Author Topic: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith  (Read 77329 times)

Re: [HAMR] A new challenger - Miles Smith
« Reply #400 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »
... at least he seems to be quick... I think you need to be quick for this kind of record... speed buy you rest time... if you can do 360 km a day spending 12 hours or less on the saddle, it's a good start

Yes, average speed around 20 miles/ hour looks good. But he gets there by cycling south, taking a train north, cycling south, taking a train north ...
I expect the hours lost in trains are not oughtweighed by the benefits of a continous tailwind.

And I don't expect Miles to have really checked if this strategy pays off.

« Reply #401 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:39:15 pm »
Sounds like a bit of a dildo.

But best of luck to him.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #402 on: 05 July, 2018, 03:45:36 pm »
My limited input .. not sure that he has sufficient brain cells to work out just how hard it will be to keep riding day after day for 365 days. Not just the riding .. the eating , sleeping etc etc

Have not heard anything about a support team .. I might put a query out with my melbourne audax contacts to find out some more and report back
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

whosatthewheel

« Reply #403 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:01:29 pm »
A season ticket round there must be cheap...

« Reply #404 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:03:33 pm »
UMCA's negligent examination

To be fair, UMCA is a volunteer organisation and has a dwindling number of members and active volunteers running the web site. AFAIK, there are only two who actually keep the records up to date and unless someone tells them what is going on, they will not be aware. At one time UMCA had the manpower to check around the ultra racing circuit, but no longer.

« Reply #405 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:31:46 pm »

I was sad enough to look it up, and for 365 days I think it was about 1300AUD for unlimited trips between Melbourne and Seymour. Each train trip takes about an hour and the train runs 1-2 times an hour so he could lose up to 2 hours if he arrives at the station a few minutes after a train has departed. Though I suppose he can also sleep, eat and do other stuff in that time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #406 on: 05 July, 2018, 04:36:30 pm »

I was sad enough to look it up, and for 365 days I think it was about 1300AUD for unlimited trips between Melbourne and Seymour. Each train trip takes about an hour and the train runs 1-2 times an hour so he could lose up to 2 hours if he arrives at the station a few minutes after a train has departed. Though I suppose he can also sleep, eat and do other stuff in that time.
... like ride his bike??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #407 on: 05 July, 2018, 11:06:28 pm »

AFAIK, there are only two who actually keep the records up to date and unless someone tells them what is going on, they will not be aware. At one time UMCA had the manpower to check around the ultra racing circuit, but no longer.

It's simple: Don't announce, what you can not really do. I perfectly understand that a volunteer organisation has limited ressources. But if you can't thoroughly supervise a record attempt, you should not pretend you could.

And I am afraid that Miles Smith will definitely need laborious examination to comprehensibly keep track of his attempt.

« Reply #408 on: 05 July, 2018, 11:13:20 pm »
But if you can't thoroughly supervise a record attempt, you should not pretend you could.

I'll bear that in mind next time I see you volunteer for anything.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #409 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:20:12 am »

Can anyone explain the rationale of the giant chain ring? Is he grinding out an incredibly low cadence or something?

Can't seem to work out the advantage such a big ring would give in the real world vs say the track.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #410 on: 06 July, 2018, 01:01:08 am »
I'll bear that in mind next time I see you volunteer for anything.

That's a bit of a boring trope. Plenty of people volunteer in lots of things, does that affect their ability to have an opinion about something else?

It's ok to complain about things if they are actually really shit, regardless of someone's volunteer status and hours in the bank.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #411 on: 06 July, 2018, 01:51:51 am »
Are you the forum sycophant?

He said:
If you cant thoroughly supervise a record attempt, you should not pretend you could

Which is nonsense because the UMCA have never said they would supervise it.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #412 on: 06 July, 2018, 06:14:26 am »
Would it be UMCA allowed to have someone driving you up the top of a 20 mile climb, then cycle down, then drive up, then cycle down?

It is hypothetical, but do the regulations allow any type of cycling, so an Esher type scenario like the above where one is constantly going downhill would be OK?

« Reply #413 on: 06 July, 2018, 06:30:00 am »

AFAIK, there are only two who actually keep the records up to date and unless someone tells them what is going on, they will not be aware. At one time UMCA had the manpower to check around the ultra racing circuit, but no longer.

It's simple: Don't announce, what you can not really do. I perfectly understand that a volunteer organisation has limited ressources. But if you can't thoroughly supervise a record attempt, you should not pretend you could.

And I am afraid that Miles Smith will definitely need laborious examination to comprehensibly keep track of his attempt.

Possibly, though I expect that it would end in another abandoned attempt.
In theory, everyone should have a follow car all the time. The UMCA knew that this was unlikely to happen for a year, which is why we have the live trackers, which have to be shown in public. Phtos, films and witnesses are encouraged. Each days ride must be uploaded within 24 hours. Everyone has used Strava so far but IIRC emailing the file from the GPS is acceptable. The UMCA are aware that GPSs can fail etc, so will accept tracking data, which will give a lower mileage.
Riders are now obliged to have a crew chief for HAMR (but not a HMMR) since Bruce Berkley gave the UMCA the runaround and they pulled the plug on his attempt. This is so that the UMCA can communicate with the rider, who will mostly be asleep or out riding. So I assume that Miles has at least 1 person helping him, or at least has their name down as a helper, unless the rules have changed since I set off 17 months ago.
UMCA only checked the rides every few days or maybe once a week.

« Reply #414 on: 06 July, 2018, 06:51:04 am »
Would it be UMCA allowed to have someone driving you up the top of a 20 mile climb, then cycle down, then drive up, then cycle down?

It is hypothetical, but do the regulations allow any type of cycling, so an Esher type scenario like the above where one is constantly going downhill would be OK?

It is allowed.
Assuming a 30mph descent (40 mins) and driving uphill at 60mph (20 mins) That's an average cycling speed of evens. But for that to work, you'd need a van that the rider can ride up a ramp into and set off immediately as the door closes and a mountain with a straight enough road to allow 60mph average speed. So probably more like 40mph  average which would still be around 17.5mph average.

This assumes you can find at least 1 van (preferably 2 in relay) plus driver(s)
Inside the van(s) you'd need something to block the tracker signal so it can be switched off, so as not to record miles traveled in the van. You'd need to end the GPS file and start a new one on each descent.

What I think would be more effective is to have 2 follow support vehicles (motor homes, as Mark Beaumont did with his round the world record) and crew. Ride across a huge, flat land mass with a tailwind for several days, a week or fortnight. So probably Australia. Then when you run out of flat rad with tailwind, have your private jet fly you and your bike back to the other end where your 2nd support is waiting. The 1st support motorhome drives back as you ride with the tailwind and your jet flies back to the other end.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #415 on: 06 July, 2018, 07:56:46 am »

It is allowed.
Assuming a 30mph descent (40 mins) and driving uphill at 60mph (20 mins) That's an average cycling speed of evens. But for that to work, you'd need a van that the rider can ride up a ramp into and set off immediately as the door closes and a mountain with a straight enough road to allow 60mph average speed. So probably more like 40mph  average which would still be around 17.5mph average.

This assumes you can find at least 1 van (preferably 2 in relay) plus driver(s)
Inside the van(s) you'd need something to block the tracker signal so it can be switched off, so as not to record miles traveled in the van. You'd need to end the GPS file and start a new one on each descent.

What I think would be more effective is to have 2 follow support vehicles (motor homes, as Mark Beaumont did with his round the world record) and crew. Ride across a huge, flat land mass with a tailwind for several days, a week or fortnight. So probably Australia. Then when you run out of flat rad with tailwind, have your private jet fly you and your bike back to the other end where your 2nd support is waiting. The 1st support motorhome drives back as you ride with the tailwind and your jet flies back to the other end.

Thanks.

I was thinking more in terms of having "rest days" (maybe once a week?) when one still clocks a respectable mileage, but without putting any real effort. 10 x 20 miles descents would take 7 hours or so on the saddle with almost zero power output... another 4-5 hours or so spent on a van...

Bit of a shortcut, admittedly... not in the spirit of the competition

« Reply #416 on: 06 July, 2018, 09:56:48 am »

In theory, everyone should have a follow car all the time. The UMCA knew that this was unlikely to happen for a year, which is why we have the live trackers, which have to be shown in public. Phtos, films and witnesses are encouraged. Each days ride must be uploaded within 24 hours. Everyone has used Strava so far but IIRC emailing the file from the GPS is acceptable. The UMCA are aware that GPSs can fail etc, so will accept tracking data, which will give a lower mileage.
Riders are now obliged to have a crew chief for HAMR (but not a HMMR) since Bruce Berkley gave the UMCA the runaround and they pulled the plug on his attempt. This is so that the UMCA can communicate with the rider, who will mostly be asleep or out riding. So I assume that Miles has at least 1 person helping him, or at least has their name down as a helper, unless the rules have changed since I set off 17 months ago.
I do follow him on facebook - he hasn't mentioned a crew chief but does have a loyal following in Oz (they see him as a 'rebel'). He responds to messages so I'll ask him.
Miles is getting some support from a bike shop that does mobile repairs (he mentions what a great job they do quite often) so it is very possible someone from that shop/mobile unit is acting as his crew chief.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #417 on: 06 July, 2018, 12:10:43 pm »
My Melbourne OZ contact replied ... but does not add much

I didn’t know that he had started.

He had all sorts of plans
1 month record, MTB record but I haven’t seen him for a while.

Some months ago he had his MTB stolen and his ‘record’ bike
backed into by a truck, so he was not going well for a while.

He was talking about a professional mechanic crew.
But I don’t know much more.

« Reply #418 on: 06 July, 2018, 01:07:39 pm »

He said:
If you cant thoroughly supervise a record attempt, you should not pretend you could

I think you should withdraw that remark.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #419 on: 06 July, 2018, 02:03:08 pm »

He said:

I think you should withdraw that remark.

Referred to forum mods.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #420 on: 07 July, 2018, 09:51:28 am »
I am told that this is an update on progress

Start date of July 3, 2018
3 riding days through July 5, 2018
Total  726.3 miles
Average 242.1 miles per day

For comparison to existing HAMR records;
Kurt Searvogel 76,076 miles with 208.43 miles per day (This is the Male Overall record as well as the record for the 50-59 age category)
Amanda Coker 86,573.2 miles with 237.19 miles per day

Existing HMMR records:
Amanda Coker 8012.5 miles (267.08 miles per day)
Steven Abraham 7104.3 miles (236.81 miles per day)
A record for Males 50-59 in HMMR has not yet been certified.

« Reply #421 on: 07 July, 2018, 11:08:42 pm »

[/quote

I do follow him on facebook - he hasn't mentioned a crew chief but does have a loyal following in Oz (they see him as a 'rebel'). He responds to messages so I'll ask him.
Miles is getting some support from a bike shop that does mobile repairs (he mentions what a great job they do quite often) so it is very possible someone from that shop/mobile unit is acting as his crew chief.
Response

What's a crew chief?  It's me, solo, Randonneur. 😄
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #422 on: 08 July, 2018, 10:23:15 am »
I haven't seen anything from him to demonstrate he's better prepared this time than his last attempt.

« Reply #423 on: 24 September, 2019, 12:39:36 pm »
 For the sake of completeness:

WRAA*-record holder Miles Smith added two more tries:

Starting at the beginning of September, restarting last week. Both attempts were over after ~3 days, first stopped after a (minor) accident, second because of health issues.

According to Miles, the mileages ridden were impressive each time, but are unfortunately partly untraceable due to diverse technical problems.

Nevertheless he's planning to be going out again ASAP.  ::-)

https://de-de.facebook.com/GoMilesAU/

*world-record-attempt-announcements

S2L

« Reply #424 on: 24 September, 2019, 02:00:41 pm »
He should probably cure his toe nail fungus, which not only is quite disgusting, but it doesn't help long distance cycling either