Author Topic: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith  (Read 78873 times)

Re: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith
« Reply #425 on: 24 September, 2019, 02:09:24 pm »
For the sake of completeness:

WRAA*-record holder Miles Smith added two more tries:

Starting at the beginning of September, restarting last week. Both attempts were over after ~3 days, first stopped after a (minor) accident, second because of health issues.

According to Miles, the mileages ridden were impressive each time, but are unfortunately partly untraceable due to diverse technical problems.

Nevertheless he's planning to be going out again ASAP.  ::-)

https://de-de.facebook.com/GoMilesAU/

*world-record-attempt-announcements
Miles (I 'follow' him on facebook) claims quite incredible distances, but can never back the claims up with electronic recording. Averaging 550km per day.  He did have a post up where he claimed 750km in 24hours (was going for some 24hr record on a MTB), but that seems to have disappeared.
It is always the fault of the electronics.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

S2L

« Reply #426 on: 24 September, 2019, 02:32:14 pm »
Sounds like he needs to grow up and stop seeking attention...  ::-)

« Reply #427 on: 24 September, 2019, 06:39:27 pm »
I'm not that surprised that Miles keeps trying. It just seems to be his nature. What I don't get, is why he hasn't nailed down the GPS issues. We all had problems with GPS recordings and that always seems to be his main problem. And perhaps an over reliance on trains?
I reckon Amanda's record is beatable with a slower riding speed than hers. After all, I rode further than she did in the first two months (but only just) even though from day 1 I was on a constant decline until I treated my sleep apnoea.

« Reply #428 on: 25 September, 2019, 01:10:19 pm »
I'm not that surprised that Miles keeps trying. It just seems to be his nature. What I don't get, is why he hasn't nailed down the GPS issues. We all had problems with GPS recordings and that always seems to be his main problem. And perhaps an over reliance on trains?
I reckon Amanda's record is beatable with a slower riding speed than hers. After all, I rode further than she did in the first two months (but only just) even though from day 1 I was on a constant decline until I treated my sleep apnoea.
Coastal Australia tends to have *very* predictable and reliable winds. They are almost like tides, with strong winds morning in one direction, a lull, then a strong wind the other direction. Miles was taking full advantage of these combined with a train.

His addiction to pushing insane gears isn't doing him any favours. He has blown an achilles tendon and now can barely walk. Not for the first time.

The HAMR isn't just about being able to ride a long way. It is about surviving.

Oh, and Miles has freely admitted having issues using his phone and facebook. So sorting out GPS is probably beyond him. Needs a support crew!
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Phil W

« Reply #429 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:00:53 pm »
Bit like Bruce he's not very good at accepting advice and sees it as an attack on his abilities. So he never adjusts what he's doing so the technology woes continue.  But he also strikes me as someone who is not very good at admin, and also doesn't recognise the need to follow basic rules of the challenge, which also contributes to the chaotic nature of his attempts.

« Reply #430 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:56:51 pm »
Fixing GPS issues would be counterproductive for Miles:
It would make it too obvious that he rides much less than he claims!  ;D

His main problem is neither technics nor health nor public transport nor whatever: His main problem is his (self-)delusion.

Strange guy!

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #431 on: 19 February, 2020, 06:17:55 pm »
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit