Author Topic: Bought any camping gear today?  (Read 331861 times)

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Bought any camping gear today?
« Reply #300 on: 29 June, 2011, 09:52:18 am »
Is it your plan to buy a new tent every time you go camping?
Getting there...

« Reply #301 on: 29 June, 2011, 12:34:28 pm »

Works for me. 3 annual family camping trips and 3 tents. We now have one for every duration, location and situation!
Will be interested to see how you get on with the Vango Airbeam as that's on the list for next year!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #302 on: 29 June, 2011, 02:47:37 pm »

Works for me. 3 annual family camping trips and 3 tents. We now have one for every duration, location and situation!
Will be interested to see how you get on with the Vango Airbeam as that's on the list for next year!
we've just got an 8 man airbeam and it goes up in minutes with little effort for anyone acquainted with using a track pump. not used it in anger yet, but looking forward to it…
she was quite innocent, 'till she got that bicycle - sykurmolanir

« Reply #303 on: 29 June, 2011, 03:41:17 pm »

we've just got an 8 man airbeam and it goes up in minutes with little effort for anyone acquainted with using a track pump. not used it in anger yet, but looking forward to it…

Can't wait for the full field report!
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #304 on: 29 June, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

Maybe he has to, as he's never learned how to strike camp and pack it back into the bag.

I'll nip past the racecourse and see if there's one still up...  ;)
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #305 on: 29 June, 2011, 07:14:37 pm »
Just ordered a couple of replacement o-rings and a webbing strap for my Trangia, which were damaged during a weekend of progressive Trangia incompetence.

These arrived today and my Trangia is now fully armed and operational.   :demon:

« Reply #306 on: 29 June, 2011, 07:43:10 pm »
My 12 year old Trangia 27 is a trusty companion, battered & stained though it is.

I keep looking at the 27-1 HA with something close to lust though, it's smooth and shiny and sexy... :P

But they don't import it to the UK, so I will remain faithful.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #307 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »
i'll probably get slated in here for saying so, but we got some tent carpet today, and a carabiner to allow us to hang anything from the central loop…

« Reply #308 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:27:50 pm »
i'll probably get slated in here for saying so, but we got some tent carpet today, and a carabiner to allow us to hang anything from the central loop…

Tent carpet ??  :o

« Reply #309 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:29:57 pm »

Well that laminate stuff looks so tacky...... ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #310 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:32:19 pm »

I'm imagining a fine Bedouin type Persian rug...

I reckoned that was what Jogler and Marj needed in their caravan awning, to complete the luxury.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #311 on: 29 June, 2011, 08:54:39 pm »
we do have an eco-friendly breathable awning carpet but decided to rough it on this occassion & left it in the garage

« Reply #312 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:12:01 am »

it's more of a large picnic rug, but i guess the marketing people thought carpet was more sellable…

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #313 on: 30 June, 2011, 11:53:08 am »
Alec - these days, the really stylish glampers are going with laminate downstairs and luxuriant loose rugs and cushions upstairs...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #314 on: 30 June, 2011, 12:00:41 pm »
I took delivery of an Alpkit Numo sleeping mat today.  It came recommended by a couple of folk as  supremely comfortable and light weight (500g) -  first impressions seem to confirm this. All for £40.

« Reply #315 on: 30 June, 2011, 12:03:37 pm »
ooh, I've been tempted to get one of them, too. But given that I slept soundly and snored my way right through the night in Comrie, it's hard to argue that I need one!

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #316 on: 30 June, 2011, 12:04:04 pm »
Alec - these days, the really stylish glampers are going with laminate downstairs and luxuriant loose rugs and cushions upstairs...

But how are you meant to get those on your bike???

Let alone in a backpack!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #317 on: 30 June, 2011, 12:10:30 pm »
So passe!  The latest thing is for quarry tiling throughout in all the best tents.
Getting there...

« Reply #318 on: 30 June, 2011, 12:44:48 pm »
anyone know the largest sized plasma tv that can be hung without ripping the tent fabric? ;)

actually, the glampingest thing i saw in go outdoors yesterday was an outwell tent which had a separate portaloo attachment…

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #319 on: 30 June, 2011, 01:19:49 pm »
anyone know the largest sized plasma tv that can be hung without ripping the tent fabric? ;)

actually, the glampingest thing i saw in go outdoors yesterday was an outwell tent which had a separate portaloo attachment…

I'm not sure if that is really glamping... it's been a fairly common sight on campsites for some years.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #320 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:42:55 pm »
ooh, I've been tempted to get one of them, too. But given that I slept soundly and snored my way right through the night in Comrie, it's hard to argue that I need one!

Yes, but it's light enough for me to take it round on my 600 this weekend.  Meaning that I should be able to get a comfy kip at the 450km stage :D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #321 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:53:58 pm »

I'm glad I am not the only one with this dirty little secret.

I've always camped very light.  When I first camped with my other half, she insisted on an upgrade to something a little larger.  We went with a North Face Fortress 23 - it's got a lobby and everything, but still just about light enough to take on the tandem touring.

But now she's had enough of not being able to stand up, cooking squatted down on the ground (especially when raining) etc. and has insisted on something larger for a forthcoming trip (not cycle touring), proper chairs, a table, blow up matress etc.

I don't know what my world has come to, but I now own one of these http://www.vango.co.uk/tents/calisto-400.html (just for the two of us!) along with it's carpet!

I feel dirty.  She's even talking about taking pans NOT MADE OF TITANIUM!!!!!!!!

(there is, of course, part of me that looks forward to camping in relative luxury - but I can't possibly let Cass know this!).
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #322 on: 30 June, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »
I'm still going to eat straight out of whatever pans she does take, using a titanium spork though! ;D
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #323 on: 30 June, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »
mrs. jogler is moving in the opposite direction.Because she won't tow the caravan & I'm riding there(Tan Hill),we are both kipping inna tent for the first time in years this weekend.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #324 on: 30 June, 2011, 03:05:11 pm »
Get a bigger battery and she can drive the caravan there :)