Author Topic: 360 degree camera suggestions?  (Read 1402 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
360 degree camera suggestions?
« on: 25 September, 2023, 03:39:26 pm »
I am looking for suggestions regarding a 360 degree camera for work inspections.

An example might be inserting a camera on a stick into a pipe about 100-200mm diameter and perhaps 2 metres long and then trying to photograph a room or void at the end of the pipe. Waterproofness and robustness is a must. Integral lighting and the ability to attach a tether would be good.

Best option I found after a cursory glance looks to be a GoPro Max but I have not held one in my hand yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: 360 degree camera suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September, 2023, 04:49:03 am »
Insta 360 seems to get good reviews. It is longer thinner shape, probably easier to fit in a pipe.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 26 September, 2023, 01:40:06 pm »
It looks like I need to daisy-chain a 360 light and the camera on a long decent selfie stick (>=2m) with the camera to have something useable in low light situations.

Any suggestions for a suitable light, a long stick and a method to daisy-chain them together? Some 360 cameras seem to need a 'frame', some use a GoPro-type mount and some use the standard camera 1/4" threaded hole/ stud arrangement.

Most of the cameras appear to be very streamlined with no obvious way to attach a tether to the camera itself. I am slightly concerned about retrieving the camera if the stick/ mount breaks/ snags. Am I overly concerned about a non-issue?

« Reply #3 on: 26 September, 2023, 04:10:12 pm »
Almost all are designed around a tripod mount which would provide the security you're looking for. Use a bush  with suitable converters to provide an intermediate step, bushes are typically provided to adapt threads, just adapt twice.

« Reply #4 on: 26 September, 2023, 05:48:14 pm »
Obviously missing the point here, but why wouldn't a drain inspection cameras work.
Screwfix use to sell one but I haven't looked recently

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5 on: 26 September, 2023, 05:50:12 pm »
I have a cheap borescope already but want better resolution, particularly of larger voids. With international inspections, it is easier to have recreational cameras in my carry-on than more industrial-looking kit.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 17 October, 2023, 02:09:10 pm »
I think I will just strap a couple of 'be seen' battery headlights to the selfie stick to illuminate the void sufficiently for the camera.

The ideal would be a LED light with integral battery and 1/4" threads top and bottom fitted between the selfie stick and the Insta360 ONE X2 but I am having trouble finding such a beast.