Author Topic: 2010/11 Plans  (Read 9317 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: 2010/11 Plans
« Reply #25 on: 08 December, 2009, 07:41:35 am »
I have more plans than usual.  In no particular order ...

1. The BIG event will be our two week French cycle camping tour.  A first for the three of us.
2. The Dun Run
3. California (in Norfolk!) and back
4. Keep riding thru the winter
5. Get out on as many Wednesday nights as possible
6. Do 2000 miles in 2010
7. Get everyone fit and happy for the BIG event
8. The Freeze Your Bits Off mid-Jaunary YACF S24O camping trip

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #26 on: 08 December, 2009, 07:48:38 am »
Across (well, down, mostly) the Western Ghats and along the coast to Goa, then back by train, with Karthik and Balaji, in January if all goes well.

After January I don't even know what country I'm going to be living in, so no point making any plans.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #27 on: 08 December, 2009, 07:55:44 am »
Let's see:

A clutch of 200s and 300s starting with a 200 incorporating the Watership Down in January
The French mountains in early June with my non-Audax chums
The Copper Slipper of Destiny ride/camping trip  in mid-June
The Crackpot 1000 as a perm in July
The Mille Cymru at the end of July
At least one FNRttC

H

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 08 December, 2009, 08:36:00 am »
2010;

springtime tour of (old) Zeeland
SR
Ariegoise
Lowlands 1200

retire!

« Reply #29 on: 08 December, 2009, 08:46:26 am »
I have every intention of being on Unst for summer solstice with bike, tent and associated gubbins.   Other than that, nothing yet planned..

I keep saying that I'd like to do the Dun Run.   I'd also like to cycle-camp LEJoG.   If it looks possible I might try to fit in LEJoG with my trip to Unst.   After that the Dun Run will be a breeze...     

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #30 on: 10 December, 2009, 01:49:13 pm »
Plans for 2010

- (Re)start my all-the-way commute come March/April time and keep at it - no going back to the train just because it's got dark.
- London-Cambridge (hope to get a work team together).
- Oxford-Cambridge.
- a 100-miler (targeted for this year but not done) possibly the Suffolk Sunrise charity ride.
- Some more YACF rides.
- Some new routes round where I live - 2 I definitely want to do are Newmarket to Saffron Walden and Bury St Edmunds - I am very unadventurous at the moment with where I ride and these will be a good start.
- Beat my very-nearly-achieved 2009 target of averaging 300 miles a month - I'm going to go for 400 a month. For various reasons I don't really have much time on the bike in June, so this average is actually over 11 months, not 12.
- Related to that - and the real target of next year - do more miles on the bike than I do in a car. I should qualify that by saying as a PASSENGER, as I don't drive.

Finally - I'd like to do the Dun Run.

:)
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #31 on: 11 December, 2009, 04:05:14 pm »
I really want to do the YACF Andover camp next year.  Was pretty gutted to have missed it this year.

Also I want to get stronger/faster. Part of that is getting down to around 13 stone (so only 16 pounds to go). The other part is doing hillyish rides fixed.

Would like to do at least a 200k audax on fixed.

For my other audax related plans see below . . .
Owner of a languishing Langster

John Henry

« Reply #32 on: 31 May, 2010, 02:12:46 pm »
1) More cycle camping. I've always enjoyed camping and I've always enjoyed cycling, but only in 2009 did I combine the two. And what fun it was! So I'm hoping to do a few weekend trips, some with the wife, some solo, some with mates if I can persuade them.

2) A decent long tour - at least a week, and hopefully two. Currently havering about the location for this - thinking about Pyrenees, Brittany/western France, western Scotland or Wales.

3) Get into healthier mindset - stop taking any notice of distances and speed; just get out there and ride. Stop doing the same old routes, lovely as they are. Do more hills.

Threadcromancy. So how are those plans working out, folks?

It seems about the right time to 'fess up and say that my plans have changed a bit since I wrote the above, and I got talked into doing LE-JoG. I'm off in just over three weeks. I did JoG-LE about ten years ago when I was younger, fitter and slimmer. The question is, am I still up to it? We'll know in just over five weeks' time...

« Reply #33 on: 31 May, 2010, 02:15:07 pm »
2010 (firm) plans: take two months away from the rat race to cycle in Australia and New Zealand.
2011 (tentative) plans: take 12 months away from the rat race to cycle in... ;)

« Reply #34 on: 31 May, 2010, 06:45:56 pm »
Threadcromancy. So how are those plans working out, folks?

Ride from Perpignan to Hendaye as riding as light as possible on a flattish route then do the 4 day supported Raid Pyrenean back to Perpignan where I'll have parked the vehicle.

I've no plans to replace the batteries in my cycle computer(s) all of which expired at least a year ago..

Total change.  Now intend to drive to the start of the RP and cycle back with a tent to where I left the van.
..and I am going to change the batteries in my cycle computer.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #35 on: 31 May, 2010, 09:39:21 pm »
As a rider:
2010 SR series (my own one) and the White Nights 1200. Probably a few other 200 BRM's and some other events. Some touring in France and maybe, if I log enough overtime, some touring in Russia before the White Nights 1200.
2011 SR series, 1000km BRM and PBP. The usual stuff every four years ;)

As an organiser:
SR series in both 2010 and 2011, co-organising the Lowlands 1200 in 2010 and probably an extra night time 200 somewhere in the summer of 2011.

SR series for this year organised. Some troubles because of late snow but in the end all was allright. Rode all my events 1-2 weeks before the official date so the SR series is done. An extra 300 also and next weekend an extra 400. Not enough overtime, so no touring in Russia. But the visa for Russia is applied, the trains and ferry booked.  So far quite on schedule.

« Reply #36 on: 31 May, 2010, 10:11:01 pm »
How are the plans going ? Not too good. Injury and some work stuff has put paid to Mille Cymru but I am rding my Merckx more and I still hope to do the steam train thing, maybe August

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #37 on: 01 June, 2010, 04:59:32 pm »
How are the plans going ? Not too good. Injury and some work stuff has put paid to Mille Cymru but I am rding my Merckx more and I still hope to do the steam train thing, maybe August

good man :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 01 June, 2010, 05:02:05 pm »

good man :thumbsup:
early August is the Pickering Steam Fair but there isn't much info. available for it. The showground has changed hands and I think the event was in doubt so this year I supposeit may not be as good as it used to be

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #39 on: 01 June, 2010, 06:22:29 pm »
If I put something down in writing I might be more inclined to do it, so here goes:

Get bottom onto saddle (road bike)
Once bottom onto above saddle, get out on the road and see what happens

Attend some rides, no idea where and when but I will do, it come hell or high water

Keep riding the MTB as it is such good fun

Use the Pashley for my shopping, whenever possible

Then see what happens and where my fancy takes me 8)

Of course the above is somewhat dependent on the outcome of the scans and the surgeon's recommendations

« Reply #40 on: 01 June, 2010, 06:45:29 pm »
I started this year without any sort of plan, and havent done near enough because of work mainly

plans for rest of year include a number of audaxes (at least one a month) from July onwards when I get back off hols, a three or four day tour of somewhere ( undecided yet) but maybe  edinburgh - home , or a big circuit  of the Yorkshire wolds moors and Dales

The Brompton World Championships are entered for October :thumbsup:

Next year going to do my SR, which I had planned last year but a dicky knee put paid to it. And cycle in Paris early in the morning in April 8)

pixieannie

• Partial to a dash of chainsaw oil
« Reply #41 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:49:48 pm »
I did it.... yippee doodle dandie,  Went out on the Cyfac for the first time.  11 miles in total which is just fine for me.  It was twitchy, standing up may take a while to get used to as I almost picked the bike up and threw it into the ditch.  I stuck to main roads and dual carriageway, cycled by three blokes who seemed oblivious to all around them.  I hate road pedals, so much faffing at traffic lights when I go to move on.

It's prob not much of an achievement for most but I have been building up to this for a year.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 02 June, 2010, 02:51:15 pm »
Fab :D
Getting there...

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #43 on: 06 June, 2010, 01:55:09 pm »
I have more plans than usual.  In no particular order ...

1. The BIG event will be our two week French cycle camping tour.  A first for the three of us.  Training more or less on track, all gear purchased
2. The Dun Run  Not going to do this, buggered by logistics and lack of time
3. California (in Norfolk!) and back Still in the plan
4. Keep riding thru the winter Yes, pretty much achieved.  Would have liked to done more had it not been for a lack of time, extreme weather and a knackered shoulder caused by falling off on some ice
5. Get out on as many Wednesday nights as possible Yes, when time allows
6. Do 2000 miles in 2010 On track
7. Get everyone fit and happy for the BIG event Going just fine
8. The Freeze Your Bits Off mid-January YACF S24O camping trip Did this, great fun

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #44 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:18:47 pm »
Green is achieved.  Amber is in progress, or not as much as I'd hoped.  Red is not done.

Our plans (as far as I know):

Camping tour in August.  Normally, we ride between Mildenhall and the Camping & Caravan Club's National Feast of Lanterns, or the other way around.  However, as the NFOL is going to be in Scotland this year, we'd have to be seriously mile-munching to do it this year :-\

Various camping trips with the ALC & Nobby's band of brigands.

Clarion rides.  London Clarion seems to have about four active members, so we like to head off to join in with the Brighton & Hove Section.

We aim to increase our WARTY scores next year, if the opportunity arises :)

FNR - at least one in the year would be fab :thumbsup:

DunRun?  Not sure...

A 10 mile TT at some point.  Probably on my Woodrup, but I may even give the Rudge a go ;D

Loads of commuting.  And Superstoker wants to get commuting to school on his bike (they have some nice new (and barely used as yet) racks).

Overall target for me remains 8760km.  Even with various injuries & crises, I will have managed over 7500km, so it's a definite possible.

I'd like to up my fixed distances.

And more just getting on the bike & going.  I've finally paid off my car loan, so I want to get that sorted & sold, which should help me not be so lazy (though the car gets no more than an average of one trip a week, probably less)
Getting there...

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #45 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:20:46 pm »
Can you retype that using different types of font.It means nothing to me...I'm colour blind.
Thanks in anticipation  :D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #46 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:24:28 pm »
A couple of camping trips, the Dun Run (why?  because I'd miss it more than I hate doing it; it is often a ride to exhaustion for me), four FNRttSes and an awful lot of commutes.  Have given up on the local CTC rides now because I can't ride that slowly without freezing to death.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #47 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:43:52 pm »
Determined effort to reduce mileage - no more than 125 in any one week, max 5000 for the year.

Sell nearly all the bikes and spares-stuff early spring.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:44:32 pm »
Can you retype that using different types of font.It means nothing to me...I'm colour blind.
Thanks in anticipation  :D

In the interests of inclusion, I could.

But I CBA :P

In summary - we did some camping & touring, circumstances conspired against Dun Run, WARTYs & Clarion rides, and I bottled TT.

Oh - and I didn't get round to selling the car yet.

Anyone want a Toyota Avensis? ;)
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #49 on: 16 November, 2010, 08:51:01 pm »
Okay, let's see...

Get fitness back up to a reasonable (ha!) level following the swine flu and inevitable too-cold-to-breathe-season hiatus.

It was ever thus.  Suspect I'll be starting 2011 in a better state of fitness than I did this year, though.

Some sort of decent touring.  Loitering within tent.

Yup, did quite a lot of that.  :thumbsup:

Complete the Dun Run, by fair means or foul, hopefully without acquiring a following of unlit stoners.

And that.  Acquired a following of earwigs instead.

Leave the house, turn left onto Bristol Road and keep going until I reach Bristol (as I once humorously gave as cycling directions to a Bristolian friend who was catching a train home from New Street).

Didn't get round to this one.  Did end up in Bristol with a bike on a few occasions, sometimes with *hilarious* consequences.

Ride to the Anderby Drainage Museum (don't ask).

Achieved, as an extension of the excellent FNRttC Cleethorpes edition.  The museum was closed.

And of course assorted YACF rides, FNRttCs.

Many of the former, three and a half of the latter:  The spectacular Martlets ride in March, the spectacularly wet Southend ride in April, the afore-mentioned York-Cleethorpes ride and I failed to make it to Whitstable in October.

Try to achieve a significantly greater annual mileage than 2009 (currently at about 2300 miles with November off for illness, very unlikely to do more than another hundred by the end of the year).

Huge success, in a disappointing because it could have been a lot more sort of way.  In spite of a late start, I clocked up a lot of miles over the summer in an attempt to develop 'bent legs in time for the Dun Run.

I've also managed to become thoroughly converted (though Meegat of this parish would argue that it was latent) to the Dark Side; ride more than 200km in a go; ride a tandem (both ends); stop thinking of myself as 'slow' (though I'm still not going to qualify as 'fast'); overcome my fear of hills; develop a fear of badgers and generally scare myself with what you can do given the right bike, opportunity to ride it and just a bit of insane bloody-minded determination.

I also managed to pick up some more fettling skills along the way.   :thumbsup: