrex 20x, usually highly reliable, shut itself down 4-5 times on Sundays ride. Each time restarted okay, then turned itself off a few minutes later.

I swapped batteries mid ride, even though the installed ones showed two bars. That solved the problem for a few hours, then it happened again.

I use eneloops and an intelligent charger, although did have to replace my charger recently, so maybe a battery issue.

When I looked at the Etrex on my PC today I cleared out a load of archived files, but that still leaves only 318Mb free memory. Most of the memory is used by gmapprom which is 3.26Gb.

I tried comparing with my spare unit, but as it's an Etrex 20 (as opposed to 20x) it didn't have this file as the mapping is on it's SD card.

I'm thinking most likely a battery issue, so will try going back to my original charger which is now working again. Any other thoughts on possible cause & solution would be welcome.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Etrex 20x shut down during ride
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2023, 02:17:55 pm »
My Vista HCx developed a fault with those symptoms where the *internal* connection between the battery spring contacts and the copper pads on the PCB became intermittent when subject to vibration.  I was able to resolve this by cleaning the pads and re-bending the springs a bit, but if the copper is worn away bodge-wire my be required.

I've not seen the internals of the 10/20/30 series, but this shows the 10 has a similar spring contact arrangement: https://goughlui.com/2014/05/24/quick-review-teardown-garmin-etrex-10-handheld-gps/

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2023, 02:21:07 pm »
Same happened to mine a few years ago, and as Kim says, bending the contact springs solves the issue.
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2023, 04:39:10 pm »
I use a wodge of cardboard jammed between the batteries, and also insulating tape on the mount to make it a tighter fit.  One or both of those things solved my problem.

« Reply #4 on: 31 May, 2023, 07:32:10 am »
Not Etrex 20x, but the Vista HCx units I've also had issues with fractured battery contacts in the AA compartment, as well as the sprung internal board contacts.  AFAIUI your average 2500-3000mAh NiMH is physically larger than an alkaline AA so pressure on the contacts can vary depending on battery type &/or vibration level.  I ended up having about 4 Hcxs over the years with older units eventually being used for part donation...  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson