Author Topic: 12th July - Enigma collection day - Polegate, East Sussex  (Read 13019 times)

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
Re: 12th July - Enigma collection day - Polegate, East Sussex
« Reply #25 on: 10 July, 2008, 10:30:05 pm »
Oh ye of little faith.

Yeah October should see you back three months in a B&B waiting for frame and a day cycling back   ;D
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #26 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:16:28 pm »
Thanks for your valued contributions FWN and Pete.
With those and between Pluck's travel-o-meter and my (still in the post) maps we should manage to reach London by, oh... November  :D
Oh dear, I've been quite hopeless in helping to plan this route.  :-[

Why do something when you can leave it to two delightful boys to do it for you?  :D

« Reply #27 on: 10 July, 2008, 11:23:23 pm »
With those and between Pluck's travel-o-meter and my (still in the post) maps we should manage to reach London by, oh... November  :D

Why do something when you can leave it to two delightful boys to do it for you?  :D

Don't worry about it  :)
All is in hand. All Jurek and I need to know is when to get down there for.

I'm leaving Jurek in charge of getting there, and I'll do the getting back.

Have you checked that they'll definitely be able to have your bike ready?  :P

« Reply #28 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:36:48 am »
Just PMd you and Jurek :)

See you bright and early in the morning. Yawn.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #29 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:39:27 am »
Good luck, fingers crossed!!   :D

And if you see Reilly, kick him in the nadgers for me!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #30 on: 11 July, 2008, 11:44:24 am »
Fatters  :-*

*No comment until I have my bike in my hands*  O:-)

« Reply #31 on: 11 July, 2008, 12:38:58 pm »

Don't worry, the only route planning I did for the Norfolk tour that I lead organised was to get myself from work to L'poo st station. Other People (mainly Greg) did the rest. In fact that TFL map was the only one I remembered... I *think* I got away with it  ;D

I would have come on this but the last two busy weekends have left me in desperate need of a long lie-in tomorrow, I is knackered. And you is all faster people than me anyhow. The best of British luck getting your paws on the bike though!

« Reply #32 on: 11 July, 2008, 01:24:28 pm »
Thanks Laura!   ;D I can read a map and plan routes, but only if I'm forced to.  ;)

Jurek & Pluckster: we have an addition to the party. My friend Nav is going to get the train down and join us on the return leg. Yes, he will have a bike. Ooh, another Ti bike! We'll all be riding Ti-high!

Ahem.

Not sure when he's going to arrive though. Does our return route go past Polegate station again, or is there somewhere else prominent he could meet us?

:-*

« Reply #33 on: 11 July, 2008, 01:30:05 pm »
No, the return route does not go past Polegate as it is in the opposite direction.

He should have plenty of time to ride to Enigma or he can come down with Jurek and myself.

« Reply #34 on: 11 July, 2008, 01:33:57 pm »
No, the return route does not go past Polegate as it is in the opposite direction.

Good, good. Glad I asked.  ;)

He should have plenty of time to ride to Enigma or he can come down with Jurek and myself.
OK, he can come with us. We're all going together on the 0747, aren't we?

« Reply #35 on: 11 July, 2008, 01:37:04 pm »
Yes. I was under the impression you were going earlier than us to allow time for the fettling, but it's probably best that we all go together.

« Reply #36 on: 11 July, 2008, 09:02:41 pm »
Right, I am off to bed once I've finished this budget.  >:(

I will see you both at Victoria at 0730 hours tomorrow.

Hasta manana!  :)

« Reply #37 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:33:36 am »
Mid-transplant update. Half the kit has been transferred. They're umming and ahing quite a bit. 

Jurek and Sgt Pluck are en route.

Keep fingers crossed, people.

« Reply #38 on: 12 July, 2008, 10:41:24 am »
Oooohhhh.... any chance of some pictures later today?
Your good health to ride the new bike, and safe journey home.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 12 July, 2008, 11:48:46 am »
Fingers firmly crossed.
Getting there...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #40 on: 12 July, 2008, 01:49:20 pm »
She got the "newish" ride and the 3 of them are on route back to the smog. Awaiting ride reports from them to hear how it is going and if she likes it still after 3 years waiting.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #41 on: 12 July, 2008, 04:13:36 pm »
Update: Sgt Pluck's had another visit, so time to post. And stretch. My lower back, neck,  shoulders and right knee are very sore indeed after about 45 miles. I think I need a longer stem as the one I've got is 60mm. The setup still isn't right, though the bike looks more "balanced".

So "argh". I still reserve judgement.

Sgt Pluck's wheel has just exploded with a almighty bang! I don't think he's too amused... :-/ 

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #42 on: 12 July, 2008, 04:35:17 pm »
It took me a year to get my Enigma right. It's brilliant now.

I just wish I'd changed things sooner rather than thinking "it's a custom frame, it MUST be right".  :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #43 on: 12 July, 2008, 07:02:03 pm »
Home.
Knackered.
But in a very good way.
Not going to say any more for the moment - I'll let Peli do the first words.

« Reply #44 on: 12 July, 2008, 07:49:41 pm »
Hello hello! Now safely back and about to stuff my face :)

Thanks so much to Simon + Jurek for accompanying me on what was quite a daunting trip. I really appreciate it.

Having got home and compared the Enigma to my Focus (which is a very comfy ride) I think it's possible to sort out the set up. First stop new stem and bars.

Big thanks to Jim Walker - a truly good guy - who has done his very best to sort this out for me. He even threw in some new forks, headset, chain and front mech for free as the ones on the original frame didn't fit.

The ride back was pretty tough, through pretty rolling lanes with a nice butty stop at a quaint pub (where they were filming for something or other). We shared the pub with film extras and a troop of aged motorcycle riders (adjective refers to both bikes + riders ;) , one of whom bore a remarkable resemblance to Peter Kay. :)

Woolly's got some before and after pics of the Om-nigma. Not a huge noticeable difference, but I think (hope) it will be crucial.

Cheers again, J + S for a superb day!

Ps, Sgt Pluck, change those tyres ;) ;)

« Reply #45 on: 12 July, 2008, 07:59:01 pm »
Ps, Sgt Pluck, change those tyres ;) ;)

These Michelin Pro 3s are not working out  :( Really lovely to ride but too prone to punctures of the tyre-wrecking kind.

Once I had the tube changed I did a Dave and put little teeny weeny bit more air in it: blew the ass clean out of it; every bird and animal within a mile ran for cover.

I had a really, really good day  :)

Here's where we went:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Enigma120708

I was really impressed by some of the frames I saw at Enigma. The forming of the ti tubes is much more advanced than in my VN Yukon. They also had a very nice looking steel frame (Columbus tubing) on display which I was really impressed with. The plan is to have some steel frames alongside the titanium and carbon, and I believe an Audax type steel frame is planned. All at the firm seemed really helpful and Peli's bike looks well put together.

A stem of normal length and a bit more than normal rise will sort the position out I think.

I took on board some of Pete's suggestions for a route from Herstmonceaux to London - thanks a lot for that - and made it up on Memory Map - there were some fantastic lanes and I'd happily train it down there again for a repeat performance. The difficult bit was getting through / past Croydon but Jurek's local knowledge proved invaluable.

Thanks for the company, both  ;D

Yes, film sets, vintage motorbikes, ageing motorcyclists - and Jurek claims he saw a UFO but has not revealed any more about this since. I can only assume the little men told him to keep shtum.

Check out the route profile at about 90 km: Chalk Pit Lane. Ouch - wasn't expecting that one.

« Reply #46 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:18:57 pm »
Sgt Pluck's wheel has just exploded with a almighty bang! I don't think he's too amused... :-/ 

;D

I thought I showed remarkable equanimity.

« Reply #47 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:19:35 pm »
Yes - ouch ouch ouch indeed. Lots of 20 percent. That just didn't want to stop!  ;)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #48 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:20:02 pm »
Well here it is and soon to feature in members bikes too :)

The seat tube is more up right, there is more space between the bottom bracket and the rear hub, the front wheel is further ahead (what ever that is called) The only thing missing now is some red bar tape to match the red in the logo and longer stem.

Though we need to figure out what to call it, any ideas ?

She is a very happy bunny now :)

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Dave

« Reply #49 on: 12 July, 2008, 08:24:24 pm »
Ooh. Pretty :thumbsup: