Author Topic: Spoke choice  (Read 4904 times)

Spoke choice
« on: 21 June, 2018, 12:22:43 pm »
Flip-flop hub, <150lbs rider, light load (packed lunch and the occasional emergency shop), commuting, day rides, no audaxes for the next 5 years.
32 hole 3-cross.
I can get DT revolution for the same price as their Comp, which saves about 60g per wheel.  DT Revolutions == Sapim Lasers, I read alot that they would not be suitable for drive-side at the rear, but I wonder whether this does not apply for fixed (or does it apply twice as that side is always under load - no coasting).

Whaddayareckon?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Re: Spoke choice
« Reply #1 on: 21 June, 2018, 03:43:14 pm »
About the last thing I'd worry about when choosing spokes is weight.  If you have a double-sided hub then both sides are driveside, or can be.

I have a bullet-proof 32-spoke fixed-wheel built with DT Alpine-III. 

« Reply #2 on: 21 June, 2018, 04:10:48 pm »
It's a fair cop.  But by that reckoning we might as well ride 36/40 with tandem spokes.  Something like Lasers/Revolutions are made to be used by actual cyclists and should be fine for the front wheel.  I was just wondering about the back.

« Reply #3 on: 21 June, 2018, 04:16:44 pm »
Yes.  I'm only talking about the rear wheel.  Currently there's a 28-spoke SON wheel on the front (good enough for PBP) — just your standard double-butted.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 21 June, 2018, 10:01:36 pm »
I think the better bracing angle of a double fixed hub means you could use the lighter spokes without overmuch lateral rim movement. That is the reason not to use them on the driveside of a heavily dished wheel.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #5 on: 21 June, 2018, 11:10:27 pm »
All things considered I think I'll go with the cheaper less likely to cause me grief in building option.  If I want to make a lightweight wheelset I should be using a lower spoke count at the front (possibly at the back too) and get myself a lighter rear hub while I'm at it.  While the weight saving is 4-10g/£ not sure it's worth it atm.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2018, 03:21:46 am »
I thought the spokes were the same price?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #7 on: 25 June, 2018, 09:50:08 am »
There's a 5iver in it.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 25 June, 2018, 10:08:45 am »
See for sale for some Sapim 294mm spokes.

« Reply #9 on: 25 June, 2018, 06:06:06 pm »
Nice, but I need 288/290.