Author Topic: External power for the Edge 705?  (Read 14729 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: External power for the Edge 705?
« Reply #25 on: 15 July, 2010, 02:58:29 pm »
The leading tech journal that carried out a 'test' in an office full of people?  ;D

So it doesn't it work in an office full of people? That's even worse than I thought! ;)

Just have to get your own office!!  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 15 July, 2010, 06:52:28 pm »
Bloke here got iPhone 4 and says it works fine. He got the bumper for not breaking it reasons anyway though.

Maybe you need to be sweaty.

As for my portapow it arrived with no mini USB tip. :(

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #27 on: 15 July, 2010, 09:05:46 pm »
As for my portapow it arrived with no mini USB tip. :(

Boo! Ask them for 2!

simonp

« Reply #28 on: 16 July, 2010, 10:46:18 am »
I borrowed the mini USB tip from my Powermonkey to try it out.

One issue: the back light is either on or off with external power, the timeout doesn't seem to work.  Is this normal?  It'll reduce overnight battery life substantially, I guess.

« Reply #29 on: 16 July, 2010, 11:18:54 am »
Not normal with mine. Hit the power button and reduce the screen brightness. It should light up for however long you tell it to when it bleeps to warn you of junctions

simonp

« Reply #30 on: 16 July, 2010, 11:53:28 am »
Not normal with mine. Hit the power button and reduce the screen brightness. It should light up for however long you tell it to when it bleeps to warn you of junctions

Hmm.  Not tried navigating in the dark yet, this was just sat indoors looking at the screen.

I have backlight set at say 5% and timeout set at 15s, and with external power it is on all the time.

« Reply #31 on: 16 July, 2010, 11:59:42 am »
Reduce it then, whilst the external is plugged in.

I do remember this happening to me on my first night ride with ext. but I can't remember how I rectified it.

Take it out on the bike in the dark tonight

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #32 on: 16 July, 2010, 01:12:33 pm »
Fanboys can only see what their master tells them to.

Only fanboys can see what their master sells to them.

Apple Claims New iPhone Only Visible To Most Loyal Of Customers

« Reply #33 on: 16 July, 2010, 01:41:38 pm »
 ;D

« Reply #34 on: 17 July, 2010, 09:46:31 am »

Hmm.  Not tried navigating in the dark yet, this was just sat indoors looking at the screen.

I have backlight set at say 5% and timeout set at 15s, and with external power it is on all the time.

I just run with the backlight on all night - set to the minimum level. That's intentional though; I like to be able to tell at a glance that I'm still on route. Once you've set the backlight level with the power supply plugged in it remembers it.

« Reply #35 on: 17 July, 2010, 10:23:37 am »
I don't need that as it switches on the backlight when I approach turns and also if I go off route, with the sat-nav type settings I use

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #36 on: 17 July, 2010, 10:28:52 am »
I don't need that as it switches on the backlight when I approach turns and also if I go off route, with the sat-nav type settings I use

Yes, this is how I like using it. Means I can turn off the beeps.
Sounds like I need to set the backlight settings before connecting external supply then.

Really must start an FAQ...

« Reply #37 on: 17 July, 2010, 10:34:30 am »
You can set it on the fly. Just hit the power button and the slider will appear. Choose your setting then press the joystick button to close

« Reply #38 on: 18 July, 2010, 09:22:52 am »
I think the cable is the trick....

My PowerMonkey just puts it straight into computer mode whereas the Freeloader enables use.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #39 on: 18 July, 2010, 10:08:56 am »
Yes. Some USB cables do that. Must be the pin arrangement.
It is simpler than it looks.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #40 on: 18 July, 2010, 10:26:38 am »
Yes, I think you're right, Jaded. I had a problem connecting my TomTom to my pc recently until I realised it was the USB cable - I'd been using one that was obviously "power only".

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #41 on: 18 July, 2010, 10:34:18 am »

If you're talking about the backlight issue then it won't be the cable. A data cable would put it into computer mode straight away.

(See separate threads for descriptions of how power-only cables different from data cables.)

Simon, it could be behaviour that's been changed recently with a firmware upgrade, have you done the webupdater thingy since buying it?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #42 on: 18 July, 2010, 11:17:42 am »

If you're talking about the backlight issue then it won't be the cable. A data cable would put it into computer mode straight away.

(See separate threads for descriptions of how power-only cables different from data cables.)

Simon, it could be behaviour that's been changed recently with a firmware upgrade, have you done the webupdater thingy since buying it?

Ah yes, I did.  And yesterday I saw this in the release notes for 3.20:

Changes made from version 3.10 to 3.20:

# Backlight setting now saved to configuration and set automatically on power-on.

So it's possible that change has also introduced this behaviour, but I dunno if others are using 3.20 and seeing the same behaviour.

« Reply #43 on: 26 November, 2013, 10:17:05 am »
Hello everyone. My first post on here. I've been using a Garmin Edge 705 for about 5 years now and have suffered a handful of device "deaths" thro flat battery when away camping etc. I have entered my first audax next weekend in Norfolk (only 100km to start) and plan to build up to longer rides that will hopefully mean I need an extended battery life. After discovering this old thread I ordered a Portapow yesterday thro' their website so thanks for your help.

Just confirmed, http://www.portablepowersupplies.co.uk/ is the dog's.
- The mini-USB tip does the magic to power up the garmin whilst riding.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #44 on: 27 November, 2013, 10:06:03 am »
After 5 years, I should think you need a new battery.  From other threads here, they are easily obtainable and easy to fit yourself.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #45 on: 27 November, 2013, 11:30:13 am »
(only 100km to start)

That's what they all say - the expression "gateway drug" springs to mind...

Look forward to reading your first 600 ride report before long! ;)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."