Author Topic: Sh!te courier thread  (Read 143228 times)

Re: Sh!te courier thread
« Reply #575 on: 31 March, 2021, 04:08:46 pm »
APC ‘Overnight’, you are so ironic.

Poor woman I spoke to at the call centre had no way of telling me whether my consignment (a bed) was out for delivery today (rearranged at not inconsiderable effort because they insist on a signature: I’ve taken the day WFH but it’s not arrived yet...). I infer from this that they don’t actually have a functioning tracking system.  What the actual fuck?!?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #576 on: 02 April, 2021, 12:41:38 pm »
Hermes are going to surcharge me again for sending an oversize parcel...I measured it carefully and it was just inside the 245cm limit.  I might challenge them this time, as they try it on every now and then.  Once was on a return to Golden Age Cycles, and the rogue who runs it wouldn't refund me even though it was HIS box and HIS choice of courier.  I won't return eBay stuff without a seller-provided label now.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #577 on: 02 April, 2021, 12:46:26 pm »
Hermes are going to surcharge me again for sending an oversize parcel...I measured it carefully and it was just inside the 245cm limit.

Presumably it was slightly over after they'd finished squashing it.

Anyway, credit where it's due.  I got an email yesterday containing a photo of barakta's feet and the parcel carefully positioned so as not to show the big hole next to the 'fragile' tape before she'd even closed the door.  This promptness no doubt helped by the tracking system still operating on GMT.

« Reply #578 on: 02 April, 2021, 12:51:40 pm »
I can't be doing with couriers delivering a day early.  WTF is going on? 

My Herpes for the record ...

Parcel farce still delivering late round here though.  The balance has to come somewhere.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #579 on: 02 April, 2021, 02:14:17 pm »

A friend is sending me a gift from the UK. Parcel tracking has Hermes having picked it up from the parcel shop on the 22nd...

And no further updates...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #580 on: 02 April, 2021, 05:11:59 pm »
I can't be doing with couriers delivering a day early.  WTF is going on? 
My Herpes for the record ...
Parcel farce still delivering late round here though.  The balance has to come somewhere.

Only ONE day early? You was ROBBED!

On Monday, D ordered Stuffs from Am*z*n, went for FREE! Standard Delivery & was given Thursday as delivery date.
Arrived Tuesday via Am*z*n Logistics.

« Reply #581 on: 29 April, 2021, 01:47:18 pm »

Tracking an Amazon parcel that DPD are delivering. This makes no sense whatsoever even allowing for time zone differences.

Tuesday, 27 April
  6:03 PM
    Parcel left the carrier facility
    US
  4:23 PM
    Completed customs clearance process
    GB
  1:51 PM
    Initiated customs clearance process
    GB
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #582 on: 29 April, 2021, 01:49:25 pm »
Had a nice email from seller of THING. "Hi! Your THING is being made". So how come it has already been delivered?

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #583 on: 29 April, 2021, 02:39:14 pm »
Not exactly a courier issue - more one of picking at the supplier . . .    ordered 2 items (the same) via ebay from a supplier I have used before.   Package arrived promptly but with only 1 of the items.

Sent a message to the supplier - they replied demanding "a photograph to prove that one item was missing" .... err, that doesn't make a lot of sense.   

Anyway sent a pic of the one item and the packaging . .  where the weight marked on the RM label made it obvious that only one item could have been sent.   There was initial questioning of my integrity by the supplier - "we can't just take anyone's word"

OK - but for an item that is priced at £3.    Allegedly the missing item is being sent today.

« Reply #584 on: 29 April, 2021, 06:32:10 pm »
I have a friend who runs a high quality special award and memento type ebay shop.  He is ripped off all the time.  He factors it into the cost but perhaps your supplier cannot.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #585 on: 29 April, 2021, 09:46:13 pm »
Had a nice email from seller of THING. "Hi! Your THING is being made". So how come it has already been delivered?

Somebody is wondering where their THING is.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #586 on: 29 April, 2021, 10:00:18 pm »

Tracking an Amazon parcel that DPD are delivering. This makes no sense whatsoever even allowing for time zone differences.

Tuesday, 27 April
    US
    GB
    GB

Maybe that last entry went into the system a long time after the event: customs clearance initiated 1.51, completed 4.23 makes sense to me...

« Reply #587 on: 29 April, 2021, 10:27:52 pm »

Tuesday, 27 April
    US
    GB
    GB

Maybe that last entry went into the system a long time after the event: customs clearance initiated 1.51, completed 4.23 makes sense to me...

Maybe. Its the parcel left carrier in the US after it cleared UK customs that gets me since its coming from the US to the UK.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #588 on: 30 April, 2021, 12:06:20 pm »

Tuesday, 27 April
    US
    GB
    GB

Maybe. Its the parcel left carrier in the US after it cleared UK customs that gets me since its coming from the US to the UK.

Steph may be able to help with this but, AIUI, some of the larger postal/courier systems do the UK customs stuff before items are dispatched.  The wonders of modern technology.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #589 on: 30 April, 2021, 12:20:47 pm »
Have to say FedEx were excellent with the most recent parcel.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #590 on: 30 April, 2021, 12:22:17 pm »
Still having problems with couriers dumping items in the workshop or by the front door without notifying anyone

However today we had a parcel dropped off by UPS which was sent in January. Coming from abroad had all the fun with customs and then got the our local distributor in Feb but then qent on a tour of the country and got lost

Sender has resent and claimed but the parts finally turned up. Oddly says the address was wrong on the tracking but all details on the box are correct and the replacement landed in about 4 days

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #591 on: 14 May, 2021, 09:52:57 am »
Well that’s a novel approach. I’d received the usual text notifications from the Royal Mail that they had a parcel for me which would be delivered between 9.03 and 1.03 and that it needed to,be signed for. All good because I’m expecting a parcel. Came out 0f the bathroom to find postie had been with letters being on the floor. Ok, so I checked outside on the porch, no parcel. I’m just having a coffee and I get another text from RM saying that they’ve delivered my parcel. You have? I think and I’m on my way to the front doo to see if I’d missed it on the porch or something and I’m just about to click through to the tracking to see if there’s any information. Then the doorbell rings. I open the door almost immediately because, as noted above, I was on my way to the door already. I see the departing back of the postie* as he disappears down the drive. Odd. I look down and on the doorstep is the needs to be signed for parcel for which I received the delivered notification 4 minutes ago. </rant>

*Im not sure if it’s the same chap but the postie is doing strange things at the moment. He arrives at our end of the road in his van and then wanders around with a sack of letters, posting them through everyone’s door. Then 20 or 30 minutes later he then does the same route with a sack of smallish parcels. I don’t know if this is a personal initiative by this one particular postie or if it’s a clever effort saving ruse developed as the brainchild of a newly appointed MBA somewhere.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #592 on: 14 May, 2021, 12:34:52 pm »
Anecdotally, they appear to be handling the stuff that won't fit through letterboxes separately.  Probably makes the delivery round times more consistent, though whether that's actually a benefit is unclear.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #593 on: 14 May, 2021, 12:58:53 pm »
Well that’s a novel approach. I’d received the usual text notifications from the Royal Mail that they had a parcel for me which would be delivered between 9.03 and 1.03 and that it needed to,be signed for. All good because I’m expecting a parcel. Came out 0f the bathroom to find postie had been with letters being on the floor. Ok, so I checked outside on the porch, no parcel. I’m just having a coffee and I get another text from RM saying that they’ve delivered my parcel. You have? I think and I’m on my way to the front doo to see if I’d missed it on the porch or something and I’m just about to click through to the tracking to see if there’s any information. Then the doorbell rings. I open the door almost immediately because, as noted above, I was on my way to the door already. I see the departing back of the postie* as he disappears down the drive. Odd. I look down and on the doorstep is the needs to be signed for parcel for which I received the delivered notification 4 minutes ago. </rant>

*Im not sure if it’s the same chap but the postie is doing strange things at the moment. He arrives at our end of the road in his van and then wanders around with a sack of letters, posting them through everyone’s door. Then 20 or 30 minutes later he then does the same route with a sack of smallish parcels. I don’t know if this is a personal initiative by this one particular postie or if it’s a clever effort saving ruse developed as the brainchild of a newly appointed MBA somewhere.

That's precisely what our man is doing - it's quicker to get rid of all the letters (more letterboxes) first and then parcels with fewer drops - he parks his van at the top of the road, walks the letters and back to his van - then moves the van  down the road a few times as parcel drops are made.

What will be interesting is when the RM pick-up mail service gets started in any volume and the impact on mail delivery times during the day . . . .  I walked to the post box this morning (renewal for my bus pass if you must know!) but that could have been picked up by the postman.

« Reply #594 on: 14 May, 2021, 01:32:10 pm »
CitySprint. My Wickes order originally said the delivery slot was 7am to 7pm. I wake this morning to find a text saying it'll be with me between 8am and 1pm. Right, so we can't do our morning Tesco run but at least that narrows it down.

Of course it's still not here though I've just had a text saying "it's on the way". Great, had I known it was actually an afternoon delivery we'd have done the shopping already and I'd have had croissants for breakfast. Now I've got to go shopping on my own after you eventually deliver.

Boo.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #595 on: 14 May, 2021, 02:10:19 pm »
Aaaand it's arrived and it's not all there. And the driver just dropped it on the concrete path with little care. Luckily I can hide the marks on the underside/inside.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #596 on: 15 May, 2021, 03:38:58 pm »

Despite me being home all day, staying in intentionally so that I would be here for my parcel. DHL didn't even bother to ring the door bell. So now I have to wait until Monday afternoon to be able to pick up my box of tools. Argh.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #597 on: 15 May, 2021, 06:28:23 pm »
Back when my eldest offspring lived in studentland, the local Hermes courier regularly didn't even make a pretense of trying to deliver; she'd drive round in a small parcel-less car, sneaking up to houses and posting the "sorry we missed you" card. One time he heard the letter box, opened the door, and saw her literally running to her car and refusing to reply It took many complaints before that was sorted and they got a new local driver.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #598 on: 15 May, 2021, 09:38:49 pm »
I think many companies are substituting a parcel doorstep photo for a signature.

Several firms seem to be messaging 'arrived/delivered' texts a few minutes before taxi/parcel/letter materialise.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #599 on: 15 May, 2021, 11:23:58 pm »
I think many companies are substituting a parcel doorstep photo for a signature.

Several firms seem to be messaging 'arrived/delivered' texts a few minutes before taxi/parcel/letter materialise.
The better ones seem to need an opened door in the doorstep photo. The RM aren’t in this category.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.