Author Topic: 'SEG's 75' Reliability Ride, Wickford, Essex, 28/2/16 Oh, and stunning new video  (Read 1079 times)

The SEG's 75 Reliability Ride, which is organised by the South Essex Group (SEG) of the Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC), takes place on February 28th 2016. This established 75-mile event, which takes in some beautiful countryside, is considered by many to be the first 'real' Essex cycle ride of the year. It's popular as a 'warm-up' with the local racing community. Starting from the Wickford Café Restaurant, 1-7 The Broadway, Wickford, Essex SS11 7AD, there are 3 start-time options - 8.30am (7-hour ride), 9am (6-hour ride) and 9.30am (5-hour ride). Wickford is easily-accessible from London via the Liverpool Street to Southend Victoria line; nearby car-parking will be available on the day.

Summary
Event date/s: 28/2/16
Event location: Start/finish in Wickford, Essex
Event organiser: South East Group (SEG) of Essex CTC
Cost of entry:  £6.00 (postal entries, cheques made payable to 'South East Group'); £7.00 ('on the line').

Sound like your thing? Go to http://www.essexcycling.co.uk/events/ for more information.

We look forward to seeing some of you!

Incidentally, 2015 marked the 40th anniversary of the South East Group, the Essex CTC section that runs the SEGs 75.

A professional-looking documentary (the full DVD version of which is intended to raise money for charity) celebrated this milestone – and the history of cycling in Essex generally. It lives at https://youtu.be/IZnZrqwUi6c Enjoy!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
A good ride. I doubt that I will take part in the official version as I'm too slow, but it's highly recommended.

Sadly, it seems that on the selected date the trains aren't running from London* and it's a bus service from Newbury Park. It would appear that the trains from Southend terminate at Wickford.

I have to say that the purist in me prefers the old route, simply because whoever devised it, long before GPS was even a thing, managed to fit the entire 75 mile route onto OS map no 167 (Chelmsford & Harlow). Now it starts in Wickford it takes another sheet (Thames Estuary sheet 178). I will probably do the old route as a solo ride at some stage.

*Fenchurch Street to Basildon and then ride...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.