Author Topic: Women's LEJOG record attempt  (Read 22022 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Women's LEJOG record attempt
« Reply #75 on: 30 July, 2021, 12:28:37 pm »
 Amazing :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #76 on: 30 July, 2021, 02:35:10 pm »
fantastic result - congrats!!

(made a rough comparison to my last pbp - 130km further and only 2hr longer. that's good going)

« Reply #77 on: 30 July, 2021, 02:47:27 pm »
Brilliant

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #78 on: 30 July, 2021, 06:53:56 pm »

Morning ride...

Understatement ?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #79 on: 30 July, 2021, 11:26:16 pm »
From the RRA: "Christina has finished with a provisional new record time of 2d 3h 5m 27s."

Notfromrugby

« Reply #80 on: 31 July, 2021, 01:29:34 pm »
It's a strong record... she went under Lynne's one by 90 minutes or so... exceptional!

I guess she didn't go for the thousand...  ;D

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #81 on: 31 July, 2021, 10:26:29 pm »
It's a strong record... she went under Lynne's one by 90 minutes or so... exceptional!

I guess she didn't go for the thousand...  ;D

She beat it by 99:44 - I'm guessing she won't do it again for the sake of sixteen seconds  ;)

« Reply #82 on: 31 July, 2021, 10:33:22 pm »
I think he meant carrying on for the 1,000 mile record - which Dick Poole famously missed due to a miscalculation of mileage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Poole_%28cyclist%29#The_record_he_missed

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #83 on: 31 July, 2021, 11:04:27 pm »
I think he meant carrying on for the 1,000 mile record - which Dick Poole famously missed due to a miscalculation of mileage. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Poole_%28cyclist%29#The_record_he_missed

Indeed he did, but she didn't register with the RRA for the 1000 in the first place she's now back home, so I think we're all in agreement that she didn't go for it  ;D

Nick H.

« Reply #84 on: 03 August, 2021, 09:34:13 pm »
Some more info at bikeradar today.  https://www.bikeradar.com/features/routes-and-rides/christina-mackenzie-lejog-record/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=BRR&utm_campaign=3rd%20August%20Newsletter_1105977_BikeRadar_Newsletters_7822350

Here's the text. For photos go to the link.

Mackenzie attempted the end to end two years ago, finishing the ride but missing the record. It drifted away on the penultimate climb of Helmsdale: “I felt awful, when I realised there was no way I could do it. I’d let everyone down and was really disappointed in myself. I never wanted to do it again.”

An approach from Gary Hand of Espresso Coaching changed her mind, though, leading to an intense training plan for another attempt: “I would look at what was coming up on TrainingPeaks, and just go, ‘ouch… this is going to be painful’ but it got my body ready for the stress, fatigue and recovery needed.”

One ‘long weekend’ stood out from Mackenzie’s training plan, consisting of three unsupported 200-mile rides and 10,000 metres of climbing in brutal laps of the Scottish Highlands.

While 8,000 miles in six months qualifies as ‘big miles’, her training also included intervals, threshold work, hill climbs, gym work, strength and flexibility. In short, “getting pushed further and higher each time, with everything increasing.”

Mackenzie’s bike strikes a balance between aero performance and comfort. Mackenzie rode a Liv Avow Advanced Pro 2 time trial bike for the record. Her build isn’t far removed from the stock bike, but the adaptations are significant.

Notable upgrades include the wide-range 11-32t cassette (a broad range of gears that allows you to clip along at a comfortable cadence while seated on climbs or into a headwind is more important than close spacing); the deep-but-still-manageable-in-a-crosswind FFWD 60/90mm wheelset; and the pair of Exposure lights.

Mackenzie opted for a custom aero cockpit. The bike is also very slippery, featuring a nearly integrated front brake.
Mackenzie also opted for a wide-fitting version of Shimano’s RC7 shoes. It is not unusual for feet to swell significantly on ultra-endurance rides, so this was done to avoid hot spots.

Framset: Liv Avow Advanced Pro 2 TT
Cockpit: Stock Liv base bars with custom aero extensions
Shifters: Shimano SL-BSR1 mechanical aero shifters
Crankset: 170mm Shimano Ultegra R8000 50/34 crankset with Giant Pro power meter
Rear derailleur: Shimano Ultegra R8000 medium cage rear mech
Cassette: Shimano 11/32 cassette
Saddle: Cobb Fifty Five saddle
Wheelset: FFWD F6R front wheel / FFWD F9R rear wheel,
Tyres: 23mm Continental GP5000
Pedals: Look Keo Max 2 carbon pedals
Computer: Garmin 830
Lights: Exposure Toro MK11 front light and Blaze MK2 rear light
Shoes: Shimano RC7 SPD-SL in wide fit
Helmet: Endura D2Z Aeroswitch
Christina Mackenzie aero position
Mackenzie’s position was dialled in with the help of Drew Wilson at VisualBikeFit. More important than the bike is Mackenzie’s position, which has been honed over years of endurance riding.

Being able to sustain the position with comfort is vital to avoiding injury and minimising pain: “if injured, it’s not a question of finishing the last 10 miles, it’s the length of the country. I don’t have a hugely aggressive TT position, it’s comfort over aero.”

Nevertheless, her position wouldn’t seem out of place at an out-and-back time trial – to maintain that position for 51 hours is a feat of extraordinary endurance.

For long rides, a steady headwind feels personal. For the end to end record, it is terminal. Mackenzie checked the forecast obsessively in the weeks before: “I refreshed mywindsock, every hour, again and again, but it kept changing!”

The wind proved ideal for the first 100 miles of Mackenzie’s ride up and over Bodmin Moor, with a speedy 21mph average: “At one point I was watching my heart rate come down whilst my speed went up, I was loving it! I had to reassure the team that I was in zone 1 though!”

Bristol saw the arrival of grumbling, tropical downpours: “It was wet and uncomfortable, but you could see blue sky and knew it would stop.”

Cities are a good place to watch but bring navigational challenges, invariably in the rush hour. However, having lost time during her previous attempt, getting lost in Exeter with mounting anxiety, Mackenzie knew what to expect: “this time I sailed through.”

After Bristol, the route bisects the midlands corridor, an endless spool of darkening post-industrial sprawl. A cheering Lynne Biddulph appeared amidst the murk of a Staffordshire roundabout, a brief vision amidst the darkness.

With daylight came the first big climb, the nine miles of Shap Fell. Things were going well: “Shap wasn’t a breeze, but I kept tapping away, and it was a lot more enjoyable than two years ago, because of my training.”

She opted against a planned 20-minute sleep stop in Penrith: “I didn’t feel tired and didn’t think it would gain me anything, so just had a quick change of clothes, some food, then carried on.”

Crossing the border at Gretna is a deceptive milestone, with the ‘Welcome to Scotland’ sign undermined by the small matter of a further 400 miles.

For Mackenzie, the stretch from the west to the east coast became a gruesome crawl: “If ever there was a time when I wanted to stop, it was then. It’s the worst road in the world, the surface is lumpy and horrible. I was ploughing through miles of just nothing and felt fatigue kicking in.” At Abington, the road changed direction in a neat dog-leg, and with it the wind was kind again.

Once over the Forth Bridge, groups of friends, colleagues and club members were out in force.

Home roads brought the comfort of knowing the landscape, but also heralded the serious business of the A9 and an overnight 40-mile climb to Drumochter summit: “The climb was fine, but I got cold on the descent. I stopped to put warm kit on. Then I was too hot, like the Michelin Man, so many layers I couldn’t move, I got flustered, had to stop. Then it rained so I needed another wardrobe change.”

The second night without sleep compounded matters: “I knew I was tired and there were a couple of times where I nodded off, but I kept upright.”

Mackenzie wins the prize for understatement. Falling asleep on the descent of Drumochter Pass is part of the myth of the end to end, stories abound of riders veering off the road, avoiding shadows, imaginary rabbits, that sort of thing. It is where the ride gets spicy.

Inverness marks the home straight, albeit a home straight of 120 miles with two hard climbs, Helmsdale and Berriedale, the first of which crushed Mackenzie’s previous attempt.

“At that point it was a mental game and I broke it down to a 100-mile training ride. To be honest, I enjoyed Helmsdale, I knew what was around the corner.

“Nearing the end I was crying, realising what I had done, I was trying to calm myself. At the finish someone took the bike because I couldn’t walk, and then the emotion hit me, with everyone cheering and congratulating me. I was stood there in tears.

Christina MacKenzie goes for the Lejog record, Lands End to John O'Groats Cycle. Helmsdale, Highlands and Island, Scotland, UK
Mackenzie was met with support along the length of the route. Brian Smith / Jasper Image
“The team were in tears. I didn’t want it to end, everything that I’d worked for came down to this.”

To those following, both on the road and refreshing the tracker, this remarkable ride always seemed on.

Nick H.

« Reply #85 on: 03 August, 2021, 10:37:19 pm »
I like her choice of bike...could be a good tourer! That's if you like being on the extensions, which I do. Weighs about 9.7 kgs. 

« Reply #86 on: 04 August, 2021, 05:39:43 pm »
This
A cheering Lynne Biddulph appeared amidst the murk of a Staffordshire roundabout, a brief vision amidst the darkness.

is rather lovely to read.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #87 on: 04 August, 2021, 05:48:55 pm »
I read that her TSS was 1600ish for the ride.

This compared to my 1200 ish for an 18hour 300 in East Angular shows how strong she is. Awesome ride.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #88 on: 04 August, 2021, 09:10:01 pm »

This compared to my 1200 ish for an 18hour 300 in East Angular shows how strong she is. Awesome ride.

1600 TSS for a 50+ hour ride feels very low. Almost error in measurement levels of low.

J
--

« Reply #89 on: 04 August, 2021, 09:20:20 pm »
I don't think so. She also said that the tailwind in the first section had her maintaining 20mph in zone 1. She was riding with a power meter and it was her coach sharing her Training Peaks data.

I'll have a look for the picture. It was on Facebook so will take forever to find again.

ETA
Here you go

https://www.facebook.com/1649846622010999/posts/3036607930001521/

And for the lolz, here's mine. I wasn't maintaining 20mph in zone 1. She's super strong, and amazingly slippy.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #90 on: 04 August, 2021, 10:05:02 pm »

1600 TSS for a 50+ hour ride feels very low. Almost error in measurement levels of low.

J

I agree it does feel very low.  I wonder does the TSS algorithm break down with rides like that?

« Reply #91 on: 04 August, 2021, 10:52:51 pm »
Please - what is TSS for lay people?

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #92 on: 04 August, 2021, 10:57:50 pm »

Training stress score. A way of measuring the impact of a training ride. If I understand it correctly, then a ride of 1 hours at ftp has a TSS of 100. A ride of 2 hours at 50% of FTP would be a TSS of 100 also.

J
--

« Reply #93 on: 04 August, 2021, 11:05:11 pm »
Thanks, J.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #94 on: 04 August, 2021, 11:31:19 pm »

J

I agree it does feel very low.  I wonder does the TSS algorithm break down with rides like that?

Possibly it fails to account for fatigue over lengthy and  sustained periods -I wonder what TG's daily TSS was on his year record attempts!

I've voiced similar dissatisfaction with Strava Summit "suggestions" elsewhere. 😉
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #95 on: 05 August, 2021, 09:19:55 am »

Training stress score. A way of measuring the impact of a training ride. If I understand it correctly, then a ride of 1 hours at ftp has a TSS of 100. A ride of 2 hours at 50% of FTP would be a TSS of 100 also.

J
Not according to Training Peaks (and I think they are the best source because of their involvement with Dr Coggan). Their formula is related to IF2 * - you can find it here:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/learn/articles/estimating-training-stress-score-tss/

So 2 hours at 50% of FTP is 50 TSS - if you ride a long time at a low IF then you can get surprisingly low TSS.

*IF is Intensity Factor, basically Normalized Power/FTP

« Reply #96 on: 05 August, 2021, 10:51:23 am »
Does it also measure toe-nail growth whilst training and other REALLY VITAL first world stuff?

« Reply #97 on: 02 February, 2022, 11:10:22 pm »
RRA in conversation with Christina Mackenzie - End to End record holder  :thumbsup:

https://soundcloud.com/user-971271891-227782844/rra-in-conversation-with-christina-mackenzie

Notfromrugby

« Reply #98 on: 25 May, 2022, 03:00:16 pm »
Does anyone know what the unofficial record is for a "road bike" and by that I mean something without tri bars, disc wheel etc., basically the CTT definition of "road bike category"... is it just a case of looking back at which record holder rode which bike?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #99 on: 26 May, 2022, 10:16:32 am »
John Woodburn, 45 hours 03 minutes, 1982

Andy Wilkinson lowered it by 57 seconds in 1990 but he was using tribars.

Comic report of Woodburn's ride
Comic report of Wilko's ride - he mentions his handlebars on p28

If you were looking for a soft record to beat, I'm afraid this isn't it: Woodburn was a legend and he set a very strong time!