Author Topic: Home energy saving tips /ideas...  (Read 95436 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Home energy saving tips /ideas...
« Reply #275 on: 20 November, 2021, 05:25:02 pm »
*Buy* replacement drawers?  Just go for a walk around the streets of Selly Oak until you find the right model...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #276 on: 21 November, 2021, 11:00:02 am »
Brr, it was 13.4°C in the bedroom at kitty breakfast o'clock, and when I pointed the thermometer at the ceiling nearest the window it read 9°C.
Maybe I will be getting those flat roofs replaced after all (if HES are still doing 40% cashback).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #277 on: 24 November, 2021, 06:46:21 pm »
Currently 18C inside - OK with fleece on.

Relatively new thing, is shutting the kitchen door when the hob extractor fan is on, to cut down on warm house air loss...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #278 on: 24 November, 2021, 07:22:13 pm »
Further evidence that the Guardian is actually cobbled together from YACF threads: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/jan/14/cold-as-ice-how-to-stay-warm-without-whacking-up-the-heating
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #279 on: 29 November, 2021, 07:17:05 pm »
Finally got around to contacting HES last week and tonight to contacting 3 of the big insulation installers, so no doubt I will be getting spammed with phone calls tomorrow.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #280 on: 30 November, 2021, 04:38:11 pm »
Finally got around to contacting HES last week and tonight to contacting 3 of the big insulation installers, so no doubt I will be getting spammed with phone calls tomorrow.
Years ago, a friend of mine was after double glazing. He did lots of research and plumped on $DOUBLEGLAZING_CO.

By coincidence, shortly afterwards he got cold called by $DOUBLEGLAZING_CO.  He broke their script by trying to explain, yes, he actually did want to buy their product.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #281 on: 30 November, 2021, 04:57:44 pm »
We have a lovely llama wool blanket which lurks on the sofa.  It's deceptively thin.  I love to wrap myself in it when there is a slight chill.  So snuggly, soft and warm.

mllePB seems to prefer putting about thirty layers of clothing on instead.  Weird.  😇

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #282 on: 30 November, 2021, 06:22:09 pm »
While the man who was installing our bathroom and kitchen extraction was out today I clambered up on the worktop to inspect the GBFO holes in the wall and ascertained that our cavity is 70mm deep.
And so far only 1 of the 3 companies I contacted has been in touch, to tell me they're not doing CWI right now. Weird.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #283 on: 07 December, 2021, 01:43:17 pm »
70mm is narrow but not so narrow that it's officially hard to treat. So it might be in the intermediate category of A Bloody Nuisance?

Save energy bills by having a boiler inadequate to cope with the prevailing conditions. It's 16.8 degrees in here, and falling.

Not especially helpful or mature

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #284 on: 07 December, 2021, 01:48:28 pm »
I need to whack the wooden top off the sun porches dwarf walls to have a look at whether I can stuff some insulation in or going to need to put in more modern insulated plaster board stuff.

Also think i need to do the floor, ideally before I'm bankrupt from trying to stop the stuff in it freezing (which includes me at tea time)

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #285 on: 07 December, 2021, 03:26:59 pm »
After my rummage under the floor boards on Saturday I'm not convinced that either CWI or underfloor insulation are necessarily a good idea given the damp solum.

Still haven't heard from 2 of the 3 companies I contacted either.

« Reply #286 on: 07 December, 2021, 03:31:30 pm »
Is your underfloor area vented (It should have airbricks).

A membrane, stapled under the flooring joists, will help prevent drafts. Next step up from that is insulation above the membrane, between each joist.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #287 on: 07 December, 2021, 04:16:50 pm »

A membrane, stapled under the flooring joists, will help prevent drafts. Next step up from that is insulation above the membrane, between each joist.

Why not just the Kingspan type panel insulation?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #288 on: 07 December, 2021, 04:33:53 pm »
After my rummage under the floor boards on Saturday I'm not convinced that either CWI or underfloor insulation are necessarily a good idea given the damp solum.

Still haven't heard from 2 of the 3 companies I contacted either.

Solum - had to look that up . . . must find a way to bring that into conversations  ;D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #289 on: 07 December, 2021, 04:35:10 pm »

Have a look at Gosforth Handyman on YT - he's doing up an old house did a video on installing insulation under the floorboards a couple of months ago.

« Reply #290 on: 07 December, 2021, 04:53:19 pm »
I like diagrams..Also link below starts with ' What can go wrong' Recommendation is for vapour permeable insulation as up thread.

I did our kitchen floor with 100 mm of  foamed in Kingspan  - it's bone dry underneath tho' and I installed a highly effective vapour barrier between it and the underfloor heating.

I'm considering insulating under the lounge and will next time follow this guide:-

https://www.eco-home-essentials.co.uk/underfloor-insulation.html

« Reply #291 on: 07 December, 2021, 04:59:36 pm »

Have a look at Gosforth Handyman on YT - he's doing up an old house did a video on installing insulation under the floorboards a couple of months ago.

I have been using the exact same method as Gosforth Handyman and it works well imo.  We have enough space for 100mm insulation and we have a mix of brands according to what was available from the merchants at the time.  I have used battens across the underside of the joists to retain the insulation in place and these are fixed in place with screws.  I didn't want the possibility of nails creeping slowly out over the years.

We believe that it has made a significant difference to the warmth of the house.  Our hallway in particular was a very cold place but an inner and an outer front door and underfloor insulation has made it quite toasty.  We do not have any heating there but you wouldn't know it.

« Reply #292 on: 07 December, 2021, 05:26:36 pm »
Here is mine before the new floor went down, I was quite particular about vapour and draught proofing

« Reply #293 on: 07 December, 2021, 05:29:33 pm »
kingspan is also a pig to fit if you aren't taking up the floorboards, and only have access via a small hatch.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #294 on: 07 December, 2021, 05:34:47 pm »
This is from my link above - I don't know how anyone could insulate without lifting the floor

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #295 on: 07 December, 2021, 06:51:44 pm »
Yes, there are air vents.
No, I'm not lifting the floor, or GAMI to lift it, it's too much disruption.
Having been rummaging around in the damp there's no danger I'm putting Kingspan anywhere near it.
Not sure a membrane on it's own to stop draughts will help much as the place is mostly carpeted.
I didn't realise you needed a membrane on top as well as underneath the insulation. I'm rapidly going off the idea. Sigh.

« Reply #296 on: 07 December, 2021, 07:50:34 pm »
At least the picture helped explain wot is needed.
Top vapour barrier is to prevent 'interstitial condensation' I do like that word . :)

« Reply #297 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:00:14 am »
Yes, there are air vents.
No, I'm not lifting the floor, or GAMI to lift it, it's too much disruption.
Having been rummaging around in the damp there's no danger I'm putting Kingspan anywhere near it.
Not sure a membrane on it's own to stop draughts will help much as the place is mostly carpeted.
I didn't realise you needed a membrane on top as well as underneath the insulation. I'm rapidly going off the idea. Sigh.

You don't have to have a membrane on top and it can be done from below the floor.

If you have carpet, I'm not sure you'll gain a lot - a membrane below will reduce draft but there probably isn't much of a draft getting through the carpet.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #298 on: 08 December, 2021, 10:43:24 am »
Carpets with cats? Insanity. Thus says the man whose first act this morning was cleaning cat sick off the guest room carpet. I wish we'd had wood upstairs too.

Our wood floor downstairs (engineered hardwood) is laid on top of some kind of 'thermal screed' (it's concrete below) and isn't cold on naked tootsies (though it is wood, so not particularly conductive). The step onto the kitchen tile on the other hand – or rather foot...

« Reply #299 on: 08 December, 2021, 01:10:38 pm »
You don't have to have a membrane on top and it can be done from below the floor.
I disagree, and so do the experts.
You may not be concerned about reducing the effectiveness of the insulation by allowing air leakage, but you may be concerned if your joists rot. Of course mostly you will get away with it, but why bother with half a job?