Author Topic: Nostalgia-fest for computer geeks - coming soon to a small screen near you  (Read 2707 times)

I think I'd quite like to see this, even though I'm not a computer geek, if only for the 80's Newsround clips and memories of the 'computer room' at school and playing frogger run from a cassette.

Battle between ZX Spectrum and BBC Micro to be BBC4 comedy drama |
            Media |
            guardian.co.uk

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
I'll watch this just for the nostalgia value too (that led me to know commands in a long defunct computer language: JINEG, JIZERO etc).

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Should be a short program. The BBC Micro was miles ahead . . . . . .

Runs away fingers in ears . . .  La La LA la
Owner of a languishing Langster

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.

But there was only ever one decent game for the beeb.  And I'm not talking Hungry Horace here.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!

Absolutely should have been at £399 with 32k of memory compared to £175 for a top-end Spectrum with 48k that had loads more software available. I guess most of the money went on the case, keyboard and the irritating BBC show that endlessly plugged it.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

LEE

Former Speccy-owner here.

Who needs a BASIC manual when all the commands are printed on the keys?

Simply a matter of pressing ALT-SHIFT-INSERT with your fingers, CAPS-BACKSPACE-E with your toes and then the RETURN key with your nose and you had the GOTO command.

Genius, I mean it would have taken forever to actually type it.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
Former Speccy-owner here.

Who needs a BASIC manual when all the commands are printed on the keys?

Simply a matter of pressing ALT-SHIFT-INSERT with your fingers, CAPS-BACKSPACE-E with your toes and then the RETURN key with your nose and you had the GOTO command.

Genius, I mean it would have taken forever to actually type it.

GOTO? Ugh. 

At least BBC BASIC was structured
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

The Beeb was designed to be expandable, the Spectrum was designed to be as cheap as possible to manufacture.

Guess which one was preferred by hackers (the old kind, not the more modern meaning).
Actually, it is rocket science.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
GOTO for the everlovin' win.  Speccy boy here, and I still mourn the dead-flesh keyboard.  Sure, the Beeb was technically better, but I don't care.  The Speccy had Jetpac and that was enough. 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Please load this time. Please load this time. Please load this time. Please load this time. Please load this time.
Please load this time. Please load this time. Please load this time. Please load this time. Please load this time.

Dammit!!! You steaming pile of shite!!!!!!!!
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

The Beeb was designed to be expandable, the Spectrum was designed to be as cheap as possible to manufacture.

Guess which one was preferred by hackers (the old kind, not the more modern meaning).

I was young enough to read the electronics but not to afford to build stuff to go on the back, but my memory is that the spectrum basically exposed most of the CPU pins round the back, which seems pretty hacker friendly to me.

I only got to play with BBCs at school, and didn't get to do anything so much more interesting with the supposed technical superiority than with my spectrum. I do remember a lot of fairly lunatic basic with embedded hex machine code on the spectrum though. Goto / gosub with names was quite possible too, if you defined the names somewhere sensible, for a hint of structure. Ah, those were the days :)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Also former speccy owner.

I learned to hack the boot loader programs to bypass the copy protection. At least I did as far as the first generation to use undocumented opcodes of the z80 micro. The next generation got too large to reverse engineer in a reasonable time - I found I was spending more time decoding the program than playing the game :-)

I also built an analogue Input Output board, and created squiggly lines on the screen representing analogue voltages.

I also had zx microdrives an' stuff. I think the whole lot is still in the loft, affixed to a wooden board. Not gonna bring it down till I've got grandkids who are 10. Wonder if I'll still be able to hook it up to a telly then? Will they still have analogue tuners?

AHh - them were the days.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
GOTO for the everlovin' win.  Speccy boy here, and I still mourn the dead-flesh keyboard.  Sure, the Beeb was technically better, but I don't care.  The Speccy had Jetpac and that was enough.  
I had my deadflesh keyboard fixed because the plastic bit underneath stopped working and all the text had worn off the keys.

R Tape Loading Error - (0:1)  >:(

Talking about the pins being exposed on the back, I had a Tandy TRS-80
It had a connector on the back with all the bus pins - being the geeky sort I bought the correct edge connector and a ribbon cable to connect to it. Tandy even produced a manual with the entire circuit diagram of the computer - where would you see that these days?

Two mods I made to mine
a) from an article in Byte, it turned out they used a character generator capable of displaying lower case characters, but had skipped on the RAM chips, so only had seven instead of eight. Solder in another RAM chip on a 'piggyback' and you had lower case

b) I bought a yea old Teletype printer surplus from the Post Office for a fiver. The sort of thing which I guess was used to send telexes - very, very heavy. Not a KSR-33 or anything, this was solid metal, and used a roll of paper. I typed in a program listing which translated ASCII to the Baudot code the thing talked - and to get the signals out the program tweaked the cassette outlet at the correct rate, which in turn was hooked up to a huge transformer which swung the Teletype magnet.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
Oh yes - I remember. Dropped cassette connector onto edge connector - little spark -dead speccy.

Sent it back with a "don't know why" message. Got my 16K replaced with a 48K for free.

Now that was service.

robbo6

I was going out with girls.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
We had an Acorn Electron and we used to buy computing magazines and type out pages and pages of code to make games which then had to be loaded onto a tape, because the computer only had 32kb RAM. I loved Frogger and Hedgehog and Twin Kingdom Valley (never finished it) but I was less keen on Elite.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

I came into computing late, when the spectrum was on the way out.

I was quick at programming, but really struggled on the spectrum as I kept forgetting just to press "g" instead of typing goto (to call a structured program code section).

As a result every time I went to a friends the program would be full of "ggoto" commands  :-[

I still play "Bombjack" on my PC with my Speccy 48k emulator.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
I had a ZX81. Typed a program out of a magazine to play battleships, then had to leave the machine on for 3 days as I didn't have a tape recorder.  ;D

Had a Spectrum and wrote a program to play Whist. I won.

Then I used it to analyse the weekly sales for the place I worked in and printed the report out on the shiny metallic toilet paper. Used to take it into work on Monday, reporting a full day faster than the head office computer could do it.

Then I got a QL. Which was nice.
It is simpler than it looks.